Biblical Ephesus with Mass?

17 hours ago, MarEll1 said:

Has anyone done this excursion?

Should you not get any replies, try googling instead. Something along the lines of "Biblical Ephesus with Mass tour reviews" should do it.

2 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Should you not get any replies, try googling instead. Something along the lines of "Biblical Ephesus with Mass tour reviews" should do it.

Thank you - I did that. Couldn’t find anything about the Mass however, except the Mass schedule which does not coincide with the excursion timing.

4 hours ago, MarEll1 said:

Thank you - I did that. Couldn’t find anything about the Mass however, except the Mass schedule which does not coincide with the excursion timing.

How strange.  I myself just tried it and got a number of results, incluing tour descriptions for the shorex being offered by both HAL and Princess.

3 hours ago, edinburgher said:

How strange.  I myself just tried it and got a number of results, incluing tour descriptions for the shorex being offered by both HAL and Princess.

I will try it again and put in HAL and Princess. I’d love a review by someone who has done it. 
Maybe google shows different results to different people? 🤷‍♀️

5 hours ago, MarEll1 said:

Maybe google shows different results to different people?

Perhaps searches in different countries produce different results but that I do not know.

Maybe you could try cross posting your question on the forum for the cruise line which you will be sailing?  More chance of someone seeing it there who has taken it. 😀

16 hours ago, MarEll1 said:

I will try it again and put in HAL and Princess. I’d love a review by someone who has done it. 
Maybe google shows different results to different people? 🤷‍♀️

10 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Perhaps searches in different countries produce different results but that I do not know.

Maybe you could try cross posting your question on the forum for the cruise line which you will be sailing?  More chance of someone seeing it there who has taken it. 😀

I was curious and took a look. I find the same results as  @edinburgher:

https://www.princess.com/ports-excursions/kusadasi-turkey-for-ephesus-excursions/discovery-exclusive-biblical-ephesus-virgin-mary-shrine-and-private-mass/

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/cruise-destinations/mediterranean-europe-cruises/europe-mediterranean-ports/ku1/23328

14 hours ago, MarEll1 said:

Thank you both I did finally find both the HAL and Princess reviews. We will be on Celebrity but I’m assuming they are very similar.

They will be the same.  There are very large companies that provide shore excursions to cruise lines in all ports.  The cruise lines don't even bother to change the name of the excursion.  

The excursion described in Maruzel's post sounds like it would be a very nice experience for Roman Catholics. I've been to the House of the Virgin Mary, and it is something Catholics would appreciate despite the lack of real evidence that it is based on history or real archaeology. The site is based on a 19th century nun's vision.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's interesting why we have to pay to the tour operators to organize a private Mass? Assuming this is a Roman Catholic Mass which no one should pay for a Mass. If the excursion coincides with the Mass times then it is fair, but not to arrange a private one just for the tour group.

If the priest is willing to do additional ones, then it should not be a private Mass.

The house of Virgin Mary is a must for any Roman Catholics. 

We have been to this area 5 times, and have a lot of personal interest in the history of the region.  The House of the Virgin Mary is certainly worth a visit and it's history quite fascinating.  Prior to when we visited with our own private guide, who was also an archeologist, we had no idea of all the various thoughts about this site.  But folks might want to look at the following link, which does an excellent job laying out the issues and known history:

House of the Virgin Mary in Ephesus | Turkish Archaeological News (turkisharchaeonews.net)

Hank

• Thanks 1