Gratuites on Seabourn

On 7/4/2024 at 5:04 AM, lincslady said:

I  fear that the different ways we express our wants in different countries can grate on others.  The Brit. tendency is to say 'may I have', whereas others are more likely to say 'can I get'.  I don't think either form is other than polite, but they just sound slightly different to one another.  I really hate though to hear 'gimme', as do most other people.

Or worse "I need..."

• Like 1

FWIW, saw a modest promotion of the Crew Welfare Fund on a discreet sign in SB Square currently on Odyssey.  Whomever donates is entered into a raffle for a token gift from the voyage.  Seems like a fair way to get the message out that it exists without anyone feeling pressure to donate.  20240708_144307.thumb.jpg.e4b8c798b53c3aedd13b0966f697fe63.jpg

3 hours ago, johng75370 said:

FWIW, saw a modest promotion of the Crew Welfare Fund on a discreet sign in SB Square currently on Odyssey.  Whomever donates is entered into a raffle for a token gift from the voyage.  Seems like a fair way to get the message out that it exists without anyone feeling pressure to donate.  20240708_144307.thumb.jpg.e4b8c798b53c3aedd13b0966f697fe63.jpg

I believe the prize will be the map of the voyage (i.e. the one that is displayed in Seabourn Square during the voyage)

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Rule number 1,

Always avoid any discussion on a Seabourn board pertaining to tipping because it's a hot button item and it's a slippery slope. 

Rule number 2,

Don't learn Rule number 1 the hard way.

Rule number 3

Life is like Ice Cream. Enjoy it before it melts

Edited by chuckncole

On 7/8/2024 at 4:30 PM, johng75370 said:

I have to respectfully disagree.  The crew fund has been there for many, many years.  It was never advertised (I learnt about it from this forum and have contributed to it every cruise since our 3rd - when I discovered it).  It was NEVER advertised, or dare I say marketed as apparently is now is, win a prize.  Really?  We would get a discreet thank you, a letter from the Purser, maybe the hotel director.  Always donate the last day as we are not looking for anything in return.  Will Seabourn - which we will be on in 11 days from now - have a contribute to the fund letter in the suite the day we board?  Highest contributor gets dinner with the Captain?  Not the Seabourn we have spent over 400 days on.  Sad, glad we have been spending time on Scenic, Regent - met many ex-Seabourn pax there, Explora (growing pains but a lot of potential, and great NEW ships). 

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, 2SailingNomads said:

I have to respectfully disagree.  The crew fund has been there for many, many years.  It was never advertised (I learnt about it from this forum and have contributed to it every cruise since our 3rd - when I discovered it).

I appreciate the respectfiul disagreement, and actually agree with you.  We learned in a similar way (second cruise speaking with another guest, and have contributed on that and the 8 that have followed on SB), and have always since focused our extra gratuity efforts there.  Never have seen any mention or promo on any all-inclusive line, yet they all have it.  We’ve sailed a couple of times on Explora and contributed to their “Host Lifestyle Fund” (ugh!) each time, and likewise Crystal. But in the context of this thread where explicit promo letters are being delivered to cabins (yikes!), not seeing that on my next cruise and simply seeing that sign was a relief.  Did not see it on our transatlantic in April, so was wondering if this was something new.

Edited by johng75370

First time on Scenic I went to the hotel director and asked if they had a crew fund.  He said, how do you know about it but yes.  I told him I wanted to make a donation and he tried hard to dissuade me, telling me there was no reason to.  I persisted as I wanted to thank all the great crew.  (Many ex-Seabourn).

• Like 1

This has been a long topic on tipping.....four pages, and I did not read all... so I do not know if my point I am about to raise was raised before. I'm a longtime Seabourn sailor and returned for first time in years to the Sojourn back in June. I don't like seeing fellow passengers slipping $5 bills to bartenders when they routinely order a drink. I was tempted to say something to the persons I saw doing it - twice, but refrained. This is not right and those doing it are either ignorant of the normal rules or just don't  care. It is unpleasant to watch and dirties up the water for the rest of us. And I'm not talking about at the end of a cruise when some guests reward their favorites with a little something extra before they depart. This was during the cruise..

• Like 7

Perhaps some passengers are not aware that there " ARE NORMAL RULES" stating tipping is wrong., I always thought it wasn't expected.

If people want to tip I don't understand how that "dirties up the waters" for others.   If you feel that there is something wrong with the way you are treated you should report it,

I am curious how you know that people were tipping $5.-- I always thought people tipped more.

1 hour ago, brittany12 said:

I'm a longtime Seabourn sailor and returned for first time in years to the Sojourn back in June. I don't like seeing fellow passengers slipping $5 bills to bartenders when they routinely order a drink. I was tempted to say something to the persons I saw doing it - twice, but refrained. This is not right and those doing it are either ignorant of the normal rules or just don't  care.

