Gratuites on Seabourn

I just booked the most amazing last minute cruise to Alaska on the Seabourn Odyssey.  We are occasional not regular cruisers. We have enjoyed Oceania, Regent, Silversea and Azamara over the last few years. This will be our first cruise on Seabourn. It claims to be virtually all inclusive in terms of food and beverage. It also says that gratuities are included and nothing further is  required or expected. Is this for real?  I don’t think we have ever sailed without paying gratuities.  For those of you who have sailed on this line before with gratuities supposedly included?

The fare we received was their “finale fare”.  It was payable within 24 hours and non refundable. The only downside is that it is a guaranteed rather than assigned cabin. We got one of the last two suites at that fare.  I dealt with Seabourn directly. I verified with my usual cruise agency and they believed I had been misquoted.  They even patched through an agent from Seabourn on the call who said there was no such fare and the best they could do was several thousand dollars more than what the cruise line had quoted me an hour before. 

i reconnected with  Seabourn moments later.  It was not a mistake and we are now confirmed to sail in just over two weeks. I usually don’t deal directly with cruise lines but in this instance, it has certainly worked well!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Congrats - it sounds like you landed a great deal!  The standard onboard is what you’ve read - gratuities are fully included (neither required nor expected). The service level is excellent, and so it’s not uncommon for people to donate to the crew welfare fund (Seabourn Square can do that for you), or to tip specific crew members who have made the cruise extra special for you.  It’s fully optional.  And also, regardless of cabin type or location or how you booked everyone is treated equal.  

Edited by johng75370

Our Silversea and Regent cruises were pre- Covid….It’s been awhile and I don’t remember exactly what we did. I am sure we tipped those who made a difference and likely our cabin steward. 

2 minutes ago, Pirouette said:

Our Silversea and Regent cruises were pre- Covid….It’s been awhile and I don’t remember exactly what we did. I am sure we tipped those who made a difference and likely our cabin steward. 

It is your decision, but we give extra to our two cabin attendants.  If we find a good waiter we will ask to sit in their section all the time and we tip that person too.  Not required, not expected, but appreciated.  Your call.

• Like 1

If you want to acknowledge overall stellar service, do consider the crew fund. So much of what goes into making a great cruise experience happens behind the scenes. People we never see, will benefit from the crew fund. 

• Like 7

Included not expected. As others and I say all time if you feel inclined donate to the crew fund as it provides benefits to those who you see take care of you and those you don't, pastry chef, tender crew, person picking up your luggage the night you disembark, engine room  crew, etc.

• Like 2

Included gratuities are supposedly shared with all staff, including those behind the scenes. Therefore, if you wish to provide an extra reward to a few specific individuals such as a room steward, waiter or bartender, you can do so directly -- that is what I do on all the luxury lines. However, if you want to reward the overall level of service on a ship, you can give some cash to the crew fund. Or, you can do both. At the end of the day, it's really about what makes you feel most comfortable, 

• Like 2

We usually leave something for the crew fund.  If you choose to leave money for your cabin attendant or butler, you are missing those who washed your bed linens, stocked the drinks, etc.  There are so many "below deck" crew who we never see but need the extra money too.  Just my 2 cents.

• Like 3

On 6/4/2024 at 3:12 PM, commodoredave said:

Therefore, if you wish to provide an extra reward to a few specific individuals such as a room steward, waiter or bartender, you can do so directly -- that is what I do on all the luxury lines.

I have never/would ever extend a gratuity to an individual.   Today, anything goes obviously.

9 minutes ago, saminina said:

I have never/would ever extend a gratuity to an individual.   Today, anything goes obviously.

In contrast, I would never miss an opportunity to provide an extra reward for exceptional service. And I must say the reaction from those receiving it has always demonstrated that it is much appreciated.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CruiserPK said:

We usually leave something for the crew fund.  If you choose to leave money for your cabin attendant or butler, you are missing those who washed your bed linens, stocked the drinks, etc.  There are so many "below deck" crew who we never see but need the extra money too.  Just my 2 cents.

Does anyone know how the Gratuities Included part of the cruise fare works? Do the behind-the-scenes staff benefit? And I read that the Crew Fund provides parties, not cash.

4 hours ago, Mahogany said:

Does anyone know how the Gratuities Included part of the cruise fare works? Do the behind-the-scenes staff benefit? And I read that the Crew Fund provides parties, not cash.

Reading responses to your questions on the internet might not produce accurate information.

