Deposits on expedition cruises.

I am looking at an Antarctic expedition cruise in 2026 but am a little concerned by the size of the deposit for a cruise that’s over 18 months away . $5376 for a non refundable booking or $6111 for a refundable one isn’t exactly small change.

As we are sailing on Seabourn soon is there a possibility of reducing this deposit if we book on board, or any other way to reduce the initial outlay ?

Many thanks for any advice. 

Nit sure where you are based but Agents normally discount prices if you are not using one already, AND, you normally get am extra discount if you book on board. SB then trnsfer the booking to yoyu agent for the further discount to your agent.

On 6/13/2024 at 1:53 AM, koalabear6314 said:

I am looking at an Antarctic expedition cruise in 2026 but am a little concerned by the size of the deposit for a cruise that’s over 18 months away . $5376 for a non refundable booking or $6111 for a refundable one isn’t exactly small change.

As we are sailing on Seabourn soon is there a possibility of reducing this deposit if we book on board, or any other way to reduce the initial outlay ?

Seabourn had been offering special on board booking rates for some expeditions. Up to 35% off. Not sure if your desired trip would qualify or what the deposit would be.

On 6/13/2024 at 1:53 AM, koalabear6314 said:

Sounds like you are dealing with a bad TA.  As far as I know and per Seabourns policy everything is refundable up to a certain time depending on the length of the cruise and the longest when payments become non refundable is 6 months prior.  You need a new TA.

I would love to think we could get as much as a 35% discount, but I’ll guess we’ll just have to wait and see when I enquire on board.

As for a bad travel agent , multiple US agents have offered me lower pricing with the non refundable deposit or or a higher price with the refundable option, so it’s clearly not confined to one agency.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, koalabear6314 said:

As for a bad travel agent , multiple US agents have offered me lower pricing with the non refundable deposit or or a higher price with the refundable option, so it’s clearly not confined to one agency.

I have just made an onboard booking for a classic cruise and know others who have booked expedition and there is no mention of a price differential with a refundable or non-refundable price. I would wonder if this is a Seabourn initiative or more likely a travel agent choice. My TA certainly doesn't do this. 

As for having a reduced deposit that is only usually if certain promotions allow it. My recently made booking doesn't and it doesn't include any OBC either. I will just keep an eye on the pricing and before final payment if there is a better offer I will get my TA to re-price it.

Edited by frantic36

5 hours ago, koalabear6314 said:

I would love to think we could get as much as a 35% discount, but I’ll guess we’ll just have to wait and see when I enquire on board.

Are you sure you aren’t thinking of Silversea?  They have refundable and non-refundable prices.  I’ve never seen it with Seabourn other than their last minute fares. 

• Like 1

The expedition cruise I am looking at is in Jan 2026. 
On the Seabourn website with the official pricing there is just the one price .

Multiple big name US agencies have offered me better pricing, with the option of a non refundable deposit and lower overall price or refundable deposit with a higher price ( over $2000 more ) .

The cruise I am about to board shortly had the same offers , but being a lot closer to the actual sailing date the non refundable deposit option and lower overall price, didn’t seem so much of a risk.

From what other posters have said I think it’s best if we wait to see what Seabourn offer on board.  

4 hours ago, SwankPooch said:

As far as I know, Seabourn always has a policy of refundable deposit prior to penalty phase.

Booking Terms on SB vary according to the passengers place of residence - in the UK all bookings are subject to a minimum 10% cancellation fee from time of booking that increases as the cruise gets nearer.

On 6/14/2024 at 2:03 PM, rallydave said:

Sounds like you are dealing with a bad TA.  As far as I know and per Seabourns policy everything is refundable up to a certain time depending on the length of the cruise and the longest when payments become non refundable is 6 months prior.  You need a new TA.

There are a couple of very large well known online cruise agencies in US who have a special lower fare that is specifically stated as deposit non refundable.

Last year they had some absolute bargains on this type of fare for anyone looking to book an OB.

Many TAs cannot access these fares and that is why you probably have never heard of them.