OBSERVATIONS FROM THE POOP DECK JUNE 2024

9 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

My motto is "it's not what you wear, but how you wear it".

I have "a killer jewelry collection"......I keep on the same basic clothing and change the jewelry for the occasion.

Personally...I don't care what people wear; I care "how they look".  It's all about styling things well.

Well unfortunately I can't do anything about how I look, I can only dress the part 😆

Jokes aside - point taken!

• Haha 1

On 6/24/2024 at 9:41 AM, morpheusofthesea said:

No one is "hated" in the YC. (Well maybe a few, like me for instance). I just like to point out that there are just a few venues where the guests are asked to dress up and play the part. I really do not care how one is dressed, actually for us it is dinner and a show at the same time. I actually seat myself in a corner with my back to the crowd. Its DW who enjoys the show. I still like to work in my retirement and still dress up with my black long pants, maroon long sleeve Thai silk shirts and black bow ties every work day. Going on cruises allows me to wear all the custom made jackets I had made cruising to Hong Kong and Thailand. I stand out in a crowd like a peacock. Now if everyone abided by the dress codes I would be lost in the crowd no longer a 'spectacle' and just another well dressed snob. I like it the way things are. Here is this point of view.

Another variable in how one may be treated 'differently' by staff in hotels or cruises is in the way one presents oneself.  Four and five star venues go to a lot of trouble and expense to create an 'atmosphere of top notch elegance' and one fails to rise to the occasion and shows great disrespect by dressing in shorts, etc.

We would extend this to every meal when we cruise nowadays. "When you pay for a stay in a hotel, you also pay for the comfort, amenities, and services of a hotel, but it does not necessarily mean that you can do and act whatever you like and however you feel. There are hotel manners that you must take note of. Courtesy and respect beget the same, and knowing what to wear for breakfast in a hotel is a basic manner that makes a big difference. Most hotels establish a formality culture in dining for breakfast as a sign of respect and consideration for other guests and the staff. Unless your breakfast wear is as comparable to your smart-casual wear, that wouldn’t be a problem." https://thealcazar.com/what-to-wear-for-breakfast-in-a.../

https://tableagent.com/article/dressing-to-dine-dress-codes-defined/  you can understand why dress codes are sometimes suggested by eateries of a certain merit: they wish for their guests to experience the world they have created. You can savor the luxury of top-notch service best when you too look and feel first-rate. The essence of fine dining wants to take patrons out of their ordinary lives, and for two hours, allow them to bask in the extraordinary experience of their choice. To truly be apart of such a supreme culinary happening—one must look the part and one must dress to dine.

Not required BUT "Why you should always dress when you go out to eat. Yes, it still matters. By Sam Dangremond, Town & Country. John Winterman, who used to work for Daniel Boulud as maître d' at Daniel, and for Charlie Trotter before that, and asked if he thinks dressing up for dinner still matters."

"Absolutely," said Winterman, who's now managing partner at Batârd in New York City. "I break it down into self-respect and respect for others." Would someone's appearance affect the table they were assigned at, say, Daniel?

"On the record, yes," he said. "If someone comes in making an effort and looking fabulous and glamorous and they know they're in for a premium experience at a premium price, you give them a fabulous table in the middle of the room. And people react to that, when they see a crowd that's well-dressed and beautiful and sparkling."

This is absolutely the best response to that question I have ever read and agree 100%.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MonsterJoe said:

I was thinking Thomas Lennon (The guy from Reno 911)

Sorry for the bumps - I was on vacation (not a cruise!)

This is actually hilarious because in my younger days I completed a 24 hour endurance run wearing a Lieutenant Dangle outfit!  I mean... Gotta fit your own persona eh?  😄 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Bgwest said:

I couldn’t hold a candle. 
His quotes are cerebral. Mine are more redneck. 

Dear Friend, you surpass me with your 'Will Rogeresque' cowboy philosophy, which hits the nail on its head every time. Yours are original, I have no quotes, "only favorite quotations I have come across and stored in my (diary) as ready armor, offensive or defensive amid the struggle of this turbulent existence. " Robert Burns

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, travelwide said:

I can't believe that I just found this thread. Read the whole thing. When can I look for your next adventure? Keep cool and dry down here!

Hopefully July 13, 2024 sailing on Seascape ....again.

P.S. Yacht Club

Edited by morpheusofthesea
ps
  • Like 2