Considering Explora Journey But Would Appreciate Some Feedback as Comparted to other Brands

Posted (edited)
On 8/3/2024 at 10:01 AM, Sthrngary said:

As we all adventure from one brand to another, or on category to Luxury; we do our due diligence. There is ALWAYS give and take.  Pros and Cons.  The important part is to know what they are and come to terms with them.  That is what creates "Realistic Expectations". 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

1000% true!

Might I add, we also bring our own personal wants, needs and desires to the table.

The initial reviews for Explora were frequently by Regent/Crystal/Silversea/Seabourn cruisers who were frankly upset because it was, well, different

Isn't that the point?

I could care less about the production shows as I generally find them to be abysmal to wretched depending on my alcoholic intake.  I enjoy personalized service but hate obsequious and fawning staff.  I don't need to be told what to do and where to go.

But I LOVE varied and different outdoor spaces.  It's great figuring out at dusk whether we should have cocktails with friends (or friends not yet made!) at the Astern, Helios, Skybar or outside of the Explora Lounge.

I can't think of any ship that offers so much choice in outdoor lounging areas. (and I didn't even include the Atoll bar as I find it too sunny!)

Our friends who are Supreme PuPu with Regent (I don't know their loyalty levels) sailed on E1 and SS Grandeur a few months apart.  While they love Regent, they said it was no E!!!

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

1000% true!

I enjoy personalized service but hate obsequious and fawning staff.  I don't need to be told what to do and where to go.

Oh you have so hit the nail on the head. I hate also being challenged about my choice of drink aka you had X yesterday don’t you want that?  Err no I flip and choose it’s the fun of the holiday. 

I really enjoyed the vibe of service on EJ. It was exactly the balance I like and am looking forward to enjoying it again. 

I also loved that drinks were properly mixed. Sadly on Azamara they often confuse giving good service with being heavy handed with the spirits bottles 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

1000% true!

Might I add, we also bring our own personal wants, needs and desires to the table.

The initial reviews for Explora were frequently by Regent/Crystal/Silversea/Seabourn cruisers who were frankly upset because it was, well, different

Isn't that the point?

I could care less about the production shows as I generally find them to be abysmal to wretched depending on my alcoholic intake.  I enjoy personalized service but hate obsequious and fawning staff.  I don't need to be told what to do and where to go.

But I LOVE varied and different outdoor spaces.  It's great figuring out at dusk whether we should have cocktails with friends (or friends not yet made!) at the Astern, Helios, Skybar or outside of the Explora Lounge.

I can't think of any ship that offers so much choice in outdoor lounging areas. (and I didn't even include the Atoll bar as I find it too sunny!)

Our friends who are Supreme PuPu with Regent (I don't know their loyalty levels) sailed on E1 and SS Grandeur a few months apart.  While they love Regent, they said it was no E!!!

@Dr. Cocktail Thank you for your very kind words.  CruiseCritic.com, the specific brand related boards, and this specific brand of Explora Journey are all interesting and educational.  Not just on the product.  Also, on the tastes of the guest that enjoy the product.  

The Universal Question as ones years of Vacation Cruising continues is, "What exactly is Luxury Cruising?".  The responses are from one extreme to another showing it depends on the guest which you highlighted in your response. I have an answer to this question that is personal to me and does not relate to others.  "Luxury Cruising is an vacation cruising experience that enhances my past experiences."  

Therefor as a very simple example, if you provide complementary soft drinks in the mini-fridge in the stateroom and I had not gotten that before, it fall under enhancement. If the Barista Coffee Bar is part of the amenities, yet another enhancements.  The list goes on especially with personalized service which seems to be extremely important to most including myself. 

My Bucket List Brand used to be, "Regent Seven Seas Cruises" or "Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection".  RSSC because it claimed to be all inclusive to the highest level.  Ritz-Carlton because well, it was the Ritz.  Then I read reviews, drilled down on what the actual experience would be from those on this and other boards.  Some things were better, some not so much.  Yet the premium in fare was in my humble opinion, "Insane".  Often times the same itinerary and huge differentness in cost. 

So what is a guest to do in order to enhance their experience? Choose brands like Explora Journey, Oceania Cruises, and Crystal Cruises (Folks don't have a cow, just a few examples ONLY).  Compare amenities, Ships, Reviews, Opinions and fares.  Explora Journey seems to hit a sweet spot for the notion of Luxury.  Yet, others do as well it simply depends on what we as guest want from our vacations.  Last thought, I do love the many places to lounge with a water feature and bar that makes up the design of Explora Journey.  

