Best way to see Pearl Harbor? Self-tour or guided tour?

Cardinal30

Visiting Honolulu in early October and want to visit Pearl Harbor.  What is the best way to get the most out of my visit?  Go on my own or book a tour?  What all should I see?

A little planning,  you can do it pretty well by yourself. There are 4 main targets...the Arizona, the memorial and related things, the sub ( these two items are together), the Missouri  and the Museum on Ford Island ( these two items are sort of together).

Depends on what you want to see, and what your endurance is. They can all be seen in one, pretty full day, if you are fully mobile and fit. And have the time, of course. 

We took two visits,  but wanted to focus on things, and not spend a full day. The Missouri has some very good guided tours.

Self tour always.

Get tickets for the USS Arizona Memorial from the official site below.

https://www.recreation.gov/ticket/233338/ticket/16

Pearl Harbor is obviously an active U.S. military base, but the memorial area is run by the National Park Service. Read the site below.

https://www.nps.gov/perl/planyourvisit/index.htm

I admit right now I have done absolutely no research since I don’t cruise until February, 2026 and have several new ports between now and then that I need to focus on.

I have been to Honolulu multiple times on cruise ships. Should we rent a car to get from the Aloha Tower to Pearl Harbor or is there a public bus or ??

2 hours ago, LadyVol1 said:

I admit right now I have done absolutely no research since I don’t cruise until February, 2026 and have several new ports between now and then that I need to focus on.

I have been to Honolulu multiple times on cruise ships. Should we rent a car to get from the Aloha Tower to Pearl Harbor or is there a public bus or ??

There is a public bus, but if you are planning on an extended tour plan, I would cab or Uber over. Getting a rental car eats precious time, particularly if you are talking a port stop on a cruise.

If it's a pre cruise visit, be aware parking in popular places like Waikiki is expensive, but you could do a one day rental out of Waikiki. 

We just booked our 4th Waikiki visit for next March. We have never rented a car on Oahu.

• 1 month later...

Uber depends on the time of day. You want to get to Pearl Harbor as early as you can and get shuttle reservations as early as you can.

Uber to Pearl from Waikiki is usually not more than $25. Going back it can spike if you are in the commuter time band.

• 2 weeks later...

We did an Uber both ways in May. Others have mentioned the bus, which is cheap but slow, we decided against it. Due to our own fault we ended up waiting for an Uber for 20+ minutes @ Pearl and never saw a bus go by, we were glad we did an Uber, even with our problems. I think it cost about $30 with a tip going back to Waikiki in the late afternoon.

55 minutes ago, DCwom said:

We did an Uber both ways in May. Others have mentioned the bus, which is cheap but slow, we decided against it. Due to our own fault we ended up waiting for an Uber for 20+ minutes @ Pearl and never saw a bus go by, we were glad we did an Uber, even with our problems. I think it cost about $30 with a tip going back to Waikiki in the late afternoon.

The buses don't come down into the Monument area. You have to go up to the main drag-Kamehameha Highway.

3 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The buses don't come down into the Monument area. You have to go up to the main drag-Kamehameha Highway.

The bus stop is right next to the Uber pick up area and across the street from where the tour buses park. Of course there was a crazy homeless guy there ranting to someone from KS (had a KC Chief hat), but they seem to be everywhere.

40 minutes ago, DCwom said:

The bus stop is right next to the Uber pick up area and across the street from where the tour buses park. Of course there was a crazy homeless guy there ranting to someone from KS (had a KC Chief hat), but they seem to be everywhere.

Sure those aren't the stop for the Ford Island buses? When we have taken the bus out to PH, (and will again next March), they have always stopped on Kamehameha. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Sure those aren't the stop for the Ford Island buses? When we have taken the bus out to PH, (and will again next March), they have always stopped on Kamehameha. 

No, it was definitely the public bus, right off of a road outside the base , don't know the road name, could have been Kamehameha. The Ford island bus is accessed from inside the park gates after security.

Edited by DCwom

7 hours ago, STLCARDS82 said:

I'd give Royal Star a call. I did their tour last year and it was out of this world wonderful!!

You are paying $85 a person for a ONE DOLLAR ticket to the USS Arizona Memorial. For two people, that is $170 for a $2 in tickets and transportation that shouldn't cost two people more than $25 on Uber. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

You are paying $85 a person for a ONE DOLLAR ticket to the USS Arizona Memorial. For two people, that is $170 for a $2 in tickets and transportation that shouldn't cost two people more than $25 on Uber. 

True but it may be a option from people as it also passed by other things as well...also try and de-stress...It's not that big of a deal..

One other thing to think about is the time of day that you visit.  Everyone says "go early".  That is when everyone goes and the tour buses arrive.  Our favorite time for Pearl Harbor is the last tour of the day when the crowds have left.  It is a special time.  Some will say that the winds pick up in the p.m. and the boat out to the Arizona can be cancelled.  We have never had this happen, but also something to think about.  I would take a taxi or uber/lyft.  The National Park Service website is really helpful in planning a visit.  Cherie

• Thanks 1