RCCL Lobster Lunch at Puerto Nuevo and Rosarito Shopping

nanseev

Lobster Lunch at Puerto Nuevo and Rosarito Shopping

I think this may be a fairly new excursion for Royal.  Has anyone been on it and can give feedback?  I’ve never been to Rosarito and have wanted to go…

Make sure it's lobster season otherwise the lobster isn't great.  Usually Oct-Mar is good in season.  We don't normally see much activity around the traps after mid-Fed.  We find November, December and January best.  I would be interested in where they take you shopping.  I would guess it's downtown around the Rosarito Beach Hotel.  I'm not sure I would want to do that drive just for some lobster and trinket shopping.  If you like wine then a trip to the Valle would be my pick or just stay around Ensenada for food and shopping.  Carnival had an excursion to the Sunio Beach Club (100 yards from our Rosarito condo) which is a pretty cool place to enjoy the beach and food is good.  I haven't seen the tour buses around recently.    

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nanseev said:

I’ve never been to Rosarito and have wanted to go

What do you hope to see in Rosarito Beach?  The main part of the town is pretty crowded - especially on weekends - with lots of traffic. The beach can be nice in the summer from July through September (the later the date, the better the weather will be) and it may be fun to spend time at a beach club as suggested above with the biggest being Papas and Beer Rosarito.

I personally would prefer hanging out in Ensenada or Valle de Guadalupe even though Puerto Nuevo can be a fun experience and there is also a fair amount of tourist shopping by the restaurants. 

If you decide on this excursion be advised that you'll be in for at least an hour bus ride in each direction. Good luck with your decision.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, everyone - GREAT input!  We are on Navigator about every 1-2 months or so, and at this point we typically stay on the ship most times we are in Ensenada.  My friends historically have told me I need to try the lobster in Rosarito.  I think I’ll wait for lobster season, as I didn’t consider that at all.  

1 hour ago, SelectSys said:

If you decide on this excursion be advised that you'll be in for at least an hour bus ride in each direction. Good luck with your decision.

More like 90 minutes each way.  Unless the road construction has finished (LOL) there's some really narrow spots.  But then again it's a fairly pretty ride along the coast.  

49 minutes ago, nanseev said:

I think I’ll wait for lobster season, as I didn’t consider that at all.  

Good call, the Puerto Nuevo lobster is really good.  There use to be a place in San Diego that did it well also.  But I think it's long gone.  

Posted (edited)

I did this exact excursion last November out of Princess. It was fun. The beach was pretty dead and pretty sketchy when we were there so we just left fast. The tacos next to the pharmacy where they cook them in front of you (white storefront) were phenomenal. The lobster feed experience had a family feel. The tour guide was excellent and entertaining. I am glad we did it. This was our first Mexican cruise. 

Edited by 808cruisers
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2024 at 9:30 AM, saticoypm said:

Are there any tours or drivers at the dock that go into Valle de Guadalupe?

We have a private driver we frequently use and have used him to take us from our condo in Rosarito to the Valle.  I can't speak to drivers at the dock.  

• 2 weeks later...

There are drivers and cabs at the docks. I personally would grab one of those, instead of jointing a big tour bus from the cruise.  You’ll have plenty of money to get lobster and buy souvenirs left over.  Rosarito isn’t a must do for me, but some people like it.  For lobsters I prefer Ortegas, the last restaurant in thhe corner on the main loop of the Puerto Nuevo fishing village. You can eat on the water and the prices aren’t as cheap as they used to be, but still very reasonable.  You can order your lobster by size, with all the fixings.  I seem to always be tempted into the crab-stuffed bacon-wrapped prawns though.  Mmm.  

IMG_0491.jpeg