Does one REALLY need to upgrade to OT-3 cabin class to get a bed that separates??

My TA said that only OT-1 cabin class bed separates.  Is this really true?   She said we'd need to go up to OT-3 just to have beds that separate.  This sounds ridiculous to me.   Thought others might have some insight to this.  

Thanks!

Interesting question and I just booked with two separate beds.  I was told, I had to book a OT-2 or OT-3.  I booked an OT-2 and it has a adjoining cabin.  I have no issue with that so that is information.  My cabin is 7085 on the Explora I

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• 3 months later...
On 5/23/2024 at 4:24 PM, cruisingxpert said:

I think there are a few adjoining cabins in OT2 that have twin beds but the majority are OT3

check the Deck Plans https://explorajourneys.com/ca/en/ships/deckplans

We had to go to an OT3 when I took my sister

My sister will be in a twin OT-3 when we sail in January. Are there two twins in the room? Is it just  a"queen" that can be split into two beds?

16 minutes ago, johnwelch62 said:

My sister will be in a twin OT-3 when we sail in January. Are there two twins in the room? Is it just  a"queen" that can be split into two beds?

It's large king bed that can be separated

From Explora

BEDROOM

• Bespoke king-sized bed sleep system - size: 180 x 200 cm (71 x 79 in). Some suites with twin beds - size: 2 x 90 x 200 cm (35 x 79 in)
Edited by cruisingxpert
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

It's large king bed that can be separated

From Explora

BEDROOM

• Bespoke king-sized bed sleep system - size: 180 x 200 cm (71 x 79 in). Some suites with twin beds - size: 2 x 90 x 200 cm (35 x 79 in)

Thanks!

I had originally booked a Ocean Grand Terrace Suite on Deck 6, mainly for the deeper terrace.  Having sailed on more than 120 cruises it never occurred to me that most beds on Decks 6 and 7 were Queen-sized and not convertible to twins.  Since my booking for Explora II was very early in the process, Explora allowed me to book a twin on Deck 8 for the same charge when I discovered the problem.  Yes, most folks prefer one big bed but the large number of non-convertible suites seems strange.

Jay in Tucson

• Like 1

I had originally booked a Ocean Grand Terrace Suite on Deck 6, mainly for the deeper terrace.  Having sailed on more than 120 cruises it never occurred to me that most beds on Decks 6 and 7 were Queen-sized and not convertible to twins.  Since my booking for Explora II was very early in the process, Explora allowed me to book a twin on Deck 8 for the same charge when I discovered the problem.  Yes, most folks prefer one big bed but the large number of non-convertible suites seems strange.

Jay in Tucson

Well yes and no.  The width is the critical measurement in beds and the acknowledged dimensions are as follows:

STANDARD KING   76 X 80  (not California King)

STANDARD TWIN  38 or 39 X 75   EXTRA LONG TWINS  are 80" LONG                 

TWO EXTRA LONG STANDARD TWINS TOGETHER ARE 76 TO 78 WIDE AND 80 LONG,  thus becoming a true King.

The common width of ship twins is 33" so Explora has improved on both twins and something that is wider than a queen but definitely not a King.  I designed hotels and homes for many years so bed dimensions are always critical in designing a bedroom.  The extra few inches of width on Explora beds makes a HUGE difference in comfort.

The Q posed was whether it was necessary to buy an OT3 in order to get a twin. Since the OT suites are all the same size--surely it shouldn't be necessary to buy an OT3 when an OT1 is the same size.

With respect, Amusea, comfort and dimensions whilst riviting reading, makes no impact  as to whether an OT1 suite can accomodate twin beds. 

My explanation was in reference to calling the Explora full size beds 'king size".  They are five inches less wide.  Correct information can sometimes avoid disappointments regarding expectations.