Buffet seating--Epic

Posted (edited)

Several years ago, before our first sailing on the Epic, I learned here on Cruise Critic about a very useful hack for finding breakfast/lunch seating when the buffet was crowded: Simply walk down the stairs to the La Cucina space, which is not being used at that time of day. It worked like a charm! Various waiters assured me it was perfectly permissible--but very few other passengers seemed aware they could do so. We usually shared the space with no more than a dozen other diners.

Since that was some time ago, can anyone tell me if this option is still available? We'll be back on the Epic in October, and I'd really like to have that escape from the crowds!

Edited by Mehroswitha

1 hour ago, Mehroswitha said:

Several years ago, before our first sailing on the Epic, I learned here on Cruise Critic about a very useful hack for finding breakfast/lunch seating when the buffet was crowded: Simply walk down the stairs to the La Cucina space, which is not being used at that time of day. It worked like a charm! Various waiters assured me it was perfectly permissible--but very few other passengers seemed aware they could do so. We usually shared the space with no more than a dozen other diners.

Since that was some time ago, can anyone tell me if this option is still available? We'll be back on the Epic in October, and I'd really like to have that escape from the crowds!

It wasn't a hack.  There were signs indicating the overflow seating.  All you discovered was that very few other passengers read the signs.  There are similar set ups on the other ships.  I just got off the Spirit where Onda was the overflow.  Did people read the signs?  Of course not.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mehroswitha said:

It was available our last sailing on the Epic. Unfortunately, that was in December 2021. The dozen or so Epic cruises we have sailed, we have noticed people sitting there. I would think it is still an option. We have sat down there a couple of times when the buffet was stupid busy, but we do prefer to sit upstairs for a better view.

Good to know; thank you both! I'm an almost obsessive reader of signs and didn't notice anything at that time--but sign or no sign doesn't really matter. Point is, we now know can still sit there to escape the crowds. 

I think what makes this a bit different than other ships is La Cucina is sort of a hidden space on Epic.  Even when people are specifically looking for it, it can be a difficult find.  Other ships like Sky, La Cucina is also used as an overflow for the buffet.  But its adjacent to the buffet.  You cant miss it. La Cucina on Epic is down an almost hidden stairway.  

• Like 1

La Cucina on the Epic was the overflow seating for us in our Spring 2023 TA crossing, it served as the Observation Lounge on sea days for many, until the crew started getting it ready for specialty dining services in the evening.  There were signs posted in the buffet and also mentioned in the FSD as the ship was sailing at full capacity (double occupancies w lots of solo)

Epic also has a bridge viewing room, starboard side that's open dust to dawn to passengers.