Just received this...

Solicitation for tips generally makes me not leave one or leave less than I would have otherwise.  To me just in poor taste.  We were on a snorkeling trip once with about 40 passengers, and I honestly bet they reminded passengers to tip 15 times.  The excursion was roughly 3 hrs in duration.  We did leave a tip but much less than if we weren't constantly accosted.  

I know this is just one letter, but relatively long when one simple sentence would suffice.  And leaving it on the bed???  

Crew Welfare Fund

In case you are not aware, you can contribute to the Crew Welfare Fund at Guest Services.  

• Like 2

I have never had solicitation for a tip from a Seabourn employee.  From someone who works for a company organising excursions I can imagine that can happen, and perhaps this is the case here?

On our last SS cruise they did the same. It was a direct ask from the cruise director. We also felt that this was very inappropriate. We typically leave a tip to our butler, but getting a direct solicitation from a senior member of the ship management just felt wrong.

On one of our first few SB cruises, I covertly slipped a nice cash tip to our favorite bar tender.  He subtlety rejected the cash and quietly told me, "thank you, but you should donate that to the Crew Welfare fund via SB Square."  That moment made me a big fan the SB family, but now know that most of the crew would quickly pocket the tip :).

I will also add that one reason (of many) while we enjoy the luxury lines is that they do not generally pay this tip or tip guilt game.  Perhaps times are changing.

Hank

• Like 2