We’ve taken 14 cruises. This was our first time on MSC. Tales from my Bella experience.

11 hours ago, Homosassa said:

It would be nice to have the complete story of the procedure used and the time frame for the request in order to evaluate the OP's experience. 

Every line does this differently, and since I was new to MSC - I both called and emailed.  I was never told about the form, but I have filled out one similarly for other lines.   We booked the trip in early February, and I began making arrangements that same week. We sailed in May.  

I didn't like the "wait until you get on the ship" answer, as every other line I have sailed with had set up the accommodations before we sailed with the MDR and emailed me confirmation.  I've done this 13 other times, on 4 other lines, and all with perfect success before we boarded.  

Therefore, I kept the two emails that stated that I must wait until we boarded the ship to make my request.  If my accommodations had not been granted (they were), I would have forwarded those emails to MSC with my complaint.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nferr said:

Me either. Imagine a cruise ship changing thousands of rooms every day with new laundered sheets? 

This is an excellent point. I guess I just erroneously assumed they were changed daily.  Which is not practical, nor does it make any sense.  

I think I was more drawn to this issue because I made a small stain on the sheets this time. 

Thank you for being kind in drawing my attention to the unreasonableness of this expectation.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

"But if you are looking for that “WOW” factor – MSC didn’t have it.  At least not on the cruise we were on."

As long as MSC has significant numbers of Europeans travelling abroad on the cruises, the entertainment will be far less likely to "WOW" (as opposed to lower-case "wow") Americans who are very accustomed to American-centric entertainment on cruises. An exception would be medley shows based on American pop stars who are also big in Europe.

Hairspray, Kinky Boots, etc. are unlikely to be part of MSC's entertainment.

• Like 1

"If we are celebrating with two teenagers who just graduated from high school, we’ll likely choose RCI based on our experiences."

You may want to follow the reports regarding the World-class ships MSC is currently building. World Europa has been in service since late 2022. World America begins service in a bit under a year.

This ship class has more amusements and more restaurants than previous ship classes. It may be just the thing for American cruisers accustomed to the bells and whistles of American cruise line megaships. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, brovol said:

Never saw what the need for accommodation was; or did I miss it?  What accommodation was requested, and why?

Lost me at DEI.

OP here: Sorry to seem cranky, but I am entitled to my privacy and dignity, as are all people with differences.  One's curiosity does not trump that right.  For example, people with physical differences get asked by strangers all the time about their private, protected medical conditions because people think they are "owed" those details. 

Ever have a friend who is a wheelchair user?  Ask them how many strangers ask about how they got in that chair.  Bonus question:  How often do you think the story is a pleasant one that the person wants to share with a complete stranger?

The cost of asking for accommodations (those protected by federal law or not) should not be disclosure.  None of the five cruise lines asked me this question, and it really doesn't matter. I asked for accommodation that was a seamless ask on Carnival, RCI, NCL, and Disney.  It was not on MSC.  That was my point.

DEI = Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.  It means that all people should have access to the same opportunities, regardless of any difference that is organic.  For example, all hotels are required by federal law to provide closed captioning on the television in every hotel room.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

OP here: Sorry to seem cranky, but I am entitled to my privacy and dignity, as are all people with differences.  One's curiosity does not trump that right.  For example, people with physical differences get asked by strangers all the time about their private, protected medical conditions because people think they are "owed" those details. 

Ever have a friend who is a wheelchair user?  Ask them how many strangers ask about how they got in that chair.  Bonus question:  How often do you think the story is a pleasant one that the person wants to share with a complete stranger?

The cost of asking for accommodations (those protected by federal law or not) should not be disclosure.  None of the five cruise lines asked me this question, and it really doesn't matter. I asked for accommodation that was a seamless ask on Carnival, RCI, NCL, and Disney.  It was not on MSC.  That was my point.

DEI = Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.  It means that all people should have access to the same opportunities, regardless of any difference that is organic.  For example, all hotels are required by federal law to provide closed captioning on the television in every hotel room.  

ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) is what federally protects disabled persons accessibility rights as part of their civil rights. DEI does not, and should not, factor in this conversation; it is not a law, right, or federally protected in any way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

Well, you posted on a public forum complaining about the dining room staff not accommodating your DEI disability, or whatever it might be. Seems a fair question to ask what they didn't do for you, and perhaps why they didn't. So, whether or not it's a legitimate disability seems a fair question. 

DEI is not a federal law. In fact, it is perfectly legal for businesses to discriminate, as long as it's not in an illegal manner. There are protected classes of individuals under the law.  You referenced that US laws protect DEI, which confused me.  Thus my curiosity.  