I believe in crew fund.  I believe in tossing an occasional crew party while on board for more than thirty days.  For a few reasons,  I just plain do not buy into gratuities for individuals. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mahogany said:

According to Silversea, the included gratuities are shared with behind-the-scenes staff. I have not yet seen anything from Silversea that officially details what the money is used for, although some members have said it is used to help those in need and to have parties. At the end of the day, tipping is a personal choice -- in deciding to tip or not, in determining how much to give, and deciding how to give (to individuals, to a crew fund, or both). There is no right or wrong way to tip. Do what makes you comfortable. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, commodoredave said:

According to Silversea, the included gratuities are shared with behind-the-scenes staff. I have not yet seen anything from Silversea that officially details what the money is used for,

This is the Seabourn board.

I know they use the money on Seabourn for providing parties for the whole crew for example they are providing food truck options for crew in Darwin on the 12 June since we have to deal with bio-security checking the ship and staying off for many hours. This includes guest and crew. I also have encountered crew who have had to return home unexpectedly and yes Seabourn paid for their flights but crew fund helped them as well. 

I just like to think my money helps those like laundry, security, guys cheerfully clean stairwells and stop as you walk past etc. I had someone a few days ago tell me it is great being at the bar dispensing because you get tips. I really dislike that attitude and am still not sure how to handle it as I don't find him any more worthy than others.

Edited by frantic36
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, frantic36 said:

This is the Seabourn board.

I know they use the money on Seabourn for providing parties for the whole crew for example they are providing food truck options for crew in Darwin on the 12 June since we have to deal with bio-security checking the ship and staying off for many hours. This includes guest and crew. I also have encountered crew who have had to return home unexpectedly and yes Seabourn paid for their flights but crew fund helped them as well. 

I just like to think my money helps those like laundry, security, guys cheerfully clean stairwells and stop as you walk past etc. I had someone a few days ago tell me it is great being at the bar dispensing because you get tips. I really dislike that attitude and am still not sure how to handle it as I don't find him any more worthy than others.

Yes, I know this is the Seabourn board but gave an example of what I was told  by a HD on Silversea. I am hoping it is the same on most luxury lines including SB. As for any additional tips,  the only right way is the way that makes you comfortable. 

On 6/7/2024 at 9:16 AM, saminina said:

Agree. We do not separately tip housekeepers, for example.  Why are they more deserving than the chef who produces an excellent meal, or the pool crew that set up and take down a zillion loungers every day?  Donating to the crew fund makes sense. 

• Like 3

It brings personal pleasure to some people to extend their appreciation in the form of gratuities and contributing to the crew fund.

I've noticed that the people who are negative about gratuities are the people who choose not to give them.  We all know that gratuities are not required or expected.

IMO there isn't a right or wrong answer to giving or not giving gratuities-- it should be what you are comfortable doing and not judging others by what they do.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Utopia1 said:

It brings personal pleasure to some people to extend their appreciation in the form of gratuities and contributing to the crew fund.

I've noticed that the people who are negative about gratuities are the people who choose not to give them.  We all know that gratuities are not required or expected.

IMO there isn't a right or wrong answer to giving or not giving gratuities-- it should be what you are comfortable doing and not judging others by what they do.

Experts talk about “tipping guilt” which is a mindset shared by many North Americans.  We have been “programmed” to tip as a matter of habit.  Most other parts of the world do not have this issue.  Just trying to explain to a friend not to tip in Japan, once got me in an argument.  I had to explain that many Japanese consider tips to be improper or even an insult.  In Europe the rules differ by country and even within some countries

SB is the only cruise line where we had a crew member refuse a cash tip.  He (bar tender) suggested giving the money to the welfare fund

Hank

• Like 6

We have never had the experience  of a Seabourn crew member refusing a gratuity.  They have always expressed appreciation.    Perhaps the person whose gratuity was not accepted was looking for special attention.

• Like 1

"I've noticed that the people who are negative about gratuities are the people who choose not to give them"

No, we are not negative about gratuities. We do give to the Crew fund and usually bring some small present from home for the suite attendant. 

Yes, we are negative about folks, who don't know how to adjust their (primarily USA) tipping pattern in other countries/cultures and thus raise expectations and inflate the local tipping levels.

Feel free to tip your 20% plus in the USA. Don't tip in Japan. Round up, or tip 5 to 10% depending on the country on Europe. And feel free to give to the Crew fund when it says "gratuities are included".

• Like 8

I do not want to be told how, or how not to spend my money. 

(within the boundaries of rules and local laws)

There are no rules on Seabourn governing tipping--  it is not expected.

I don't understand why this is an issue--- do what you like.

Long ago, there was an unwritten rule among passengers.  If you enjoyed the service, please express it thru crew fund donation.   You mentioned within the boundaries rules.   That precedent has been destroyed by people not understanding post by MJN1.

• Like 1