Cruise from Ravenna/Pre-cruise in Austria/Eurail Pass

Bruin Steve

Back in 2021, we had a cruise planned which ended in Venice...after which, we had plans for an extended post-cruise circling Austria by rental car.  Of course, that all blew up with the Pandemic.

So, now, we have B2B (sort of...two days in Ravenna between cruises on two different ships) cruises booked for June 2025 which start in Ravenna (Alas, no more Venice!)...So, we're looking at an extended pre-cruise to roughly duplicate the canceled one.

Both of us have been to Innsbruck but neither has been to Salzburg or Vienna.   I looked at doing it by rental car--but cars have gotten expensive  as has gas...and parking while in Vienna...plus, I'd rather avoid driving--though my wife prefers doing it by car to see more scenery.  I'm thinking the compromise is to do it somehow by train.

The initial thought is, rather than our intended 2021 route (Venice-Innsbruck-Salzburg-Vienna-Graz-Villach-Venice), that we simplify it by flying into Vienna rather than Venice...staying maybe 3 nights in Vienna...then train to Salzburg--2 nights--then train to Innsbruck--1 night--then train to Ravenna the day prior to embarkation and spend that last night in Ravenna.  So, 7 nights total pre-cruise.

WAY back, when I was in college, I did an entire summer in Europe, traveling everywhere by Eurail Pass.  In those days (pre-internet, pre-cell phone), it was EASY.  You got a paper card, you got on any train (in second class) and, when they asked to see tickets, you flashed the card.

I'm sure things have changed...and there are options.

Now, we COULD just buy tickets for individual train rides each time we need one--but I'd prefer less hassle.  The Eurail website has a tool where you input your intended itinerary and it tells you which pass to buy.  For us, since it's two countries (Austria and Italy), it says to buy a "Global" Pass with four days of usage over a 30 day period.  Since we're now both "Seniors". it gives the price for that as $550 total for second class or $698 total for first class.  It says there's an extra charge to reserve seats...but that's only necessary on some routes at some times.  I assume we'd use it the first time when we leave Vienna to head to Salzburg...second day of usage would be the trip from Salzburg to Innsbruck...third usage would be Innsbruck to Ravenna.  We'd be entitled to a fourth...so, maybe between the two cruises, when we have 2 nights in Ravenna, we could use it to take the train to somewhere else in Italy (Bologna?  Venice? San Marino? Verona?) and back for a "day trip".

Questions:

1)  Does the Eurail Pass make sense over trying to book individual rail trips for each segment?

2)  What is difference between the First Class and Second Class?  Worth an extra $148?  The site also mentions an extra $22 pp for "Plus"...but doesn't say what that is...What is it?

3)  Do those time frames sound reasonable (3 nights Vienna, 2 nights Salzburg, 1 night Innsbruck) or should we fly in even earlier and add nights?  Or, what other schedule adjustments would you make?

4)  Any favorite hotels in these cities?  (Back in 2021, we had booked the Hilton Vienna Park...I think it was the Hotel Innsbruck in Innsbruck...and I don't recall where we booked for Salzburg).

5)  Anything else we should consider?  Or not to miss?

All advice is appreciated.  Thanks.

Lots to answer here. I have travelled extensively in Austria over the last 15 years and also lived there for a while. 

1) I would not pay that amount for a rail pass. You could do it much more cheaply buying the tickets individually. If you buy in advance you can also get Sparpreis tickets if you know exactly which trains you want to travel on. These tickets can be really good value. Use Obb ( Austrian railways ) website. Also from Vienna to Salzburg you can also travel with Westbahn. Honestly, it’s not really such a hassle buying the individual tickets. You can do it online and either show your QR code or print out the tickets before you leave home. 

2) I have never travelled on 1st class in Austrian trains. I don’t really think there is a need but that is up to you. I will caveat this by saying I would never pay the extra money to fly business class either. None of your journeys are particularly long and you will be quite comfortable in second. I would definitely recommend seat reservations though. There is a minimal  charge for that. Your Innsbruck - Ravenna route will likely be on the EC from Munich to Bologna. We have been caught out a few times on the route without reservations and struggled for seats. Sorry not sure what the “plus” is.

3) Your time frame- your 3-2-1 sounds about right, although 2 days in Innsbruck would allow you a trip out to the mountains. You can easily get to a variety of mountain towns with a half hour to an hour train journey.  In an ideal world I’d be staying longer in Vienna. Maybe 4-2-2 would be better.

4) I can’t recommend hotels in the cities as we usually use Airbnb and then stay in hotels in the mountain part of our stay. I would say you get a much nicer experience booking local boutique hotels rather than the big chains.

5) Not to miss - could go on for hours here. This is difficult as I don’t know your interests.

From Vienna you could take the train to Melk, visit the abbey then cycle back through the vineyards along the Danube to Durnstein. Gorgeous scenery. An alternative is to train out and get a boat back along the Danube. If you are into wine, there are some really lovely wineries very close to Vienna. Schoenbrunn Palace of course, Belvedere Palace for Gustav Klimt works and Albertina in Vienna. 

Salzburg - it’s a bit cheesy but there are lots of Sound of Music Tours which take you to the filming locations. Gives you a chance to get out to the lakes and mountains. Also the fortress on top of the hill. Reminds me of our own Edinburgh Castle. 

Innsbruck - for  us it’s all about the mountains. I would get the train out to Mayrhofen or Pertisau for some stunning scenery. If you enjoy hiking, there are hundreds of walks I could recommend . You will actually see quite a lot on the Salzburg to Innsbruck train route.

Anything else please let me know. We tend to alternate our holidays between hiking in Austria and cruising.

Hilton Park is good in Vienna, have stayed there twice. Grand Sheraton is a very nice hotel in Salzburg and not far from the train station,  on a very pretty park area.

Stayed at a quaint Best Western in Innsbruck, in old Town, but it's a ways from the train station. Good location to stay...would require a taxi or public transit. 

Your allowed days are minimums. If you could add a night in Innsbruck,  I would say that's better. That would give you some exploration time.

We tend to just book our trains without using passes. First class gives you a bit more room, typically a little easier to store your luggage and on longer hauls, some food and drink. I would recommend first class.

The scenery is fantastic in much of the areas you will be traveling. 

14 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

So, we're looking at an extended pre-cruise to roughly duplicate the canceled one.

Should your interrailing plan not work for any reason, I am suggesting that you take a wee look at 7 night river cruises as a possible alternative.  We did a 14 night Budapest to Amsterdam and some of that routing took in several of the places you mention, although obviously excluding the mountains! Our Vienna stop was a two day one, Melk and Durnstein were two others, and Salzburg was a tour option from one stop. And with beautiful scenery the close cruising was a delight.😀