So far I haven't heard about anything that was done wrong by MSC.  All good with you sharing an opinion of your experience, so certainly not disparaging you there; however, like any other opinions on a forum, the reader wants some perspective. If someone complained about scrambled eggs, and it was because the way they were cooked reminded him of how an old girlfriend used to cook them, so he couldn't finish his meal, that probably wouldn't be a complaint that I would be worried about. Lol. So perspective matters. 

It's all good though. I take it you don't think the dining room staff is diverse or inclusive enough for your liking.  I may not have the same concern.  

I guess I'll just keep wondering. Lol.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 5/26/2024 at 10:29 PM, PTC DAWG said:

I don’t think I have ever had sheets changed daily on any cruise..20+ cruises.. 

No if they changed sheets daily wow would that be laundry overload and so much extra work.

1 hour ago, brovol said:

So far I haven't heard about anything that was done wrong by MSC. 

Then you have not been reading all the posts.

From Post #1 "Also, I was feeling grumpy because my accommodation for disability was not honored after MSC sent multiple emails promising me that they would be once we got on the ship (More about that later)."

Also read Post #26.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, broberts said:

Then you have not been reading all the posts.

From Post #1 "Also, I was feeling grumpy because my accommodation for disability was not honored after MSC sent multiple emails promising me that they would be once we got on the ship (More about that later)."

Also read Post #26.

Did read.  Still don't know what "accommodations" weren't provided.  Do you?  If I missed it please sight. 

5 minutes ago, brovol said:

Did read.  Still don't know what "accommodations" weren't provided.  Do you?  If I missed it please sight. 

What difference does that make? As the "accommodation" was eventually made there is no question about it being reasonable. 

Would you please explain why knowing physiological details is so important to your understanding of where MSC failed?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, broberts said:

What difference does that make? As the "accommodation" was eventually made there is no question about it being reasonable. 

Would you please explain why knowing physiological details is so important to your understanding of where MSC failed?

It's important to get the full picture.

While I'm not addressing this specific case, as we don't have all the details, disabilities are a significant topic that every major company (including those in Italy, where I live) takes very seriously.

I work in a customer-facing company, and believe it or not, there are insensitive individuals who pretend to be disabled to gain extra services intended for those who genuinely need them. I'm not here to debate what should be considered a disability or not, how it should be proven but trust me, when you're on the other side of the wall, it can be very difficult to manage cases that aren't immediately clear.

For example, I've seen numerous requests from people claiming disability to skip lines at major events. If someone is in a wheelchair, it's quite obvious. However, if someone is severely visually impaired, it’s not as apparent and it’s not that clear why line should be skipped

• Like 2

@maclover

Here is why it doesn't matter:  This post is my personal review of MSC based on my experience.  It is not an essay regarding disability rights.  Part of my review was my statement that MSC did not honor a requested accommodation with the ease of four other lines. 

Although they did supply my requested accommodation, which means that five cruise lines all found it reasonable.  Whether I should or should not have received these accommodations is not the point. My point is that MSC made it more difficult than the others did, and in my opinion (which is the point of any review), it should not have been.

But to help you, I will add that I did not receive any accommodations that added to my experience in a way that gave me access to anything others did not have.  My accommodations just gave me the same experience others were enjoying because they were not gifted the same physical challenges as I was.

Emeril Lagasse did not come from the kitchen to cook for me and only me.  I didn't "skip the line" - as we arrived 15 minutes later than our assigned dining time so that the accommodation could be made.  I didn't get a free dessert. 

We ate the same food in the same space with the same staff as everyone else in the dining room.  But, with a little adjustment (accommodation), I was able to have the same experience as everyone else.

And if you're still dying to know what is wrong with me, maybe you should reflect on that.  This seems to be more about your concerns that someone might get something they didn't "deserve" or "earn" than you are about treating every person equitably.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, broberts said:

BS, and no need to explain a thing.  If you don't get it by now....

Lol.

@maclover

Here is why it doesn't matter:  This post is my personal review of MSC based on my experience.  It is not an essay regarding disability rights.  Part of my review was my statement that MSC did not honor a requested accommodation with the ease of four other lines. 

Although they did supply my requested accommodation, which means that five cruise lines all found it reasonable.  Whether I should or should not have received these accommodations is not the point. My point is that MSC made it more difficult than the others did, and in my opinion (which is the point of any review), it should not have been.

But to help you, I will add that I did not receive any accommodations that added to my experience in a way that gave me access to anything others did not have.  My accommodations just gave me the same experience others were enjoying because they were not gifted the same physical challenges as I was.

