Dietary restrictions-Excel class vs. oasis class

We're at the beginning stage of planning my 50th birthday cruise. There will be a bunch of us and we're all adults. There are a couple of members of our group that have specific dietary restrictions. We have one vegetarian and another person who can't do dairy or gluten and only eats fish for meat. Not allergies so it's not life threatening though. 

I'm trying to decide between the Mardi Gras/Celebration OR the Oasis/Wonder and I'm wondering (of these choices), which would be a better option for these restrictions? 

Does anyone with experience with both of these classes of ships have any insight? Thank you!!

Posted (edited)

Have never sailed Carnival so I cannot speak to that, but have sailed RCCL / Oasis class ships extensively and can confirm they will be able to handle your dietary concerns.  You - or your travel agent if you are using one - can reach out to the special needs department pre-cruise or go to the MDR maître d after boarding and they can arrange your meal planning then.

JMO, but you mention there will be a number of adults sailing together.  I would strongly recommend using a TA to assist as they can assure the best rates and benefits for your group while assisting with the planning and booking details - including the dietary concerns you mention. Would make your job a whole lot easier.  If you choose RCCL, while they can also assist with group bookings directly, they can direct you to a TA if you don't have one. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind

9 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Have never sailed Carnival so I cannot speak to that, but have sailed RCCL / Oasis class ships extensively and can confirm they will be able to handle your dietary concerns.  You - or your travel agent if you are using one - can reach out to the special needs department pre-cruise or go to the MDR maître d after boarding and they can arrange your meal planning then.

JMO, but you mention there will be a number of adults sailing together.  I would strongly recommend using a TA to assist as they can assure the best rates and benefits for your group while assisting with the planning and booking details - including the dietary concerns you mention. Would make your job a whole lot easier.  If you choose RCCL, while they can also assist with group bookings directly, they can direct you to a TA if you don't have one. 

Thank you very much! Yes, I plan on using a TA for this trip (I don't usually) because there will be so many of us. Great recommendation!

What about food NOT in the main dining room? Does RC offer enough for breakfast, lunch and snacks that don't involve meat, gluten and dairy? I think my issue might be more of a problem on Carnival since I have heard the buffet is very limited on this class of ship, but I imagine a salad and fruit can always be found somewhere 🙂 

Posted (edited)

Those options should also exist in the buffet, which on Oasis class ships is quite large and diverse in its offerings.  Oasis class ships also have a Solarium Bistro which has a lot of alternatives as well and is n/c, except for dinner.  Again, confirming through your TA and on board at any venue should allow for alternatives to be available.

Should you choose any of the specialty restaurants a discussion with each will let you know what options you have there as well.

In general I don't think you'll have any difficulties with your dietary restrictions.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Have not been on these ships, but on others...  These days, they are all accustomed to special diets.  However, they may need ADVANCE notice, and the more unusual the dietary restriction, the more advance notice.

The way I put it:  "Help them to help you!" 🙂 

And if it's some really tricky thing, then soon after boarding, ask to speak with someone from food services/etc., "to discuss VERY IMPORTANT FOOD ALLERGIES".  That will get their attention!

Then keep in touch with your contact person(s).  They can help you know where you'll find foods that are suitable, or, also, they can arrange for suitable foods to be available where you are/where you will be.

Also, we ALWAYS repeat the special requirement EVERY single time we order any food.  Then we AGAIN ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK when it is served:

"This IS the <special food type>, correct!?"

Although we prefer open dining, meaning we don't have an assigned time, assigned table, and assigned servers, we tend usually quickly tend to find a waitperson who seems especially alert and pleasant, etc.  We ask for their name, and then we tend to arrive at the restaurant front desk and ask to be seated where "X" is.  We may need to wait briefly for a table to clear in that specific section, but it's never long.

By the 2nd or 3rd time, the maître d' usually recogizes us, and starts to ask, "... at X's table?" with a smile?  We usually explain it's because of a serious food allergy and "X understands" or such. After that... we don't need to ask, unless someone else is on duty (and they don't tend to change often, mid-cruise).

And... we also always bring along some pre-packaged snacks just in case.  These can be especially helpful the first day of a trip, or on an off-ship excursion, etc.

Again, they are used to this type of thing these days.

Enjoy your cruise!

GC