Skagway White Pass & Bennett Lake Yukon Adventure vs Renting Car?

nordicacres

I currently have a car reserved in Skagway for the day in late June, but am debating whether it would be better to do the excursion through NCL instead. 

We are not likely to return to Skagway. It might be nice to avoid the hassle of picking up the car and having to do all of the driving. The freedom of having a vehicle is an obvious perk, and it is also about $200 cheaper to rent the vehicle (not counting gas). It is just me (43F) and my 18M son. We will also be taking the train from Seward to Anchorage later in the trip. Which would you recommend for a first/only visit to this area of AK? Thanks!

NCL Description: (7 1/2 hrs)

Experience the breathtaking beauty of the north as you travel into the Yukon on this historic rail & motor coach adventure. Begin your day by traveling by motor coach to the White Pass depot where you will board the train for the 67 mile journey into the Yukon. Take the unforgettable journey aboard the "Scenic Railway of the World" and travel from tidewater past the summit of White Pass, a 2,865 foot elevation, and onto beautiful Bennett Lake. Relax in a vintage rail car as you pass Bridal Veil Falls, Inspiration Point and Dead Horse Gulch --This fully narrated tour features panoramic views of mountains, gorges, waterfalls, tunnels, trestles and historic sites.

Accessible only by train, Bennett is the site of an abandoned gold rush town located at the end of the Chilkoot & White Pass trails on the shores of the lake. Upon arrival in Bennett, step off the train and journey back in time as you explore the White Pass historic interpretive center or take a self- guided walking tour up to the church, the views are stunning. Re-board the train and enjoy a hearty box lunch as you travel along the shores of the lake and onto the village of Carcross. Once in Carcross, you will have time to visit the charming community prior to boarding your motor coach for the trip down the Klondike Highway and back to your ship in Skagway.

Not sure what pricing NCL has but you can look at Chilkoot. They use large vans (with large windows) as opposed to buses. I highly recommend them:

https://chilkootcharters.com

Lake Bennett

https://chilkootcharters.com/bennett-scenic-journey/

I like driving a car as well. I would probably go through Chilkoot to get the commentary. If you return, you can rent a car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The train ride in Skagway vs the one from Seward to Anchorage are entirely different, both amazing scenery. Skagway is very historic, Seward is very scenic. I wouldn't not do one because you are doing a train ride in another. Both are worth it.

If you are going to Skagway for your first trip - I would definitely recommend the van/train combo. I also like driving/renting a car but I have been there a ton. On my last trip - I went with Chilkoot as car pricing was expensive.

I have done trains, cars and buses through the Yukon many times. Highly recommend it.

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

Obviously, everyone would have a different opinion, but we LOVED the Bennett Lake loooong train trip! The fact that you can ONLY get there by train made the visit absolutely wonderful as the silence upon arriving, coupled with the beauty of the view, took our breath away. I've heard others who aren't that into trains say it's too long a trip, but we love trains and really enjoyed soaking in the changing landscapes along the way. 

20160715_102922.jpg

20160715_094501.jpg

20160715_135201.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The view on the train both ways is the same. That is why I think it is a good idea to do a train one way and van the other direction. The views are different.

I agree with @Vagabond Knight The views are stunning.

14 minutes ago, Coral said:

The view on the train both ways is the same. That is why I think it is a good idea to do a train one way and van the other direction. The views are different.

I agree with @Vagabond Knight The views are stunning.

Lake Bennett is always on way on the train and bus/van the other.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Lake Bennett is always on way on the train and bus/van the other.

Sorry - should have indicated such. I was more thinking in general on shorter trips. I have seen people fall asleep on RT train rides - I always recommend train one way/bus or van the other way. 

One way train/ one way bus with Chilkoot Charters is what I would recommend.  Car is nice to stop when you want but I wouldn't do it on the first trip.

I am going to Bennett with Chilkoot Charters mid June and they are all booked up so I wouldn't wait too long to decide. 

• Like 2

We took the train to white pass summit (not the full Bennett lake) and back in 2018 and last year we rented a car (an EV no less) and drove to Emerald Lake and back - stopping for lunch in Carcross.  No contest between these two - the rental car was the winner from the first 5 minutes.  The scenery on the train consisted of a rock wall on one side and trees for much of the other (again, this was to the Summit and back).  The road has a TON of pullouts on it for great pics of the stunning scenery.  Stopping in Carcross for lunch at the Bistro there was great as was seeing Emerald Lake.  Technically, you can see Bennett Lake from Bennett Lake beach there in Carcross (at the tip of the lake but not the full lake).  You will still see a lot of water against mountain scenery on the drive there though.

