pacific explorer

Hi, can anyone tell me if the Pacific Explorer will still be sailing next year or just let to run down and be scrapped?

3 hours ago, snag said:

Hi, can anyone tell me if the Pacific Explorer will still be sailing next year or just let to run down and be scrapped?

At this stage, I have only heard that she is exiting the P&O fleet or she is being retired. I am not aware of a future owner but if there isn't one, she will sail from Freo to Singapore to destock, then direct to Aliaga for scrapping.

11 hours ago, arxcards said:

At this stage, I have only heard that she is exiting the P&O fleet or she is being retired. I am not aware of a future owner but if there isn't one, she will sail from Freo to Singapore to destock, then direct to Aliaga for scrapping.

At this far out there may not be a buyer, not even a scrapyard. There is still lots of time to execute the sale.

I would not be surprised if Ambassador winds up with Explorer, given they have the former Pacific Dawn (Ambience) and Costa neoRiviera (Ambition). I'd also keep an eye on Margaritaville at Sea, who is probably itching to get rid of Paradise (formerly Costa neoClassica). Fred. Olsen could be in play as well if they are looking either to expand or to replace the 1988-built Balmoral (former Crown Odyssey/Norwegian Crown).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tidecat said:

At this far out there may not be a buyer, not even a scrapyard. There is still lots of time to execute the sale.

I would not be surprised if Ambassador winds up with Explorer, given they have the former Pacific Dawn (Ambience) and Costa neoRiviera (Ambition). I'd also keep an eye on Margaritaville at Sea, who is probably itching to get rid of Paradise (formerly Costa neoClassica). Fred. Olsen could be in play as well if they are looking either to expand or to replace the 1988-built Balmoral (former Crown Odyssey/Norwegian Crown).

Explorer's younger sister (the former Oceana) has been laid up awaiting a buyer for some time. Apparently in better shape, nobody has snapped her up - perhaps the price is too high. There are also two of Royal's Vision class ships that have been on the market for a while.

I would agree that Aliaga is not a done deal, but I can't see a future for Explorer either. Despite the irony, I can't even see Explorer being reunited with Zoltina at Margaritaville.

• Like 1

The wording from Carnival is decommissioned which tends to suggest scrapping.  Of course, it is always possible that a last minute buyer is found such as what happened with Pacific Dawn which was snapped up by Ambassador at the death knell. 

If it were to happen, you'd probably be thinking of cruise-lines like Ambassador or Celestyal as being candidates but they have both expanded a lot in the past couple of years and may want to bed down their current fleet before attempting another expansion.

What we don't know is what the real condition of Explorer is.  We know her public areas are pretty good having been updated by P&O when she came over from Princess.  We also know the cabins are pretty much unchanged from when she was launched 27 years ago.  The real unknown is her engineering condition.  Major parts may be wearing out meaning any new life is not economic.

21 hours ago, reeves35 said:

The wording from Carnival is decommissioned which tends to suggest scrapping.  Of course, it is always possible that a last minute buyer is found such as what happened with Pacific Dawn which was snapped up by Ambassador at the death knell. 

If it were to happen, you'd probably be thinking of cruise-lines like Ambassador or Celestyal as being candidates but they have both expanded a lot in the past couple of years and may want to bed down their current fleet before attempting another expansion.

What we don't know is what the real condition of Explorer is.  We know her public areas are pretty good having been updated by P&O when she came over from Princess.  We also know the cabins are pretty much unchanged from when she was launched 27 years ago.  The real unknown is her engineering condition.  Major parts may be wearing out meaning any new life is not economic.

Judging by some recent photos on another forum, poor old Dora's public areas are getting shabby - torn upholstery on couches and what looks like some of the lining stripped off the lift doors in one instance. Can't speak to the engineering side of things, not something Joe Public sees.

• Like 1

We have got one more cruise on the Explorer in December.

It will be interesting to see if there is any difference on board relating to crew service and maintenance since our last cruise on her in April this year.

Didn't notice any torn upholstery in April but things may have happened with changes in the wind since then.

Daz 

• Like 1

Dora is now showing as for sale, so at this stage, she hasn't been sold for scrap. It isn't a sellers market though. Apart from Dora's newer sister, ships like Rhapsody & Radiance have been up for sale for several months. If not sold by February, Carnival will not await a possible buyer - scrap = cash.

On 6/11/2024 at 6:43 AM, arxcards said:

Dora is now showing as for sale, so at this stage, she hasn't been sold for scrap. It isn't a sellers market though. Apart from Dora's newer sister, ships like Rhapsody & Radiance have been up for sale for several months. If not sold by February, Carnival will not await a possible buyer - scrap = cash.

😟

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2024 at 3:00 PM, ceeceeDee said:

Judging by some recent photos on another forum, poor old Dora's public areas are getting shabby - torn upholstery on couches and what looks like some of the lining stripped off the lift doors in one instance

Oh you mean like these? 😘

Yep, and there were  odd railings missing in some lifts too. 

I tried to wear rose coloured glasses, and the couple of photos I took of the wear and tear were only of the big obvious ones.

Dora is definitely looking worse for wear.

20240529_162951.thumb.jpg.0cc7fbe6917d1ad6d85de3ffeeca922e.jpg20240526_230732.thumb.jpg.742d406e082023c18858ac615be41211.jpg

Edited by Mycruiseobsession