Marina Redo

true45

On 8/11/2024 at 9:44 PM, basor said:

The only big refurbishment that Riviera got and Marina will not is the remake of some of the bathrooms.

It wasn't just the bathrooms. The veranda staterooms on Riviera got all new furnishings and furniture in addition to new carpets and drapes: new closet, desk, settee, chairs, tables, headboard, mirrors, lamps, USB plugs on bedside tables, etc. (Not just soft goods.) These staterooms on Riviera are now much brighter and lighter than Marina's, with scratched, dented, and dated dark-wood furnishings. The Riviera staterooms look very similar to the brand-new staterooms on Vista. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

... These staterooms on Riviera are now much brighter and lighter than Marina's, with scratched, dented, and dated dark-wood furnishings. The Riviera staterooms look very similar to the brand-new staterooms on Vista. 

Having sailed Riviera both pre- (12/2021) and post-refit (10-11/2023), aesthetics are in the eyes of the beholders. I'm not a fan of what I call "Scandinavian minimalism". For my generation & area, dark cherry woods and leather called out "luxury". In ways that light colors and aluminum don't. I did chuckle at some of the new carpeting in the public areas. Reminded me of ship camouflage during WW II.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MarkWiltonM said:

It wasn't just the bathrooms. The veranda staterooms on Riviera got all new furnishings and furniture in addition to new carpets and drapes: new closet, desk, settee, chairs, tables, headboard, mirrors, lamps, USB plugs on bedside tables, etc. (Not just soft goods.) These staterooms on Riviera are now much brighter and lighter than Marina's, with scratched, dented, and dated dark-wood furnishings. The Riviera staterooms look very similar to the brand-new staterooms on Vista. 

Sailed on Marina first cruise after refit and have to say the furnishings in our Concierge cabin  were nether ‘scratched or dented’. Dated… that’s a matter of opinion.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Vallesan said:

Dated… that’s a matter of opinion

I suppose you could say it's a matter of opinion but it's also a matter of fact. I don't know when the current furnishings on Marina were installed but I imagine it was more than 10 years ago, probably longer (anyone know). It's interesting to me, just as a matter of curiosity, that some people who wouldn't dream of wearing clothing that has gone seriously out of fashion take umbrage when someone points out that an interior is, literally, dated. As for the scratches and dents, I'm glad your stateroom had been spared the ravages of time.  

1 hour ago, MarkWiltonM said:

I suppose you could say it's a matter of opinion but it's also a matter of fact. I don't know when the current furnishings on Marina were installed but I imagine it was more than 10 years ago, probably longer (anyone know). It's interesting to me, just as a matter of curiosity, that some people who wouldn't dream of wearing clothing that has gone seriously out of fashion take umbrage when someone points out that an interior is, literally, dated. As for the scratches and dents, I'm glad your stateroom had been spared the ravages of time.  

Yes, but there are some interior styles that are considered "timeless or ageless" I'm not saying the original design of the Marina or Riviera are that, but the public spaces on the R ships would be in my opinion, and that's all that is, my opinion. Some folks don't care for the Classic dark wood look. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Yes, but there are some interior styles that are considered "timeless or ageless" I'm not saying the original design of the Marina or Riviera are that, but the public spaces on the R ships would be in my opinion, and that's all that is, my opinion. Some folks don't care for the Classic dark wood look. 

Invoking timeless accoutrements and art I believe sets the mind at ease to a time when comfort and manners- expectations of civility should be the norm. Yes our surroundings can have an affect on one’s behavior.

We don’t see the brawls Carnival has.
🤗😎

Edut: sorry- but sometimes my posts get shown without the comment icon - don’t know why and Cruise Critic has yet to respond to fix it.

Edited by Thought2go