Alaska SilverSea Nova Cruise

So glad we cancelled our Oct 1 Nova Japan cruise. This and dozens of other negative reviews has confirmed we made the right decision to cancel. 

Unless reviews change for the better will eat the $500 future credit we have with SS. 

We rebooked the Japan cruise with HAL got a suite with them and it’s about $15,000 cheaper. 

Our preferred line is Viking on a midnight sun cruise right now and the ship, service and food is perfect. 

I think you read a little too much of the negative reviews.  A lot are like me being regular SS cruisers. Sure I complained about a lot of the changes especially with the food but I still was very happy with the cruise.

I also took along my sister and her husband. They had never cruised before  They said it was perfect - their words. So they booked another 2 SS cruises.

Another good friend of ours was one of those I am never going to cruise. He had a Kimberly cruise on Ponant  and really didn't like the ship or the service. But he wanted to go to Antarctica and South Georgia. Finally got him to book the wind last December. Despite the bird flu and missing some landings he was delighted with it and has booked a Caribbean cruise later this year and an Iceland cruise next year on SS. Now hooked.

As with everything people are far more likely to post a negative review than a positive one.

a.htm

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Brad1185 said:

So glad we cancelled our Oct 1 Nova Japan cruise. This and dozens of other negative reviews has confirmed we made the right decision to cancel. 

Unless reviews change for the better will eat the $500 future credit we have with SS. 

We rebooked the Japan cruise with HAL got a suite with them and it’s about $15,000 cheaper. 

Our preferred line is Viking on a midnight sun cruise right now and the ship, service and food is perfect. 

If you think "Viking...right now...ship, service and food is perfect", why would you even consider another line, or a luxury line (Viking is not).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Actually, I won't.  Already have Endeavour booked for Svalbard in 2025 (@ $9,150 pp for 7 nts + 2 hotel nts + rt air from Oslo) and Ray for 2026 (@ $6,000 pp for 10 nts w/o air).  Neither is in the Med, but Svalbard should be even more expensive.

When we're ready to book 2027 cruises, either Silversea will be back down to reasonable or we'll book elsewhere.

Interesting, what makes you think fares will go down? Seems to me the only way they would adjust the fares is if demand decreases.  

59 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Interesting, what makes you think fares will go down? Seems to me the only way they would adjust the fares is if demand decreases.  

I don't think anything about the fares, I just watch them and make my decision.  I have many trips (cruises and land tours) on my long-range wish list and will book them based on interest, value, and availability.  Silversea may or may not make the cut again.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Well, Four Seasons is starting their own luxury cruise line and they are aiming at a price point double that of existing luxury lines.  So the price point is relevant.  As I had said elsewhere, I believe that Royal views Silversea as a high-premium line (taking Azamara's place in their group) not as luxury.  

If Royal views SS as a premium line, they should cease touting and selling it as luxury…and price it as premium also. Too many recent posts point to similar issues across the brand. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2024 at 1:23 AM, drron29 said:

If you had breakfast in La Terraza I fully agree.

On the Muse class ships we enjoy a light breakfast and coffee in the Arts Cafe.

If we feel like something more substantial then we have it in Atlantide. It might not be the best breakfast around but definitely terrible.

In December on Nova (Panama canal transit) for breakfast in La Terrazza,  I enjoyed a vast array of delicious fruit (including tropical and exotic) and chose oatmeal with nuts and seeds for an energizing start to my day!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, alainciao said:

Mahogany, when we grew up respect for your elders was accepted and expected behavior.  Not so now.  Not sure how that happened🤔

I'm well over half-a-century old. That change happened starting in the '60s and '70s, first as we destroyed all of our heroes and then as adults became more bratlike and less responsible than kids have been. And really it was overdue. If your "elders" are abusers, drug addicts, multiply-divorced parents or even just self-absorbed, why should their age garner them respect?

But our (older) generation does get a disproportionate amount of respect, because we have most of the money. 

• Haha 1

On 6/2/2024 at 4:50 PM, TechSurfer said:

I'm well over half-a-century old. That change happened starting in the '60s and '70s, first as we destroyed all of our heroes and then as adults became more bratlike and less responsible than kids have been. And really it was overdue. If your "elders" are abusers, drug addicts, multiply-divorced parents or even just self-absorbed, why should their age garner them respect?

But our (older) generation does get a disproportionate amount of respect, because we have most of the money. 

What??? you are well over 50, but how much "over" to qualify as "our (older)" generation? And who are these elder abusers, drug addicts you mention? Not my family, thank you very much.

• Like 2

I'm sorry that you had a disappointing experience, @Lookingtocruise42, and appreciate your depth of explanations and descriptions. 

We are recently off Nova. We lowered our expectations after a SS cruise earlier in the year where we experienced many service shortfalls and the unwillingness to make things 'right' or at least better. I think with SS, you spin the wheel and take your chances. Luckily for us, most things went better this time.

I also don't understand the SS upcharge on excursions, and would even expect a bit of a discount since it is supposed to be inclusive. I also booked some excursions directly with providers and will say issues can happen doing it that way too. Our helicopter to dog sled excursion in Juneau was cancelled due to weather, but I believe the majority of the ship's happened, so we missed out. (I don't know if the company bumped private bookings to accommodate ship booked, or they were with different providers.) I also booked a private fishing trip in Ketchikan, and weather was abysmal with 20mph winds and gusts north of 30. We didn't want to fish in that and the provider is refusing to refund the deposit since he thought it was 'doable.' I don't know what the SS policy would have been for canceling given the miserable conditions, but they might have had more influence. We did do a few included excursions thru SS, and found the staff to be helpful when we were changing plans, sometimes last minute.

I only know the new version of SS, and am sorry I missed the old. I do think they are pricing like a luxury product but not delivering one, will see if it catches up to them...

• Like 2