Not sure what to do in Costa Maya

vaindioux

So we stopped last year and visited some ruins.

There are several sites but not into it enough to go to another.

Snorkeling is a favorite one of us anywhere but i will put this on the back burner and try to see other options.

Going to an all inclusive is kind of a waste to us since we got that on the ship.

Is there a nice beach with nice snorkeling within a quick cab drive that might have just an access fee, bathrooms?

Just looking for ideas!

Thxs

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, vaindioux said:

So we stopped last year and visited some ruins.

There are several sites but not into it enough to go to another.

Snorkeling is a favorite one of us anywhere but i will put this on the back burner and try to see other options.

Going to an all inclusive is kind of a waste to us since we got that on the ship.

Is there a nice beach with nice snorkeling within a quick cab drive that might have just an access fee, bathrooms?

Just looking for ideas!

Thxs

Costa Maya has limited options for shore excursions besides the ruins that you have already done.

Locations include:

small town 5-10 minute taxi ride away with multiple bars, shoulder to shoulder sharing same length of beach. Many used to be PAYG but unfortunately for us have become predominantly AI with some that offer various price point packages, which are not too bad but you need to be aware. If there is space it is possible sometimes to negotiate PAYG. 

Out of town (20-30 minutes) beach clubs predominantly AI.

Waterpark.

Tourist developed port area.

Snorkeling, diving and fishing can be arranged from a boat to take you out to the reef, limited snorkeling from the beach. “Nice”beaches very subjective. The area is very prone to sargassum due to east facing location. Strong winds have been a problem for docking in recent years with many cancellations of port day.

Cooking classes.

Facilities are very limited and very basic. Bikes can be rented. Kayaks, massages available. 

This is a basic run-down. I would suggest you read the last couple of pages of this forum where the names of regularly visited beach clubs are discussed repeatedly. 

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 3

Just now, newandneedhelp said:

I am trying to decide as well. Just read that the Beach Escape isn't great. 

“Beach escape” is the cruise line excursion to just one of multiple beach clubs in the town of Mahahual. I haven’t been but I understand it is at the northern end of the bay although with a generic name like “beach escape” it can always change. There used to be another excursion to a location just south of town as well but it never seemed to get good reviews either! 

It is easy enough to go to Mahahual yourself but do some research and find the names of some recommended clubs as not all beach clubs in Costa Maya are entirely honest. 

Unfortunately businesses and taxis in Costa Maya seem to have become very greedy in our experience, since cruising resumed, and it is not nearly as enjoyable as it used to be. The facilities do not warrant the high prices in our opinion generally. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Costa Maya has limited options for shore excursions besides the ruins that you have already done.

Locations include:

small town 5-10 minute taxi ride away with multiple bars, shoulder to shoulder sharing same length of beach. Many used to be PAYG but unfortunately for us have become predominantly AI with some that offer various price point packages, which are not too bad but you need to be aware. If there is space it is possible sometimes to negotiate PAYG. 

Out of town (20-30 minutes) beach clubs predominantly AI.

Waterpark.

Tourist developed port area.

Snorkeling, diving and fishing can be arranged from a boat to take you out to the reef, limited snorkeling from the beach. “Nice”beaches very subjective. The area is very prone to sargassum due to east facing location. Strong winds have been a problem for docking in recent years with many cancellations of port day.

Cooking classes.

Facilities are very limited and very basic. Bikes can be rented. Kayaks, massages available. 

This is a basic run-down. I would suggest you read the last couple of pages of this forum where the names of regularly visited beach clubs are discussed repeatedly. 

It helps a lot. Might just go snorkeling.

Thxs a lot