NCL Joy MDR experience

I am someone who generally does not enjoy an MDR on any cruise line very much.  I always go in so optimistic and come away disappointed. I already have 4 out of 7 nights booked for specialty and might pull the trigger on another 2 night package leaving only one night for MDR or Food Republic (too inexpensive to warrant a package usage).  Any shout outs about really good MDR on this ship or are my instincts correct?  I don’t mind spending the money.  Solo cruiser dining alone.  Also, should I leave some MDR nights open in case I make friends at the solo meet and greets or elsewhere and they organize a dinner together?  I read a lot online about people doing that but not sure the reality of it.  TIA.

I would say that it really depends on what you order. I have had MDR meals that are fantastic (the MDR on the Prima was one of my favorite meals, even better than Cagney's on our sailing) and ones where I have been sorely disappointed. 

On the Joy, we dined one night in the Manhattan Room and it was fine. Not stellar, not terrible. We had a party of 9 and some people LOVED what they ordered and others were underwhelmed. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pitzel said:

I would say that it really depends on what you order. I have had MDR meals that are fantastic (the MDR on the Prima was one of my favorite meals, even better than Cagney's on our sailing) and ones where I have been sorely disappointed. 

On the Joy, we dined one night in the Manhattan Room and it was fine. Not stellar, not terrible. We had a party of 9 and some people LOVED what they ordered and others were underwhelmed. 

Thanks for the feedback. I think it can be very hit or miss.  I remember on Sky Princess the MDR was pretty awesome.  Last three cruises on Celebrity (x2) and HAL it was not good at all.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grouchomarx said:

I am someone who generally does not enjoy an MDR on any cruise line very much.  I always go in so optimistic and come away disappointed. I already have 4 out of 7 nights booked for specialty and might pull the trigger on another 2 night package leaving only one night for MDR or Food Republic (too inexpensive to warrant a package usage).  Any shout outs about really good MDR on this ship or are my instincts correct?  I don’t mind spending the money.  Solo cruiser dining alone.  Also, should I leave some MDR nights open in case I make friends at the solo meet and greets or elsewhere and they organize a dinner together?  I read a lot online about people doing that but not sure the reality of it.  TIA.

We are just off the Joy and enjoyed the MDR (Manhattan Room). I don't believe in buying into the cruise line's attempts to convince you to spend money on specialty dining. I will take the FAS "free" dinners for the cost of grats. And I will use my two Latitudes free dinners. But, I would not waste money on additional Specialty Dining. 

• Like 2

After a few days of eating constantly, I really don't care what's for dinner.  If what the MDR serves me is crap, I'll just grab something at the local.  No worries.  Breakfast is only a few hours away...

• Like 2

My experience in the Manhattan Room on the Joy was pretty good, but I also dined with someone with a food allergy so our table probably got a little extra attention.  I've honestly rarely been disappointed with the MDR dinner food on NCL.

8 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

After a few days of eating constantly, I really don't care what's for dinner.  If what the MDR serves me is crap, I'll just grab something at the local.  No worries.  Breakfast is only a few hours away...

I've never gone hungry on a cruise, that's for sure...more often it's "Uggggh, it's time to eat again ALREADY??"

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I found the smaller dining rooms (Taste and Savor) had better service than the larger Manhattan room. 

Dinner was always fine. However I set my expectations accordingly living in a few foodie cities in my adult life. 

Honestly, the Indian section at the buffet was consistently excellent. Even though we have 6 speciality dinings planned, that Indian food during lunch is what I’m looking forward to the most! They offer it from dinner as well, so if that’s up your alley I recommend that for dinner!

Edited by psuboater
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, grouchomarx said:

Thanks for the feedback. I think it can be very hit or miss.  I remember on Sky Princess the MDR was pretty awesome.  Last three cruises on Celebrity (x2) and HAL it was not good at all.  

Three things then. First, memories of a time long ago may not be as accurate as you think. Second, you have not really defined what "not good at all" means. And third, you need to set your expectations so that you are not disappointed. 

Taste is very subjective. You need to consider what your taste is. 