• Like 1

I am looking at Chilkoot Charters but can't decide on the 8 hour tour to Bennett or stick with the shorter White Pass Train. I have decision fatigue after researching so long. 8 hours seems like a long time to be in a train and/or vehicle but it seems like there are more scenic views offered closer to Bennett. Anything else I need to consider? This is my first cruise as well so I just don't want to feel couped up in some type of vehicle (ship, train, motorcoach, etc...) We are a couple in our late 30's, love nature and are kinda active. We port 7am-9pm so I guess there is time to walk around outside as well.

19 hours ago, nordicacres said:

Thank you! We have decided to stick with the car rental as a break from the crowds and fellow cruise ship passengers. I’m glad to hear you also preferred renting a car!

On the first and second pages of my review from last Summer, you will see a few pics of the Skagway drive we took (and the EV - Hyundai Ioniq 5) we rented.    See here:

June 2023 Alaska Review - Koningsdam

• Thanks 1

Honestly, when I travel to amazing places.  I generally try not to drive, while the driver has more control on when and where.  The driver also tends to miss a lot more due to concentrating on the road.

As somone who does a lot of driving for family, I'd prefer when I'm on vacation to let someone else do the driving.

I booked the van/train option through Chilkoot, and am looking very much forward to sitting back and soaking it in.

3 hours ago, Jnsplace1 said:

Honestly, when I travel to amazing places.  I generally try not to drive, while the driver has more control on when and where.  The driver also tends to miss a lot more due to concentrating on the road.

As somone who does a lot of driving for family, I'd prefer when I'm on vacation to let someone else do the driving.

I booked the van/train option through Chilkoot, and am looking very much forward to sitting back and soaking it in.

I think the first time to this area - a tour is good to get the commentary. Chilkoot tours does a great job. I think driving is fine for a return trip. I would probably drive if I had kids with me that would be easy bored.

You will love the combo Chilkoot tour.

Posted (edited)

We rented a Jeep in Skagway recently on June 4th.  It was our second time doing this -- our first was ten years ago almost to the day 🙂  This time we stopped at Caribou Crossing and the suspension bridge, which we didn't do the first time.  We went as far as Emerald Lake, where we had our picnic lunch that we picked up in Skagway at the Glacial Coffeehouse. Then we made our way back making lots of stops for scenery, the CC museum complex, and the bridge.  When we got back to Skagway we went to the Lower Reid Falls hike and the gold rush cemetery, and then we drove the Dyea road which is a nice scenic area as well.  We saw the cinnamon colored bear near Carcross and the black bear eating dandelions by the Dyea road.  It was a great day!  

Resized_IMG_4570_26128550253787.jpeg

Resized_IMG_4607_25933206019699.jpeg

Resized_IMG_4665_25772289157458.jpeg

Edited by Paula_MacFan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

We rented a Jeep in Skagway recently on June 4th.  It was our second time doing this -- our first was ten years ago almost to the day 🙂  This time we stopped at Caribou Crossing and the suspension bridge, which we didn't do the first time.  We went as far as Emerald Lake, where we had our picnic lunch that we picked up in Skagway at the Glacial Coffeehouse. Then we made our way back making lots of stops for scenery, the CC museum complex, and the bridge.  When we got back to Skagway we went to the Lower Reid Falls hike and the gold rush cemetery, and then we drove the Dyea road which is a nice scenic area as well.  We saw the cinnamon colored bear near Carcross and the black bear eating dandelions by the Dyea road.  It was a great day!  

Resized_IMG_4665_25772289157458.jpeg

Was the black bear a cub - looks like a smaller bear in the pic. Sounds like a perfect day.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Coral said:

Was the black bear a cub - looks like a smaller bear in the pic. Sounds like a perfect day.

He was a little guy compared to the other bear picture, but he was on his own and not with a mother.  The picture angle and tall grass might make him look smaller too.  

Edited by Paula_MacFan

11 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

He was a little guy compared to the other bear picture, but he was on his own and not with a mother.  The picture angle and tall grass might make him look smaller too.  

I took a picture of a small bear in Hoonah last year. The guide kept saying the Mom had to be near and we didn't find her. When I looked at my pictures later - I could see the Mom behind some trees.

