Getting off ship in Miami...

chill6x6

1 minute ago, chill6x6 said:

Quick question!

My itinerary says Explora I arrives back to MIA at 7AM.  Any reason we couldn't be on our way to the airport by 8AM?

Thank you!

Maybe - but it totally depends on when the ship is released by customs.  Then and only then can they begin the disembarking process.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chill6x6 said:

Quick question!

My itinerary says Explora I arrives back to MIA at 7AM.  Any reason we couldn't be on our way to the airport by 8AM?

Thank you!

On our arrival in Miami in March, US Customs sent TWO agents for 600+ passengers and crew…. and MANY  were from Europe whose clearance was EACH 5 MINUTES.

It literally took hours to get off the ship….

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, chill6x6 said:

Quick question!

Thank you!

Very very marginal 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

When we left the ship a couple of weeks ago, clearance was very quick, but as Explora doesn’t have a standard terminal, they have to go to whatever is available, which occasionally causes problems. In our case we were first off the ship, taking our own bags, but it took about 20 minutes for the immigration computers to load, then it was very quick, and although there was a bottleneck shortly afterwards, Heike said that they had five agents working that day and most people reported that they didn’t have any issues. Got an Uber within about 10 minutes and got to Fort Lauderdale airport about 45 minutes later, so we had plenty of time for our 11.20 flight.

Edited by English Tim
Spelling correction
  • Like 2

Appreciate the responses! 

I ended up booking a 2:30 flight out of MIA.  A few times I have been glad we booked flights in the afternoon. Things have happed to me as well...ship get to port an hour later than anticipated...immigration dragging their feet...accident between us and the airport...it all CAN happen and sometimes does. 

I wasn't sure how things went with Explora....but I'm okay with what I booked.

• Like 4

You will receive a letter kin your suite a couple of days prior to disembarking asking for your preference as to time and any onward travel requirements. We were group 2 (they were in 15 minute intervals) and it all worked very smoothly. We were through customs, bags collected (porters were available) and in our taxi in 15 minutes. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, chill6x6 said:

Appreciate the responses! 

I ended up booking a 2:30 flight out of MIA.  A few times I have been glad we booked flights in the afternoon. Things have happed to me as well...ship get to port an hour later than anticipated...immigration dragging their feet...accident between us and the airport...it all CAN happen and sometimes does. 

I wasn't sure how things went with Explora....but I'm okay with what I booked.

It’s all good … until it isn’t!

We’ve had sooooooo many delayed arrivals over the years in Fll, Mia, NYC and Cape Liberty with reasons ranging from medical emergencies to port traffic to 🌫️ fog…..

People on the other boards blithely dispense (lack of) wisdom and say “I’ve never had a problem” but they’re not the ones paying for your new flight if you’re late!

They also haven’t witnessed people FREAKING OUT because they’ve missed their flight.

And it’s just not a matter of coughing up a thousand dollars 💵 to get back to Alabama - with flights being overbooked, you could be stuck for a day or two.

The answer ALWAYS lies in 🍷🍸🍹and 🥟🥠🫒.  As I tell my friends, if you can afford the cruise, you can afford the lounge pass!

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1