For example, we were recently on a cruise where a passenger was screaming at the buffet staff about how it was the worst buffet ever because they didn't have a sausage pizza. And that he hated the fact that they were serving a BBQ Chicken pizza and Hawaiian pizza which no one would ever eat. Subjective. 

For example, there was an uproar when the deep fried fish sticks on the menu was replaced with poached salmon. And another uproar when the chicken noodle soup was replaced with Vietnamese Pho. And there is a current uproar because the deep fried hashbrowns out of box have been replaced with upscale country potatoes (which takes an order of magnitude more effort to prepare).

Expectations: Unlike your local bistro which may turn 100 covers a night, the Main Dining Rooms on the Joy will serve 2000-3000 covers a night. Your salad will not be plated to order, 100's of salads will have been prepared hours earlier and stored in chill boxes. Dinner bread is not served hot out of the oven, it was baked overnight the night before. The sautéed spinach is not prepared to order, it is prepared on a large plancha and served from chafing dishes stored in hot boxes.

Expectations: NCL has always led the industry in catering to the tastes of the contemporary cruiser. Old time cruises, like me, won't see the menu from 5-10 years ago (the fading memories of the Sky Princess). You will see items like Chicken Piccata, Grilled Tilapia, Pad Thai, Broiled Boston Bluefish, Chicken Madeira, Almon-crusted Hoki, Bang Bang Chicken & Shrimp, Lemon Pepper Shrimp, Chicken & Seafood Paella, Pecan-Crusted Turkey Medallions, Lemon Pepper Coalfish, Spaghetti Puttanesca, Parmesan-Crusted Turkey Scallop, Spinach & Ricotta Stuffed Pepper (all things off of the current Joy MDR Menu). 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

And there is a current uproar because the deep fried hashbrowns out of box have been replaced with upscale country potatoes (which takes an order of magnitude more effort to prepare).

Actually, they used to have both hash browns and country potatoes.  They haven't replaced our beloved hash browns with anything.  Yes.  I'm complaining about that.  Probably my biggest complaint about NCL for a long time.  Yes.  Life is good and I can't wait for my next NCL cruise, hash browns or not.😎

17 hours ago, grouchomarx said:

I am someone who generally does not enjoy an MDR on any cruise line very much.  I always go in so optimistic and come away disappointed.

OP: based on my own experiences, it's highly likely after doing the Joy MDR, you will NOT change your overall opinion regarding MDRs in general.  Go with your gut and stay away. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, JGmf said:

OP: based on my own experiences, it's highly likely after doing the Joy MDR, you will NOT change your overall opinion regarding MDRs in general.  Go with your gut and stay away. 

Thanks. I suspect you are right.  It's never what I want it to be so I'll shell out the extra cash to have a much better experience.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Three things then. First, memories of a time long ago may not be as accurate as you think. Second, you have not really defined what "not good at all" means. And third, you need to set your expectations so that you are not disappointed. 

Taste is very subjective. You need to consider what your taste is. 

For example, we were recently on a cruise where a passenger was screaming at the buffet staff about how it was the worst buffet ever because they didn't have a sausage pizza. And that he hated the fact that they were serving a BBQ Chicken pizza and Hawaiian pizza which no one would ever eat. Subjective. 

For example, there was an uproar when the deep fried fish sticks on the menu was replaced with poached salmon. And another uproar when the chicken noodle soup was replaced with Vietnamese Pho. And there is a current uproar because the deep fried hashbrowns out of box have been replaced with upscale country potatoes (which takes an order of magnitude more effort to prepare).

Expectations: Unlike your local bistro which may turn 100 covers a night, the Main Dining Rooms on the Joy will serve 2000-3000 covers a night. Your salad will not be plated to order, 100's of salads will have been prepared hours earlier and stored in chill boxes. Dinner bread is not served hot out of the oven, it was baked overnight the night before. The sautéed spinach is not prepared to order, it is prepared on a large plancha and served from chafing dishes stored in hot boxes.

