Minor gripe about online check-in, but gripe nonetheless

15 hours ago, astera said:

Either way it seems like there is nothing to worry about, and once you're onboard the first drink will definitely make you forget about any photo issues that might have happened earlier... 🙂

I'm not much for day drinking - my first drink will likely be a cappuccino. . . 

On 5/18/2024 at 1:13 AM, ChiefMateJRK said:

Works for me!  Of course, I'm in the minority who couldn't care less if they want to retake my photo.  I'm about to get on a cruise ship!  Ain't nothin bringing me down.😎

Perhaps the problem occurs most with those who don't drink?

That's the spirit. 🙂 You might be onto something here... in which case I'll definitely have no issues.

On 5/18/2024 at 4:53 PM, erisajd said:

I'm not much for day drinking - my first drink will likely be a cappuccino. . . 

When on a cruise I'll have beers quite regularly throughout the day, then possibly switch to wines once it gets dark. I only drink coffee out of boredom, like when waiting for someone at a cafe.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, astera said:

When on a cruise I'll have beers quite regularly throughout the day, then possibly switch to wines once it gets dark. 

That would be my preferred plan, as well. However, the basic beer menu on NCL is pretty pathetic. Unless you're on a ship with a District Brewhouse, your choices are extremely limited.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

That would be my preferred plan, as well. However, the basic beer menu on NCL is pretty pathetic. Unless you're on a ship with a District Brewhouse, your choices are extremely limited.

I'll be on the Escape next month and it does have the District Brewhouse. I've never tried it but after downloading the menu it seems quite impressive! Guinness is even available on tap and looking at the price it should be covered by the 'free at sea' package... unless there's a catch. 🙂

44 minutes ago, astera said:

I'll be on the Escape next month and it does have the District Brewhouse. I've never tried it but after downloading the menu it seems quite impressive! Guinness is even available on tap and looking at the price it should be covered by the 'free at sea' package... unless there's a catch. 🙂

No catch. All beers in the District are covered. We were on the Escape in 2022 and returning again in September.

On 5/13/2024 at 7:25 PM, RocketMan275 said:

Too many will ignore the instructions to update changed information.

Requiring you to re-enter is the best way to ensure the information is current.

THIS.

Imagine how many people would fail to carefully update and how much outdated information would be in the manifest for each trip. Dozens of people would be rejected for invalid passports 2 hours before sailing when checked by DHS. Phone numbers would be incorrect so you would not be notified if there was a boarding delay. Invalid emergency contacts. People are not reliable.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

THIS.

Imagine how many people would fail to carefully update and how much outdated information would be in the manifest for each trip. Dozens of people would be rejected for invalid passports 2 hours before sailing when checked by DHS. Phone numbers would be incorrect so you would not be notified if there was a boarding delay. Invalid emergency contacts. People are not reliable.

There is a downside of requiring passengers to re-enter their information.

We miss out on all the outraged posts about how people were denied boarding because of a simple input error.

1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

THIS.

Invalid passports would never be an issue they are scanned at the pier. Truthfully there is really no need to check in a lot of people just show up with their booking slip and a passport and are good to go. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Invalid passports would never be an issue they are scanned at the pier. Truthfully there is really no need to check in a lot of people just show up with their booking slip and a passport and are good to go. 

If they didn't have you enter them ahead of time, and relied on scanning at the pier, can you imagine how many people would show up without their passports or with invalid passports! (in addition to the 2 or 3 who always do on every cruise!)

21 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

THIS.

Nope.  At least in my experience with Princess as a comparison, there isn't pandemonium at embarkation.  With Princess, if provided in the past, we don't need to reenter anything. At online check-in, you are asked if you are still using passport with expiration date of XX (answer yes or enter new), same thing with emergency contact, phone number, etc., etc.  Plus, they put up your photo from the last time and ask if you would like to upload a new one to change it. 

Duh. Pretty easy.

• Like 1

I checked in this morning for my upcoming cruise.  Took me all of 7 minutes, photo (that I have used prior and is saved to my laptop) uploaded on first try and I had my edocs within 2 hours. Couldn't be easier or maybe I am just lucky (and really excited to be boarding in 3 weeks!).

• Like 1