Thanks again.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@Dr. Cocktail Thank you for your very kind words.  CruiseCritic.com, the specific brand related boards, and this specific brand of Explora Journey are all interesting and educational.  Not just on the product.  Also, on the tastes of the guest that enjoy the product.  

The Universal Question as ones years of Vacation Cruising continues is, "What exactly is Luxury Cruising?". 

OK, we're taking over this thread .... even though you're the OP!

I got flambéed (please be impressed by my use of the accent!) last winter on these boards by "Legacy" cruisers who regularly sailed  RSSC, Silversea, Crystal and Seabourn.

I dared to pose the same question .... how does one define "luxury"? Getting up at 7 am to snag a deck chair in the shade on SS Splendor doesn't sound particularly luxurious to me.  Crystal's standard staterooms where you have to step outside to change your mind?  Not so luxurious.

Silversea's many, frankly ancient ships with their mechanical issues?  Not so fancy.

Because E did things differently to what they were used to, it was therefore  not luxurious in their minds.

Our experience, age, expectations and "secret sauce" contribute to how we define luxury.

I can't really add to your superb summary except to say while not always, it's frequently beneficial to be an Early Adopter.  Sure there will be changes and lack of consistency but the overall product is excellent.

MSC is in it to win it.  The Aponte family's unbelievable  wealth and assets make RCI, Carnival Corp and NCLHI look like pocket change.   They're not walking away from their investment.

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Like 1

Personally....I'm really not here because of "luxury."  I really just want to pay to not have to wait an excessive amount of time, readily available deck chair, no lines, and as few corners cut as possible in terms of cabin/service/food quality AND I don't want to be bored! The best combination I have found to get this so far is Royal Caribbean Star Class. Really, I am very satisfied with Star Class.  The price for Star Class has been creeping up over the last few months to where many other options were available for the same price or less.  This Explora cruise I have booked is the ONE cruise my TA kinda pushed.  Usually she just books what I ask but this time I'm taking her recommendation completely.  Really, I can't see what could go wrong....lol! I like trying new stuff anyway!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

it's frequently beneficial to be an Early Adopter. 

I do support you on this thought.  Well said.

4 minutes ago, chill6x6 said:

Personally....I'm really not here because of "luxury."  I really just want to pay to not have to wait an excessive amount of time, readily available deck chair, no lines, and as few corners cut as possible in terms of cabin/service/food quality AND I don't want to be bored! 

Um, see above .... that sort-of defines luxury in today's world!

Let's talk after when you've experienced E without 6000 of your nearest and dearest fellow travellers!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Um, see above .... that sort-of defines luxury in today's world!

Let's talk after when you've experienced E without 6000 of your nearest and dearest fellow travellers!

Most cases I don't notice the crowds with Star class...you are kind of shuffled away/around them...EXCEPT....getting back on the ship at ports...THEN you notice! 

Well--TAs do get a whacking commission on Explora--around 20%. Hope yours gives you a good discount. Mine does. personally I really liked Explora, done 3 weeks and have a mointh coming up next month...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Elizabethbea said:

Well--TAs do get a whacking commission on Explora--around 20%. Hope yours gives you a good discount. Mine does. personally I really liked Explora, done 3 weeks and have a mointh coming up next month...

So it is kinda hard for me to know if I got a "good discount" or not.  I can tell with cruise lines I normally use but... with s new cruise line, new ship, upgraded suite(deluxe PH)...it's hard for me to really tell.  I was comfortable paying the price given so I went with it.  700 Euros OBC which seems kinda standard.

700 OBC is good I'd say. Just ask your TA what % discount she has given you. If she/he is straight you will be told. Mine is very transparent and tells me . Different lines give differing % commission so it does vary, but mine has never given me less than 5%, and as I said gives me 10% with Explora.  If you are happy with the pricethat's all that matters, and you will love Explora!

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, chill6x6 said:

So it is kinda hard for me to know if I got a "good discount" or not.  I can tell with cruise lines I normally use but... with s new cruise line, new ship, upgraded suite(deluxe PH)...it's hard for me to really tell.  I was comfortable paying the price given so I went with it.  700 Euros OBC which seems kinda standard.

@chill6x6 Hello, noticed you were from Alabama also.  It is my understanding that the commission given are different in the US.  I booked a February 2025 cruise out of Miami.  My fare was a sale price initially.  My American Express gave me some OBC perks.  I felt the fare was just fine.  An additional sale happened that provided the same price, the same AMX on-board-credit perk and a additional On-Board-Credit from Explora.  So I rebooked it.  

