9-day Denali Cruise Tour starting in Fairbanks

Hello, 

We are on the 9-day Denali Cruise Tour starting in Fairbanks in June. We take a bus to Denali, getting to our hotel about 1:00pm. We leave early the next day on the train to anchorage. I know this is a very short time in Denali. Has anyone taken this Cruise Tour? If so, what did you do in the afternoon? I understand I can take the shuttle bus that follows the same route as the Wildlife Tour and the History Tour. It says that is a 4 hour ride if you don't get off. I feel like the 3+ hour bus ride to the park, and the 8+ hour train ride the next day, it would be too much to add another 4 hour bus ride. There is a free shuttle that goes to Mile 13 (Savage River), which is the paved part of the road, and there are trails from the visitors center. If you've taken this cruise tour, where you only had an afternoon in Denali, what did you do with your afternoon?

I did not take your tour but for an afternoon in Denali I hiked the trails near the visitor center then attended the sled dog presentation via the park shuttle .  In the evening we took the wagon ride and bbq dinner excursion.  I enjoyed the laid back evening others were equally thrilled with the evening ATV Adventure 

• Like 1

Have you gone on the nps.gov website for Denali National Park?  There is a free shuttle from the hotel to the Visitor’s Center.  You could take the Savage River free bus and enjoy that hike.   On a clear day you may be able to see Denali at one point along that bus route.  Check the schedule for the free sled dog demo at the kennels.  Get in line early for that bus or you can follow a trail to the kennels and take the bus back.  There is a lot to do and the daylight hours are long.  Jeff King’s Husky Homestead is a fun and informative excursion that may be offered by the cruise line.  

• Like 1