Emeril Lagasse did not come from the kitchen to cook for me and only me.  I didn't "skip the line" - as we arrived 15 minutes later than our assigned dining time so that the accommodation could be made.  I didn't get a free dessert. 

We ate the same food in the same space with the same staff as everyone else in the dining room.  But, with a little adjustment (accommodation), I was able to have the same experience as everyone else.

And if you're still dying to know what is wrong with me, maybe you should reflect on that.  This seems to be more about your concerns that someone might get something they didn't "deserve" or "earn" than you are about treating every person equitably.  

Call me skeptical, as I suppose others are. I get this way at times.  Don't get mad; just "accommodate" my situation. 😁  

@Momto3girlsintheCarolinas I’m not dying to know what’s wrong with you, just some context would be appreciated to get the full picture. 

There are two different scenarios here. 

One is about disability

One is about diversity/inclusion (that I’m getting it’s your case)

I’m just making wild examples

If someone is on a wheelchair, that person need to be accommodated in a table where wheelchair can easily fit

If someone is claustrophobic, not necessarily it’s a right to be seated next to a window 

The fact that 4 other cruise lines accommodated your request is quite irrelevant. 

I usually never have an issue on requesting late checkout in hotel when I need that, still I wouldn’t single out in a review the specific hotel that wouldn’t grant me, even if in a previous email exchange they pointed me to deal with it at front desk upon arrival. 

• Like 2

On 5/26/2024 at 10:29 PM, PTC DAWG said:

I don’t think I have ever had sheets changed daily on any cruise..20+ cruises.. 

I got spoiled on our first cruise, so for 30 years now, my wife changes our sheets daily….NOT!!

21 hours ago, brovol said:

Never saw what the need for accommodation was; or did I miss it?  What accommodation was requested, and why?

Lost me at DEI.

Me also!! But I was going to be nice and not say it!!😂

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

I think you are confusing DEI with ADA!

• Like 1

The question that has not been answered is was the clear instructions for requesting accommodations that are included on the main website page under a link for "Special Needs" followed?

The response to this question has been vague as to timing of the request and the specifics of who the request was addressed to.

The instructions clearly state that the request must be made using the Special Needs form at least forty five days before sailing and be returned to the address on the form.

Failure to do so means that the accommodation may not be available on  the day of embarkation, but will be available, if possible, as soon as it can be arranged.

It appears that the experience about the accommodation  availability followed the information on the website.  

If someone has a fetish, and, for example "identifies" as a "furry", and thus "requires" some insane "accommodation", believing that all businesses should be DEI, regardless of how asinine the requested accommodation is, then I would dismiss the criticism as beyond unfair, and further question the credibility of the person asserting criticism. 

But to each his/her own......

I see the MSC cheerleaders are out in force.

10 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Failure to do so means that the accommodation may not be available on  the day of embarkation, but will be available, if possible, as soon as it can be arranged.

Then why did the MSC emails not point out the need to complete this form? Instead the OP was told the matter would be resolved once aboard. Does MSC not bear some responsibility for misleading the OP?

5 minutes ago, brovol said:

If someone has a fetish, and, for example "identifies" as a "furry", and thus "requires" some insane "accommodation", believing that all businesses should be DEI, regardless of how asinine the requested accommodation is, then I would dismiss the criticism as beyond unfair, and further question the credibility of the person asserting criticism. 

But to each his/her own......

Yes, let's imply aberrant behavior on the part of the OP. 🙄

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, broberts said:

Then why did the MSC emails not point out the need to complete this form? Instead the OP was told the matter would be resolved once aboard. Does MSC not bear some responsibility for misleading the OP?

I’m not a cheerleader (still need to sail for the first time)

I trust that if you write to MSC requesting an accommodation based on whatever personal preference that’s not related to a genuine disability need, they won’t rightly point you to fill that form. 

34 minutes ago, broberts said:

Again, we do not know who the OP was contacting or the exact timing of the contact.

If the timing was such that the special needs form would not be received forty five days before embarkation, then MSC was following its procedures in stating the accommodation should be requested on board ship.  (Also the statement that when requested on board,  the accommodation may not be available on the first day of the cruise also  held true).

As for responsibility, a passenger should read and understand all the information that  a cruise line provides on its website.  

If a passenger is deciding that the passenger is acting as their own agent and handling the reservation, the above statement especially hold true.

If that is not done by the passenger, then a cruise professional (such as a MSC accredited travel agent) should be used.  The Special Needs  information does mention that  the form is available through such travel agents.