• Like 1

We just got back from a trip and used DIY Jeep tours in Skagway.  

It was perfect for the three of us!

The GPS guided tour was really enjoyable and worked well.  Not quite as nice as a human tour guide, but lots of good information and stories.

My little guy wanted a LOT of time at Michelle Phillips' sled dog camp.  Multiple families came and went while we were petting the dogs.  At Carcross we had plenty of time to eat, relax and shop, while there were people rushing because they had to catch their bus.  We enjoyed tromping around Carcross desert.

Being on our own schedule really worked for us.  Except I didn't get to do the suspension bridge as someone was asleep in the back sleep.

• Like 3

On 6/19/2024 at 12:32 AM, ChemistBabe said:

We just got back from a trip and used DIY Jeep tours in Skagway.  

It was perfect for the three of us!

The GPS guided tour was really enjoyable and worked well.  Not quite as nice as a human tour guide, but lots of good information and stories.

My little guy wanted a LOT of time at Michelle Phillips' sled dog camp.  Multiple families came and went while we were petting the dogs.  At Carcross we had plenty of time to eat, relax and shop, while there were people rushing because they had to catch their bus.  We enjoyed tromping around Carcross desert.

Being on our own schedule really worked for us.  Except I didn't get to do the suspension bridge as someone was asleep in the back sleep.

We’re renting a car and planning to stop at Michelle Phillips’ sled dog camp in July. This is a bucket list trip for my mother-in-law, and the sled dogs are a high priority for her. About what time did you stop? No reservations are necessary, correct? Thanks!

1 hour ago, daisydawg said:

We’re renting a car and planning to stop at Michelle Phillips’ sled dog camp in July. This is a bucket list trip for my mother-in-law, and the sled dogs are a high priority for her. About what time did you stop? No reservations are necessary, correct? Thanks!

Would it be these folks?   if so, no reservations appear to be needed.

https://tagishlakekennel.com/tutshi-sled-dog-summer-tours/

1 hour ago, Jnsplace1 said:

Would it be these folks?   if so, no reservations appear to be needed.

https://tagishlakekennel.com/tutshi-sled-dog-summer-tours/

Yes, that is where we went!  No reservations needed.  (I don't think the big busses stop there.)  Maybe we were a little early in the season, but no crowds, no real wait.  Don't know exactly when we arrived and when we left, but kind of mid-day-ish.

Just an FYI, the cart ride was motorized.  They are training younger dogs to pull at the proper speed (10 mph) and don't have the strength to pull a heavy cart.  It was very much a training run, rather than a dog sled ride.  

We absolutely enjoyed it however, as did the dogs!

• Like 1

We’ve done the bus up to Emerald lake, the train up to town of Bennett and on to Carcross. We’ve rented a car a few times and drove up to Whitehorse. Last year we rented a car and drove to the village of Tagish. I’d highly recommend that you download “Murray’s Guide” lots of really good information for a Yukon road trip out of Skagway.

I had the exact same hesitation between self-driving vs Bennett lake train/bus combo tour. I even asked on this board if it would be a good idea to do a short round trip train ride to experience the famous train and then pick up a rental car to self pace the road trip. I was advised against that idea as it would involve too much back and forth.

I finally picked the Bennett lake train/bus combo tour and now that we've returned from this trip (our 1st time cruising and visiting Alaska), I am very glad we did the tour. The train and the driving routes are quite different and we would have hated to miss the train experience and the magnificent view from the train ride if we had opted for self driving.

Regarding the comment that it was too long, yes a bit, but for 7/8 of this train ride, it was all super scenic and i doubt anyone would be bored. 

With that said, if we ever visit Skagway a second time (I am sure we would), i would opt to self drive to dive deeper into those points of interest that appeal to us most. but for the 1st trip, hands down train/bus combo was the answer. I don't remember who on this board helped me with this choice 1-2 months ago, but big thank you!!

• Like 2

On 6/21/2024 at 1:59 PM, ChemistBabe said:

Yes, that is where we went!  No reservations needed.  (I don't think the big busses stop there.)  Maybe we were a little early in the season, but no crowds, no real wait.  Don't know exactly when we arrived and when we left, but kind of mid-day-ish.

Just an FYI, the cart ride was motorized.  They are training younger dogs to pull at the proper speed (10 mph) and don't have the strength to pull a heavy cart.  It was very much a training run, rather than a dog sled ride.  

We absolutely enjoyed it however, as did the dogs!

Thank you!