Wait times for restaurant walk-ins

noshoobie

Traveling on the Resilient Lady in November. Does anyone have experience with doing restaurant walk-ins as opposed to making reservations? In general, were the wait times long?

Anywhere from no wait at all to "we can put you on a wait list and text you if we have a cancelation, but we are very busy tonight and probably can't get you in," And yes, I have personally experienced both of these.  Only once did we have a "we will put you on a wait list" not come thru.  A lot depends on how full the ship is as well.  With 1400 sailors, we never had a problem.  With 2350 we did the waitlist option several times successfully.

Not getting into the restaurant does not mean that you'll go hungry.  There is a nightly dinner special in The Galley, in addition to the normal offerings, and it is typically excellent.

My suggestion is to make a reservation for each night, knowing that you can change it, cancel it, or whatever if you decide to do something else.

1 hour ago, cantgetin said:

Anywhere from no wait at all to "we can put you on a wait list and text you if we have a cancelation, but we are very busy tonight and probably can't get you in," And yes, I have personally experienced both of these.  Only once did we have a "we will put you on a wait list" not come thru.  A lot depends on how full the ship is as well.  With 1400 sailors, we never had a problem.  With 2350 we did the waitlist option several times successfully.

Not getting into the restaurant does not mean that you'll go hungry.  There is a nightly dinner special in The Galley, in addition to the normal offerings, and it is typically excellent.

My suggestion is to make a reservation for each night, knowing that you can change it, cancel it, or whatever if you decide to do something else.

Thanks for the info. When you did the wait list what was the most time you waited. There is just two of us. 

Just now, noshoobie said:

Thanks for the info. When you did the wait list what was the most time you waited. There is just two of us. 

We'd go to the restaurant at 5:45 or 6 (right when it opened) and ask if they could get us in that evening. If they couldn't give us a time, they almost always offered the wait list.  There were 2 of us also.  Sometimes they could tell us that they had an opening at X time.  When we waitlisted, the typical wait was about 30 minutes.  If someone doesn't show up, 15 minutes after their slot they are considered a "no show" and their slot can be given to someone on the list.  More polite cruisers will cancel on line, which automatically notifies the restaurant of the opening,

1 minute ago, cantgetin said:

We'd go to the restaurant at 5:45 or 6 (right when it opened) and ask if they could get us in that evening. If they couldn't give us a time, they almost always offered the wait list.  There were 2 of us also.  Sometimes they could tell us that they had an opening at X time.  When we waitlisted, the typical wait was about 30 minutes.  If someone doesn't show up, 15 minutes after their slot they are considered a "no show" and their slot can be given to someone on the list.  More polite cruisers will cancel on line, which automatically notifies the restaurant of the opening,

Thanks again. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, HolsAddict said:

They always find a table for solos very quickly. 

My goodness, do you mean I might have found a line that values solo cruisers?  Instead of feeling invisible and unwanted?  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Most of the tables on VV are for 2 people.  Getting a spot as a solo is rarely a problem unless EVERY table is reserved.  Again, depends in part on how full the ship is.  

10 minutes ago, neverendingcruising said:

Extra Virgin, Pink Agave, and Razzle Dazzle have bar areas with seating and we've had mixed success with eating at the bar when the dining room was otherwise full. 

Our experience has been the same as at the table seating....sometimes it is full, sometimes not.

As a solo I've had both success and failure as a walk-up. The most annoying was when there were empty tables, a group of employees in front of me were immediately seated, and I was told it would be a 1 hour wait (Razzle Dazzle Brunch) - in my opinion not acceptable but I've heard that Virgin now limits employee dining. 

For Extra Virgin the couple in front of me was told they were completely full but could sit at the bar, which was odd because the area I was seated in had plenty of space. 

For Brunch at the Wake I was told it would be a short wait...  10 minutes maybe? 

For Test Kitchen I was seated right away as a walk up.