John Waggoner will revive Victory Cruise Lines

I wish him luck with this (and I don't mean that sarcastically). I had a great cruise on the Navigator, although I know other cruises last year had problems, including the generator. But if he spruces them up and can match or beat Viking and ACL's prices, he could make it work. I hope he can.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

But if he spruces them up and can match or beat Viking and ACL's prices, he could make it work. I hope he can.

Yes, I too hope he can make it a go.  Would book a Lake Superior cruise that begins and ends in Chicago (with a similar itinerary to AQV’s Ocean Navigator cruise that I was originally supposed to take this August).  I agree with you that it would have to be cheaper than Viking.

It would be great if he could get the Lakelorian we had on Navigator. Great speaker, good information. 

I wonder if he could get Road Scholar back again. They booked quite a few Great Lakes cruises.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I wonder if he could get Road Scholar back again. They booked quite a few Great Lakes cruises.

Road Scholar is probably salivating at an opportunity to offer Great Lakes cruises again and I’m sure they would jump at it.  Without them leaves a terrible void in their domestic cruise offerings.

Edited by Globalfish

24 minutes ago, Globalfish said:

Road Scholar is probably salivating at an opportunity to offer Great Lakes cruises again and I’m sure they would jump at it.  Without them leaves a terrible void in their domestic cruise offerings.

I don't know how large the group was, as they didn't keep to themselves the way some groups (not RS) on large ships do. Because there was only one lounge, other passengers were invited to attend their lectures, which I thought was nice. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

If he plans to leave the vessels strictly in the Great Lakes, the corrosion problems that ocean-going ships of this age see will be pretty much eliminated, but the inspections of steel thicknesses and weld integrity that all older ships must complete will make competing with ACL's newer ships harder to do.  As others have said, I wish him luck, but he's setting a hard row to hoe.