UBER vs Shuttle - Port Everglades - Freedom of the Seas

We have a group of 9 adults leaving on the Freedom of The Seas in October. We're stay one night pre-cruise at Hyatt Place Cruise Port on SE 10th Ave. Three of the 9 have difficulty walking and would need to be dropped off as close to the specific pier our cruise ship will be docked at. 

I know the Hyatt has a shuttle that will take us to the port, but I'm a little concerned since we are unable to book it in advance & have to wait until we check in the day before. 

I've read two posts about UBER drivers unable to take passengers all the way into the port area to the specific pier of the cruise ship they are boarding. But I can't find anything on UBER or Port Everglades to support this claim. Is it really true? 

Also, will surge pricing be in effect on embarkation morning? With passengers both boarding and leaving the ship, I'm assuming it will be very busy and UBER will enact a surge pricing increase. 

What about taxi service to take us to the port? Will they be able to take us all the way into the port area to the specific pier? 

Do I schedule a shuttle (not hotel shuttle) for the 9 of us? Or UBER or taxi? 

Thanks for your advice!

We were just at Hyatt Place (last month) and saw not only the sign up sheet but the two large shuttles they use. It wasn't crowded at all and looked very easy to do.

On 6/7/2024 at 5:53 PM, Mary59105 said:

Three of the 9 have difficulty walking and would need to be dropped off as close to the specific pier our cruise ship will be docked at. 

This jumped out at me. I'm sailing out of that port in 2 weeks for the first time so I don't have any advanced insight. My wife has difficulty walking so we are bringing a collapsable wheel chair. She can walk some distance but a full day of walking a ship would keep her in bed the next day. So the wheelchair will allow her to conserve energy.

Freedom is a good size ship to put it mildly. Are you bringing any assistance devices or is Royal providing you anything? I'm travelling with a party of 6 that includes 2 kids and a stroller along with the wheelchair. 

So for piece of mind only, I booked a private van to the port. No splitting up the party between Ubers or taxis, no questions about if we can fit all our luggage and other devices etc....

But this works for me. So gather all the info and tips that you can to make the best decision for your situation. Good luck!

No need to be concerned about Hyatt Places shuttle service. They will accomodate as many passengers that sign up. We were just there 2 weeks ago pre and post cruise. It is $9 P.P. and you can have them pick you up at the port after your cruise also. They will take you to the hotel, or to the airport. We have been to this hotel 7-8 times now in the past 10 years. You will enjoy staying there as we do. If you arrive to the hotel early, they will get you into a room as soon as possible with NO extra charge. We arrived there on Sat May 18th. at 10;30 am and they had a room ready for us. If no room is ready they will hold your luggage until one is. The Harbor Shops are is less than 2 blocks walk and has many places for lunch. 

17 hours ago, nhraformula00 said:

No need to be concerned about Hyatt Places shuttle service. They will accomodate as many passengers that sign up. We were just there 2 weeks ago pre and post cruise. It is $9 P.P. and you can have them pick you up at the port after your cruise also. They will take you to the hotel, or to the airport. We have been to this hotel 7-8 times now in the past 10 years. You will enjoy staying there as we do. If you arrive to the hotel early, they will get you into a room as soon as possible with NO extra charge. We arrived there on Sat May 18th. at 10;30 am and they had a room ready for us. If no room is ready they will hold your luggage until one is. The Harbor Shops are is less than 2 blocks walk and has many places for lunch. 

Thank you!