Norway Intensive Cruises 2025

NeilWM

I am thinking of booking a Norway Intensive cruise in June or July 2025 and noticed that at this stage they are lightly booked. I know these cruises are typically very popular and heavily booked.

Is there something unattractive I am missing about Norway or these cruises next year or are people just waiting for some attractive Azamara deals?

Probably the latter.

Norway is beautiful. If you happen to be there for Independence Day join the festivities!!!

What may be holding bookings back is the status of port calls which will be affected by environmental restrictions. 

You can do enough research to get a feel for the changes that are coming in so many places.

I actually thought next year bookings might be heavy earlier than normal because of the ban on certain UNESCO enrolled fjords from January 1, 2026.

We did the Norway intensive in 2023 and it was phenomenal. Most of the cruise was through fiords and other inside passages so calm waters. Prices now are much higher so as Alcpa 1 said that’s probably the reason.

On 6/3/2024 at 5:49 AM, NeilWM said:

I actually thought next year bookings might be heavy earlier than normal because of the ban on certain UNESCO enrolled fjords from January 1, 2026.

FYI Azamara cannot sail into the UNESCO fjords today as they have other restrictions as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks oddjob16.

I undertstand there are already some restrictions so have decided to see your beautiful country as soon as I can.

6 minutes ago, NeilWM said:

Thanks oddjob16.

I undertstand there are already some restrictions so have decided to see your beautiful country as soon as I can.

I would do that if I were you. The two UNESCO fjords are only open to ships with low emitions and I would not let that keep me from booking the cruise. There are plenty of other fjords that are not yet restricted and the itinerary is very nice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2024 at 1:18 AM, NeilWM said:

I am thinking of booking a Norway Intensive cruise in June or July 2025 and noticed that at this stage they are lightly booked. I know these cruises are typically very popular and heavily booked.

Is there something unattractive I am missing about Norway or these cruises next year or are people just waiting for some attractive Azamara deals?

I'm not sure about waiting for a deal. I did a Norway cruise up to Honningsvåg a few years ago and it was about the same price then. Never came down until quite close to sailing at which point I booked an inside cabin at a pretty good price. I really wanted to go so was happy with the deal and cabin. There are only a couple of these itineraries each year and that drives the pricing. 

I was so glad I booked the cruise. An amazing itinerary with sun up for 24 hours once above the Arctic Circle and with Norwegian Captain Johannes at the helm it was the icing on the cake. His schedule indicates he won't be doing Norway in 2025. 

Phil 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, oddjob16 said:

I would do that if I were you. The two UNESCO fjords are only open to ships with low emitions and I would not let that keep me from booking the cruise. There are plenty of other fjords that are not yet restricted and the itinerary is very nice.

It's getting more and more restrictive. Geiranger Fjord has already gone and more to follow. You probably know more than I do!

Phil 

Is there not also an emerging issues with some ports (?? including Norway) that Azamara vessels hit as they cannot use shore power when in port?  The curse of older vessels

I agree excitedofharpenden that it is probably best to book now as Australian prices seem reasonable enough and our favourite cabin is available.

It is a pity we missed doing the trip with Captain Johannes. He was captain on our 2 previous Journey cruises, a very engaging man,  and he told us some great stories of his Norway experiences.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

It's getting more and more restrictive. Geiranger Fjord has already gone and more to follow. You probably know more than I do!

Phil 

Geiranger and Flåm is restricted. The rest of Norway is basically open.

Bergen has some restrictions on land power use, and that will probably spread to other ports in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, NeilWM said:

I agree excitedofharpenden that it is probably best to book now as Australian prices seem reasonable enough and our favourite cabin is available.

It is a pity we missed doing the trip with Captain Johannes. He was captain on our 2 previous Journey cruises, a very engaging man,  and he told us some great stories of his Norway experiences.

Hopefully the Quest(with Johannes) will be back in Norway summer 2026. Keep a lookout for those itineraries as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, oddjob16 said:

Geiranger and Flåm is restricted. The rest of Norway is basically open.

Bergen has some restrictions on land power use, and that will probably spread to other ports in the future. 

Yes, Flåm was the other one I couldn't remember. Two very beautiful ports. 

Phil 

• Like 3

We are heading back to Norway for the third time (first for the "kids") on Saturday and will board an expedition ship a week later. I'm SO excited!!! Svalbard, here we come!!

• Like 2

On 6/3/2024 at 7:22 PM, vanman said:

We did the Norway intensive in 2023 and it was phenomenal. Most of the cruise was through fiords and other inside passages so calm waters. Prices now are much higher so as Alcpa 1 said that’s probably the reason.

Our first AZ cruise was June 2023 on the Norway intensive, possibly the best cruise we have ever done.  

• Like 1