I have used the same travel agent for years.  I have never gotten a discount from their commission.  I am sure I could ask and it would be given.  However, I have chosen to not do so. Not right or wrong.  Just me since I spent my life on commission, was asked daily to cut that commission and I never did.  A professional is either worth the commission they are given or they are not. 

For those that get discounts from the commission of your travel agents.  That is great and I am NOT criticizing anyone.  Fair game when available.

Edited by Sthrngary
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@chill6x6 Hello, noticed you were from Alabama also.  It is my understanding that the commission given are different in the US.  I booked a February 2025 cruise out of Miami.  My fare was a sale price initially.  My American Express gave me some OBC perks.  I felt the fare was just fine.  An additional sale happened that provided the same price, the same AMX on-board-credit perk and a additional On-Board-Credit from Explora.  So I rebooked it.  

I have used the same travel agent for years.  I have never gotten a discount from their commission.  I am sure I could ask and it would be given.  However, I have chosen to not do so. Not right or wrong.  Just me since I spent my life on commission, was asked daily to cut that commission and I never did.  A professional is either worth the commission they are given or they are not. 

For those that get discounts from the commission of your travel agents.  That is great and I am NOT criticizing anyone.  Fair game when available.

Of course I agree 100%! 

I have another friend that is starting out as a TA.  All she has is tire-kickers....they use her for knowledge then go their own way.  She is going to start charging a retainer which will apply toward the price of the vacation to discourage that.  

1 hour ago, chill6x6 said:

Of course I agree 100%! 

I have another friend that is starting out as a TA.  All she has is tire-kickers....they use her for knowledge then go their own way.  She is going to start charging a retainer which will apply toward the price of the vacation to discourage that.  

@chill6x6 I have never heard a travel agent charging a retainer. Especially a new travel agent. Folks that ask a lot of question and don’t buy, are in all industries. Comes with the territory. Yet when a sales and travel professional establish their clientele, service them, those clients stay with them regardless of future discounts.  As I do with my agent. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@chill6x6 I have never heard a travel agent charging a retainer. Especially a new travel agent. Folks that ask a lot of question and don’t buy, are in all industries. Comes with the territory. Yet when a sales and travel professional establish their clientele, service them, those clients stay with them regardless of future discounts.  As I do with my agent. 

It's a new concept.  I read of many doing it and I know she is.  I can see both sides of the coin but there will always be tire-kickers.  No telling how much "free" info I've given out over the years. Usually if it's good info, the customers/clients/patients will come. I've never worried about it.  

12 minutes ago, chill6x6 said:

It's a new concept.  I read of many doing it and I know she is.  I can see both sides of the coin but there will always be tire-kickers.  No telling how much "free" info I've given out over the years. Usually if it's good info, the customers/clients/patients will come. I've never worried about it.  

Chuck, with my comments, I meant no disrespect.  I was not challenging your position or your friends approach to doing business.  My perspective was one of 40 years of being a sales professional, then a sales/management trainer for some of the biggest companies in the world.  Unfortunately, that ended a bit early because of an acute stroke.  I am much better now.  Yet all those years created a focus on if you are a true sales professional, do your job, be kind to everyone, share your ideas and the business will come.  

As it relates to cruising, after some many years of cruising, I do all the due diligence and instruct in great detail to my travel agent everything I want.  All she has to do is book it.  Where it works out for me and makes her commission worthwhile, is her industry associates that help her when I have a serious question or issue.  Not everyone thinks like I do.  Not saying they should.  I personally, would NEVER pay for information that I can so easily gain myself for some simple research.  However, for the benefit of your friend, I hope there are many folks that would like the service. 

• Like 2

Hey Gary,

No issue whatsoever! Like you I don't necessarily think her concept is the correct one. She really isn't charging per se as it really acts as a credit toward whatever trip she books for her client.  So if $50, what gets applied to the trip plus any OBC.  Now I wouldn't go for that personally and have always done all my vacation planning myself! I have only last year started using a TA(not my friend lol).  Of course my TA has never charged me anything more than the deposit on the cruise.  Using my TA I get a little OBC and I have someone to go to bat for me if need be.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/10/2024 at 9:02 AM, Sthrngary said:

How refreshing!  I know of no other profession where people think it acceptable to ask someone to give back a percentage of their earnings to get their business.

Most cruise lines prohibit this, but then look the other way.

I've spent the last 40 years on commission and would not dream of expecting this.  I did the very best for my clients and never had to buy business by kicking back commission.  That is exactly what rebating is.

Edited by caviargal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2