Ping pong table R-Class

kahuna21

Is there a ping pong table on the R-class ships? Where is it located? On the pool deck?

We are booking a penthouse suite on Nautica and don’t want to live under a ping pong table. 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, kahuna21 said:

Is there a ping pong table on the R-class ships? Where is it located? On the pool deck?

We are booking a penthouse suite on Nautica and don’t want to live under a ping pong table. 

Thanks.

I think that's  where it is, but I never thought of ping pong as loud.  

1 hour ago, Kay S said:

I think that's  where it is, but I never thought of ping pong as loud.  

The ping is usually quiet but the pong can be loud enough to disturb. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Kay S said:

I think that's  where it is

That is where it is: on the forward/port side of the pool deck around the corner from the pool bar.  Basically, the opposite position of the smoking lounge on the forward/starboard side.  Or...catty-corner across the pool from Waves Grill.

Edited by DrHemlock
  • Like 1

Don't over think this, in the grand scheme of things this isn't an issue. More importantly you want to keep away from being under Waves Grill and the entrance area to the Terrace. Some folks that think smoke drifts down also don't want to be on the starboard side across from there. 

• Haha 1

On some of the ships the ping pong table has been moved to the starboard side outside the gym area where the couches and other seating under cover were.  Where it used to be by Waves bar is now table and chairs.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, slw207693 said:

On some of the ships the ping pong table has been moved to the starboard side outside the gym area where the couches and other seating under cover were.  

Are you sure the ships you're referring to are R-class ships that the OP asked about?  The seating area you describe is -- or was? -- the smoking area, meaning that smokers would have been moved to someplace else.  But where?  Maybe nowhere...as in Oceania experimenting with going entirely non-smoking as most hotels have done?  Smokers were still starboard-side on our Insignia trip in March.  Anybody currently aboard an R ship who can comment?

Edited by DrHemlock

1 hour ago, DrHemlock said:

Are you sure the ships you're referring to are R-class ships that the OP asked about?  The seating area you describe is -- or was? -- the smoking area, meaning that smokers would have been moved to someplace else.  But where?  Maybe nowhere...as in Oceania experimenting with going entirely non-smoking as most hotels have done?  Smokers were still starboard-side on our Insignia trip in March.  Anybody currently aboard an R ship who can comment?

I believe they're talking one level up. Don't get too excited, I doubt the smoking policy is changing anytime soon. 

My recollection when we were on Vista a couple times, if the PP game was moved it was on the deck above the pool smoking area. 
I can not recall ever hearing issues from folks below the PP table area and Pool Bar. 
I have a major Ditto for ORV, we had terrible noise on Riviera under the TC and Waves enterance. 11065 I believe it was, definitely a NO NO unless you are Deaf, a HEAVY sleeper or O Comped you a PH 🤞😇

Mauibabes

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ORV said:

I believe they're talking one level up

If so, then they're not responding to the OP's question re R-class.  One level up from the pool on an R-class ship is the walking track where it would be a tad too windy for ping-pong while underway, or even on a calm day in port where an errant volley would risk flying overboard.  Where the table is on A-class Vista is irrelevant to the OP.

Edited by DrHemlock
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DrHemlock said:

If so, then they're not responding to the OP's question re R-class.  One level up from the pool on an R-class ship is the walking track where it would be a tad too windy for ping-pong while underway, or even on a calm day in port where an errant volley would risk flying overboard.  Where the table is on A-class Vista is irrelevant to the OP.

Yes you are correct. They do tend to run together sometimes. They did say on some of the ships. On the Marina & Riviera those areas are called the Patio on the Starboard side and Sanctuary on Port. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ORV said:

I've never seen the smoking area on the Port side on any of the ships, although I've only been on Nautica once. 

Oh Lord. A thousand mea culpas. I blame...lack of coffee? Lack of booze?

Let's try this again, the correct way.

Outdoor smoking area - deck 9, forward, starboard.

Ping-pong table - deck 9, forward, port.

Indoor smoking area - deck 10, forward, port.

Outdoor seating area - deck 9, aft-ish, port.

Although I just had two espresso martinis at happy hour, so take this with a grain of salt. (But I did just confirm this with my completely sober husband.) Apologies again - let's see if I can delete my erroneous post!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

There's also the challenge of "which side is which" for those of us who are not native seafarers.  It would be too tacky to say, "As you stand looking toward the front, it's on the left (or right) side."  So, I always have to re-remind myself of the mnemonic based on facing forward:  "Left" and "Port" each have the same number of letters, while "Right" and "Starboard" do not.  

Do not attempt this procedure while facing aft lest confusion reign supreme.

Edited by DrHemlock