As mentioned by 2SailingNomads, plenty of SB customers.....and former crew will be found on a few other lines.  As a longtime Seabourn sailor, you seem to have noticed a different passenger  mix.  This didn't happen overnight.  I don't know why anyone would expect Seabourn of  2005, or when I began sailing SB during 2010 to resemble the same type experience today. 

Maybe it's their great loyalty program that keeps people returning.  Loyalty programs work for airlines and hotels when you have a commitment of hours.  Not so bright when tying up weeks/months.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Utopia1 said:

I am curious how you know that people were tipping $5.-- I always thought people tipped more.

Although I'm not @brittany12, they clearly wrote that the $5 was for individual drinks ("slipping $5 bills to bartenders when they routinely order a drink).  A $5 tip per drink is a generous tip.

And, yes, passengers do tip much larger sums at the end of a cruise.  In my experience, it's rare to notice someone tipping routinely for services in the midst of a cruise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skybluewaters said:

Although I'm not @brittany12, they clearly wrote that the $5 was for individual drinks ("slipping $5 bills to bartenders when they routinely order a drink).  A $5 tip per drink is a generous tip.

And, yes, passengers do tip much larger sums at the end of a cruise.  In my experience, it's rare to notice someone tipping routinely for services in the midst of a cruise.

+1!

just off the Sojourn and this echos my observations!

Nancy

• Like 1

Perhaps my sarcasm was uncalled for-- but it annoys me when people are judgmental or state there are "normal rules" on passenger tipping.

When I mentioned a dollar amount it was sarcastic because the amount of the tip is not relevant..

I have been treated well whether I tip or not--- .  I give gratuities at the end of a cruise--  it is always appreciated and gives me pleasure.  It shouldn't matter to anyone else.

• Like 2

Sarcasm? Sorry, but I did not recognize your attempt. What one does tipping-wise at the end of a cruise is that person's business and no one else's if tha person wants to reward people for exemplary service during the cruise.. That's not the immediate  discussion. I was raising the point of tipping for normal services, like getting a Bloody Mary during a cruise, and slipping a fiver to the bartender. Or supplying towels on deck. Or bringing over a deck chair. I'm sorry you are annoyed Utopia1 that someone would have the temerity to point this out but I think most regular Seabourn sailers, and, Silversea, Regent and Crystal ones too, who abide by the generally prescribed rules suggest4 by the cruise line would call that abnormal tipping behavior on board a luxury cruise line.  And yes, it can affect other passengers in a bad way if other guests see this unusual tipping behavior, think they have to do or should do the same and thus raise crew's expectations about what guests should be tipping for normal services during the cruise. I don't think Seabourn would like this if this developed. Tipping like this is not normal. This is not MSC or Carnival where your drinks card gets punched each time. Inclusive still has some meaning.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brittany12 said:

Inclusive still has some meaning.

I fervently hope you are correct.

“All inclusive, tipping is neither required nor expected” is a major reason we cruise Seabourn and Regent. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, brittany12 said:

Sarcasm? Sorry, but I did not recognize your attempt. What one does tipping-wise at the end of a cruise is that person's business and no one else's if tha person wants to reward people for exemplary service during the cruise.. That's not the immediate  discussion. I was raising the point of tipping for normal services, like getting a Bloody Mary during a cruise, and slipping a fiver to the bartender. Or supplying towels on deck. Or bringing over a deck chair. I'm sorry you are annoyed Utopia1 that someone would have the temerity to point this out but I think most regular Seabourn sailers, and, Silversea, Regent and Crystal ones too, who abide by the generally prescribed rules suggest4 by the cruise line would call that abnormal tipping behavior on board a luxury cruise line.  And yes, it can affect other passengers in a bad way if other guests see this unusual tipping behavior, think they have to do or should do the same and thus raise crew's expectations about what guests should be tipping for normal services during the cruise. I don't think Seabourn would like this if this developed. Tipping like this is not normal. This is not MSC or Carnival where your drinks card gets punched each time. Inclusive still has some meaning.

I am a regular sailor on six star ships--  I have never seen examples of requesting bloody Mary's, requesting extra towels, or anything similar being denied because  a gratuity was not given. I have been made to wait for my drink when the bar was very busy, but that had nothing to do with tipping-- and an apology was usually extended.

You mentioned "Tipping like this is not normal and "Seabourn would not like it developed"== I think this is your opinion rather than fact. 

I have never experienced sailing on a big ship with more than 900 passengers so perhaps there is a difference on the big ships where people who tip get more.    That is not Seabourn.

For the record-- I may not understand your viewpoint-- but I certainly respect the fact that you are explaining your feelings-- as I have attempted to explain mine.

• Like 3