How soon to book excursions?

Aubriee01

Posted (edited)

We are going on an Alaskan cruise through Carnival in mid September 2025 (so over a year from now).  When should we start booking excursions?  We are planning on at least two nonship sponsored excursions (Seaplane/Taku Lodge and the Skagway Train/Yukon tour).  When should we book excursions:  now? a year out? six months out?

Also what is the weather like in mid September?

Edited by Aubriee01

I booked my cruise a year out and started researching excursions right away.  One that we booked directly with the provider, Island Wings, didn’t have their schedule up quite yet but still let us book and I’m glad they did even though we didn’t pay the deposit for several months still. They are fully booked now and even a few months ago when we called with a change, they were full.  (We leave in a week). The rest of ours are through the cruise company and we booked early because they were popular ones that sell out quickly.  

My cruise on NCL is at the very beginning of April 2025. I booked my first shore excursion on March 19th of this year. I now have 9 total booked.

Now, this cruise is a very LONG cruise that starts in Tampa, goes through the Panama Canal, up the coast of Central America, Mexico, California. and ends in Alaska. The very first shore excursion for the Alaska portion I booked was on March 28th of this year, still over a year before my ship even starts and still over a year before we even get to Alaska. 

So, if you see a shore excursion that you really want book it now. You can always cancel it later. 

😁

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 12:53 PM, AKStafford said:

Book early. The popular ones will fill up.

OK you guys convinced me.  Even though our cruise is not until Sept 2025 I went ahead and booked all our excursions.  All except Juneau are through the ship.  How did I do:

Tracy Arm Fjord Glacier Explorer

Skagway: Train, Saloon, & City Tour

Juneau: Taku Glacier Lodge & Seaplane Glacier Excursion

Icy Point Strait: Whale & Bear Search

Sitka: Sea Otters, Raptors, & Bears

Ketchikan: Bearing Crab Fishetman's Tour

Victoria BC: Butcharts Gardens

Edited by Aubriee01

4 hours ago, Aubriee01 said:

This is not a commentary on your other choices but I just got back from Alaska and decided to not do this excursion and bought the hype of a local "carnival barker" tour operator on the pier.  I spent $65 with the hopes of seeing bears and it was completely wasted.  WORST EXCURDSION EVER.  DO NOT fall for the sales pitches of the tour operators hanging out on the pier in Ketchikan.  Stick with this Bering Sea Aleutian Ballad tour.  I regret my choice.  Do not make my mistake.  

5 hours ago, Aubriee01 said:

OK you guys convinced me.  Even though our cruise is not until Sept 2025 I went ahead and booked all our excursions.  All except Juneau are through the ship.  How did I do:

Tracy Arm Fjord Glacier Explorer

Skagway: Train, Saloon, & City Tour

Juneau: Taku Glacier Lodge & Seaplane Glacier Excursion

Icy Point Strait: Whale & Bear Search

Sitka: Sea Otters, Raptors, & Bears

Victoria BC: Butcharts Gardens

A lot of nice choices!!! I've only ever heard really remarkable things about the Tracy Arm Fjord Glacier Explorer. Watched a really nice video on it the other day...

https://youtu.be/WeYjbPCYr-U?si=GZhgJcjz_GKKGV_F

I've done the Taku Glacier Lodge and it's also really nice! Does that include the salmon bake lunch? Very exciting! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dmwnc1959 said:

A lot of nice choices!!! I've only ever heard really remarkable things about the Tracy Arm Fjord Glacier Explorer. Watched a really nice video on it the other day...

I've done the Taku Glacier Lodge and it's also really nice! Does that include the salmon bake lunch? Very exciting! 

I realize it's highly subjective, but is the salmon served there better than/different from else where in Alaska? It's quite a premium over just the seaplane tour. Obviously, the additional cost includes other things such as time at the Lodge and other foods.

LAX

23 minutes ago, LAX said:

I realize it's highly subjective, but is the salmon served there better than/different from else where in Alaska? It's quite a premium over just the seaplane tour. Obviously, the additional cost includes other things such as time at the Lodge and other foods.

LAX

Not really, I don't think, no more so than if you were having it at one of the panning for gold excursions in Juneau or Skagway. But it's the setting that makes all the difference. If it's that much of a premium over the cost of the seaplane tour then just stick with the one you have. 

27 minutes ago, LAX said:

LAX

Yes.  As an Alaskan I was unimpressed with the Salmon Bake.  The salmon at Taku lodge was some of the best I’ve ever had.

5 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Yes.  As an Alaskan I was unimpressed with the Salmon Bake.  The salmon at Taku lodge was some of the best I’ve ever had.

Thanks. I hope this is not a "paid endorsement!" (J/K).

LAX

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BeasleysMom66 said:

This is not a commentary on your other choices but I just got back from Alaska and decided to not do this excursion and bought the hype of a local "carnival barker" tour operator on the pier.  I spent $65 with the hopes of seeing bears and it was completely wasted.  WORST EXCURDSION EVER.  DO NOT fall for the sales pitches of the tour operators hanging out on the pier in Ketchikan.  Stick with this Bering Sea Aleutian Ballad tour.  I regret my choice.  Do not make my mistake.  

Sorry you were disappointed with your Tour.  The Bering Sea Crab tour was the main excursion my husband picked, so no way are we changing our minds. lol

2 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Thanks for the YouTube video.  Yes it includes the Salmon bake.  We're really looking forward to it.

13 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Glad to hear it.  Can't wait.

Sixteen months just seems awfully early to book excursions.:classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LAX said:

Thanks. I hope this is not a "paid endorsement!" (J/K).

LAX

Nope.  My opinion.  I used to live in Juneau and worked for the cruise lines.  I’ve been on a lot of excursions.