Enough “Premium” drinks actually on offer?

Eglesbrech

1 hour ago, showingdiva said:

My point was that she arrived in Southampton with a very skeleton crew, re-stocked and immediately went back south on a 12 night Canaries.   Followed by a series of short cruises, including the bank holiday one.   I work with cruise ships.   Re-stocking / replenishing / taking on stores isn't as simple as it sounds.

I know nothing about the background working of a cruise ship. I would however imagine that restocking etc is not simple.

While things happen in life what I find difficult to understand is why MSC were not just upfront with customers about any issues and refunded the difference between the Plus and premium if premium was simply not on offer.

For all the people complaining none have yet indicated that they have been refunded in any way (unless someone knows differently).

Posted (edited)

I've spoken to MSC UK hierarchy.   Here is the very prompt reply:

"We have taken guest feedback seriously and only for the mini cruises will the premium drinks be available but only at certain bars to ease the pressure on the promenade and pool deck, that the only change.

Please be assured that there will always be bars where the premium drinks is available in full."
Edited by showingdiva
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

"We have taken guest feedback seriously and only for the mini cruises will the premium drinks be available but only at certain bars to ease the pressure on the promenade and pool deck, that the only change.

Please be assured that there will always be bars where the premium drinks is available in full."

Thank you for that, it’s very reassuring. 

I had written to them but had not had a response as yet but your has put my mind at ease. Life is too short to drink cheap and nasty wine!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, showingdiva said:

Interesting I would like to know which bars had the premium drinks because we didn't find one, sky lounge, l'atelier, masters of the sea, infinity bar, after trying these we gave up and stayed in Yacht club where the drinks were also limited but a few more choices of cocktails. The butler kept telling us only heineken beer was available, for only 2 days we made do with other drinks but on a longer cruise it will not be pleasant and why should we have to make do. I enjoy wine and my partner beer especially real ales yet you couldn't get any on these 2 days.

So basically you have to hunt a ship the size of Virtuosa to look for possibly only 1 bar (maybe the crew bar) that has any premium drinks available which is utterly ridiculous and of course would most likely be full up with people in the know! 

I do not want to spend my time doing a recce of the ship to find 1 bar where I can get a premium drink in my premium extra package which I purchase on the basis of what is advertised on the MSC website 

• Wide Selection of Premium and International cocktails
  • Non-alcoholic cocktails and all non-alcoholic drinks
  • Fresh fruit and protein cocktails
  • Premium brand spirits, liqueurs and cordials
  • Wide selection of fine wine by glass
  • Champagne by glass
  • Wide variety of draft and bottled beer
  • Bottled Mineral Water
  • Wide selection of classic and specialty hot drinks
  • 25% discount on purchased of bottled wine and champagne
  • Beverage gratuities included

"The Premium Extra Package can be enjoyed in our bars, buffet, main restaurant and specialty restaurants as well as on private islands, but does not cover our signature venues. ".

MSC may have listened to guest feedback regarding queues on mini cruises but maybe they ought to consider letting guests know when booking that the Premium extra package is not premium and only the easy package is available on mini cruises at a reduced cost. More importantly MSC should stop calling these taster cruises and advertise them as what they have really become "booze cruises" which children should not really be part of. 

I hope that MSC take notice of guest feedback when you are paying for Premium extra and not even getting premium let alone any extra.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I've done all I can by asking and by confirming that during my friend's recent 7 nighter, everything was available on their premium extra package.   

I have an alcohol-free package, so tend to be a bit oblivious as long as there's daiquiri zero, full fat Coke, ACE juice in the breakfast machine and a bit of soft serve ice cream in Atmosphere.

I apologise that I could not help allay any more fears of MSC short cruising compared to 7+ night regular cruises.   

Edited by showingdiva

Thank you for trying.

I really think MSC need to revamp the whole mini cruise thing and think seriously about the clientele they are attracting as booze cruises are putting people off, paying for premium drinks and getting easy pack is just insulting to those not in stag or hen or large groups. Families book these trips and the kids had to have soda or water which is unacceptable with no prior warning.

Maybe you can pass this on to the hierarchy at MSC because I like others if I didn't have anything else already booked would not be booking again.

22 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

I've done all I can by asking and by confirming that during my friend's recent 7 nighter, everything was available on their premium extra package.   

I have an alcohol-free package, so tend to be a bit oblivious as long as there's daiquiri zero, full fat Coke, ACE juice in the breakfast machine and a bit of soft serve ice cream in Atmosphere.

I apologise that I could not help allay any more fears of MSC short cruising compared to 7+ night regular cruises.   

• Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 11:39 AM, NewWestwardbound said:

Thanks - we are on board in the autumn so also interested. 

and @DamianG

Onboard now and the drinks menus are back to the full range.

They don’t have everything at every bar, even if something is on the bar menu so a couple of times I have selected a drink and they don’t have it

That said there is more than enough choice of quality offerings so all good😀.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

and @DamianG

Onboard now and the drinks menus are back to the full range.

They don’t have everything at every bar, even if something is on the bar menu so a couple of times I have selected a drink and they don’t have it

That said there is more than enough choice of quality offerings so all good😀.

Much appreciated, thank you. Have a lovely cruise.

• Thanks 1

On Virtuosa and it is a problem getting Ron B Bacardi at some of the bars. We are on premium package and they try to fob you off with white spirit sorry white rum.

16 hours ago, tjwa said:

You are on the ship so what is your experience of the drinks not available.

The better wines by the glass, they have all the £7-£9 but I only seem to get the others in the main restaurant.

Champgne is on the menu outdoors on open decks but they push Prosecco as they don’t actually have it. I don’t like Prosecco.

Cocktails on the menù are not all available in all the bars that show them on the menu. 

All of that said there is more than adequate choice and quality on offer so I’m happy enough.

You are correct about the wines and they have now restocked the Bacardi. Some bars still out of Budweiser but hopefully this will also be sorted out soon.

• Like 1

I made the mistake of upgrading to Premium for a cruise that had two days at Ocean Cay. There are no premium drinks available on Ocean Cay. In fact, about half the time onboard I have had to settle for Easy Plus drinks.