Sun or Star

My wife and I normally cruise on Royal but want to try Princess. We are looking at booking either Sun or Star for late November of 2025. I am wondering what thoughts are about Star being functional with the shows and activities like the ropes course since it is roughly a month and a half after it being introduced? I would like to think that they would learn their lesson after the bad reviews and backlash from Sun not being ready. I have also heard that they may make minor changes to Star from what they have learned on Sun. Thoughts?

17 minutes ago, Robo1098 said:

I would like to think that they would learn their lesson after the bad reviews and backlash from Sun not being ready.

And there's the problem.  It is unknown whether the delay in functionality in certain of the venues and features was due to Princess, or the builder.  Either way, Princess decided to start cruising and got backlash for it.  So when one says "learned their lesson", what does that mean?  Does it mean account for more build time than anticipated such that the launch date has more of a time buffer between estimated date of completion and first cruise?  Or does "learn their lesson" mean that they would be better off canceling cruises instead of sailing half-ready?  If it is the latter, then a cruise 6 weeks after anticipated launch date could be seriously jeopardized.  We will never know if:

• The build if the Star will be completed on time with 100% functionality
  • The build of the Star will be behind schedule but Princess will sail on time with limited functionality
  • The build of the Star will be behind schedule and PCL will not repeat what they did with Sun and will delay the first cruise until after there is substantially greater functionality.

Sorry, but no one here can help you.  You have to weigh your tolerance for risk, or book a cruise on Sun Princess.  

• Like 2

Based on the Sun launch, I would only risk the Star at that time if you wouldn't be disappointed with the trip getting cancelled or several venues (restaurants and shows) not being ready.  One can hope they learned their lesson, but I would not bank on it.  And I also don't think the already announced delays would do much to address the finishing work that has plagued the Sun.

The SUN is still a new ship...

Is there an itinerary that you are leaning towards?

In addition to the thing where we can not know how the launch will go...

We do not know if there will be design changes and any real differences between the two ships.

I think this could still be a work-in-progress as the see how things are going on the SUN.

For many long time Princess cruisers, I think these ships are a real departure from the Princess we have known.   These ships are big, full of glitz, big screens... ( Pool Deck, Piazza/Lobby, Dome...) etc...      Just like there are probably significant differences in some of the Royal Caribbean ships.

As a first time Princess cruiser, this wouldn't have any influence on your decision!

16 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

The SUN is still a new ship...

Is there an itinerary that you are leaning towards?

In addition to the thing where we can not know how the launch will go...

We do not know if there will be design changes and any real differences between the two ships.

I think this could still be a work-in-progress as the see how things are going on the SUN.

For many long time Princess cruisers, I think these ships are a real departure from the Princess we have known.   These ships are big, full of glitz, big screens... ( Pool Deck, Piazza/Lobby, Dome...) etc...      Just like there are probably significant differences in some of the Royal Caribbean ships.

As a first time Princess cruiser, this wouldn't have any influence on your decision!

Actually the differences were what attracted us. LOL

You could book both, until we have a better idea on how the Star will be coming along???

Prices only seem to go up.

If you book on the one big Agencies 3 Day Sale, the deposit is non-refundable.

But I think that fully refundable deposits are still offered by Princess.

Decisions... Décisions !!!

We booked TA on Star Princess for October, 2025 while on board of Sun during Memorial Day sale. It was with Refundable $100 /pp deposit and Princess Premium included. Hpefully she will be ready to go.