Expectations: NCL has always led the industry in catering to the tastes of the contemporary cruiser. Old time cruises, like me, won't see the menu from 5-10 years ago (the fading memories of the Sky Princess). You will see items like Chicken Piccata, Grilled Tilapia, Pad Thai, Broiled Boston Bluefish, Chicken Madeira, Almon-crusted Hoki, Bang Bang Chicken & Shrimp, Lemon Pepper Shrimp, Chicken & Seafood Paella, Pecan-Crusted Turkey Medallions, Lemon Pepper Coalfish, Spaghetti Puttanesca, Parmesan-Crusted Turkey Scallop, Spinach & Ricotta Stuffed Pepper (all things off of the current Joy MDR Menu). 

For me it's less of complaints about food and much more about service and the timing of it all.  The food is usually good.  The problem for me, as someone who truly loves eating out and does so regularly, is I want service on the cruise for dinner to be like it is on land.  And it never is in the MDR.  I want to have my drink order taken before my food order.  I want to receive the drink before the food.  And when I switch to something else to drink to pair with the next course, I want it to arrive in time to have it with that course and not after I'm halfway or fully done.  Not to sound snobby this is just how I want it and I can get that in specialty which is the main reason I choose to fork over the extra cash.  They never get it right in the MDR because they way service is run to accommodate the masses. It is a much more relaxing and enjoyable experience in specialty restaurants and so it's worth it.  I always feel so rushed in the MDR and waiters are whizzing past like maniacs because their workload is so heavy.  I started cruising when any time dining was just rolling out as a new thing (on Princess) so I've never done fixed time dining or had the same wait staff every night.  As a result I've never felt the MDR was anything too special.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grouchomarx said:

Thanks. I suspect you are right.  It's never what I want it to be so I'll shell out the extra cash to have a much better experience.  

FWIW we disembarked the Joy on Sunday. Out of the 7-days, the worst two meals we had were in Specialty dining. 

19 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

FWIW we disembarked the Joy on Sunday. Out of the 7-days, the worst two meals we had were in Specialty dining. 

Which two restaurants?  And what did you not like about them?

• Like 1

On 5/20/2024 at 9:28 PM, grouchomarx said:

Solo cruiser dining alone.  Also, should I leave some MDR nights open in case I make friends at the solo meet and greets or elsewhere and they organize a dinner together?  I read a lot online about people doing that but not sure the reality of it.  TIA.

I did a solo on the Joy May 5-12.  The solo coordinator arranged for large tables in the MDR each night for any of the solos that wanted to eat as a group.  I am not a food snob and was fine with the MDR food.  It was really nice being with the solo group for the meals.  People also made specialty dining plans among smaller groups.  People will often book a table for 4 in a specialty restaurant and then ask if anyone wants to use their FAS meal to join them.  One woman with a high Latitudes status had two free meals for 2 and invited me to both of those which was great.  Other high Latitudes solos did the same for others.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grouchomarx said:

Which two restaurants?  And what did you not like about them?

Le Bistro where my entree was incomplete and where I was mischarged which took almost 20 minutes to resolve at the end of the meal. 

Ocean Blue where the entree was not prepared well. This is about 4 times in a row where I have had issues with the entree in Ocean Blue (we sail a lot). It has moved to the bottom of our list. On our cruise last month, I had the Ocean Blue Maître D, Restaurant Director, Food and Beverage Director, Ship's Executive Chef, and the General Manager's office involved with resolution of my issue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Ocean Blue where the entree was not prepared well. This is about 4 times in a row where I have had issues with the entree in Ocean Blue (we sail a lot). It has moved to the bottom of our list. On our cruise last month, I had the Ocean Blue Maître D, Restaurant Director, Food and Beverage Director, Ship's Executive Chef, and the General Manager's office involved with resolution of my issue. 

Thanks for working this.  All those high priced folks need to earn their pay.  I don't care how fancy the experience is.  If the food sucks, the restaurant sucks.  Nuff said.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thanks for working this.  All those high priced folks need to earn their pay.  I don't care how fancy the experience is.  If the food sucks, the restaurant sucks.  Nuff said.

So,,,, You need to avoid going to extremes. The food does not "suck". But if there are prep issues, I am not shy about calling the restaurant's Executive Sous Chef out to discuss my concerns. On our prior cruise, the General Manager's Secretary was doing her rounds at dinner time and became aware of the issue and "rallied the troops".