Is It Safe To Take An Excursion To Todos Santos

40 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

In Cabo? 

Yes, there are always a few armed soldiers patrolling right at the port walkway where the water shuttles drop off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

Wow. How cool and exciting! Oh to be young again. I married into a family of sailors who regularly did the Newport to Ensenada races in the 80s and a couple of us wives would drive the van down to pick up our husbands and a couple of crew and then drive home while just my brother-in-law and his wife would sail the boat home together. We had some adventures for sure - but never anything scary. In fact, only ever kindness to a couple of wild young brides on the loose!

I did the Newport to Ensenada race once in 1977. I was at UCSB and a member of the SB yacht club. I had to take a final exam, and then raced down to Newport and met the boat and crew there.

Fun evening, cruising around the yacht clubs with all food and drinks "on the house". My aunt and uncle lived at the Balboa Bay Club in Newport during the summer when Palm Springs was too hot.

We didn't even come close to a win on the Newport/Ensenada race, but we won Santa Barbara to King Harbor once. Fun times! Good memories!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AZaTaz said:

And you basis this on what information? Please indicate where you got this knowledge. I am not trying to be confrontational but I live in Arizona on the boarder and have for my whole long life and spent much time in Mexico.

As I mentioned in my previous post, my cousin and her husband and children have lived in Mexico since 1980’s.  He’s a doctor and born in Mexico.  Although he’s now retired his colleagues tell him nightmare stories of visitors/tourists being sexually assaulted, stabbing, shootings, kidnapping and murders.  We’ve visited often over the years and they basically guard us when we go out. We were never allowed to go anywhere without one of them with us.  Unless you live there, you have no idea.

• Like 1

It sounds like we have some seriously well-traveled, adventurous people contributing to this thread. I believe most Mexican ports are safer than Jamaica, Haiti, St. Thomas, and more.

I hope we didn't scare off the OP. Daytime on a cruise ship excursion should be safe. 👍

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, jimlouisesophie said:

With the violence in Mexico, is it safe to take the excursion to Todos Santos while in Cabo San Lucas?  The ship offers this excursion.  We have traveled throughout Mexico in the past with no problem, but with the cartel promoting violence, we are now concerned.  Thoughts please?

I’ve done this tour twice, with the most recent being September 2022 on the Sapphire. There were absolutely no issues at all and it was a really pleasant day. We had lunch at the Hotel California and there is plenty of time to walk the area for shopping and we stopped at an ice cream store. 
The bus ride was long but you saw lots of sights along the way. 

Last October I sailed solo on Carnival Panorama and walked the marina in Cabo by myself and stopped at Sancho’s for some tacos and a couple of margaritas, then walked to Cabo Wabo for a drink and to get pictures for my friend back home.

It was one of my best days there. I didn’t feel unsafe at all but I’m also very aware of my surroundings. 

ETA: I’m sailing the Carnival Firenze in August solo again and will be doing the same thing in Cabo with no hesitation at all. 

Go and have a good time, it’ll be fine. 

Edited by tonit964
  • Like 2

Lady Arwen

my comment was your statement that crime is worse now than in 2012. All the statistics that I read the crime rate is down after 2018. 

1 hour ago, AZaTaz said:

Lady Arwen

my comment was your statement that crime is worse now than in 2012. All the statistics that I read the crime rate is down after 2018. 

Wow. Where did you read that.

8 hours ago, AZaTaz said:

And you basis this on what information? 

Hearsay.  She has a cousin who knows a guy. 😝

Why let scientifically collected data get in the way of good old anecdotal gossip?

OP, go to Todos Santos.  Become one of the several thousands of tourists who have gone and have come back alive to tell about it.

5 hours ago, AZaTaz said:

The national statistics being put out by the government doesn't account for the crimes that go unreported.  That's the scary part.  Many of the crimes committed by the cartels are swept under the rug.  Those in office don't want to go after the cartels because they fear for their life.  In addition, officials want to make it seem like their tenure is effective, thus wanting to report lower crime rates, which will get them reelected.  

To the original question...

I've been to Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Ensenada, Huatulco, and Manzanillo in the past 6 months.  Stay in the tourist areas and you'll be fine.  You can rest assured that on an excursion, Princess will vouch for your safety. 

TBH, I feel more unsafe in some western states' downtown areas than the tourist areas of Mexican ports.  You'll run across the occasional homeless person and druggie, but the problem is far more isolated than in US cities such as San Francisco or Seattle.

17 hours ago, Ellipooh said:

Afraid so.  Police, soldiers idk.  Big guns, I’d call them M-16s but that’s a guess. 

That's really sad to hear. I mean it's Cabo. Or, was it?!

The world is going gaga.