Cruising with cancer

My friend’s husband was diagnosed with prostrate cancer two years ago and has been through radiotherapy and chemotherapy and is now considered to be in remission. I wonder if any of you fellow cruises have been in a similar situation and whether or not Saga insurance will cover him knowing it’s a pre-existing condition. All advice gratefully received thank you.

Seven years ago I was operated on for an enlarged prostate. Latterly tests showed that were cancer cells present. We had already booked insurance through Saga for an upcoming cruise. On revelation of my condition the first question I was asked was whether the date of the diagnosis was over 6 months ago. At that time the answer was no. Immediately I was told that they could not insure me and I had to look for insurance elsewhere. I was given the diagnosis a month after the operation but they would not accept the fact  that was longer than six months. However yours was over two years ago so this was obviously not apply. With this in mind you will probably be able to be insured especially as you are in remission 

Since then I have had a PSA test every six months and they are now quite happy to accept this and I have been insured with Saga cruises ever since. 

17 minutes ago, Kenmure said:

Seven years ago I was operated on for an enlarged prostate. Latterly tests showed that were cancer cells present. We had already booked insurance through Saga for an upcoming cruise. On revelation of my condition the first question I was asked was whether the date of the diagnosis was over 6 months ago. At that time the answer was no. Immediately I was told that they could not insure me and I had to look for insurance elsewhere. I was given the diagnosis a month after the operation but they would not accept the fact  that was longer than six months. However yours was over two years ago so this was obviously not apply. With this in mind you will probably be able to be insured especially as you are in remission 

Since then I have had a PSA test every six months and they are now quite happy to accept this and I have been insured with Saga cruises ever since. 

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply - good to know you are cruising despite all this. 

I believe Saga will only ask for details of treatment over the last five years for conditions such as cancer and heart problems. Of course you should tell them about all ongoing and recent issues, including tests. It was certainly possible a few years ago to cruise with the included travel insurance two years after extensive treatment for cancer. It could be that they’ve changed underwriters who could have different criteria. But I think you should be OK. 

20 hours ago, Spence55 said:

I believe Saga will only ask for details of treatment over the last five years for conditions such as cancer and heart problems. Of course you should tell them about all ongoing and recent issues, including tests. It was certainly possible a few years ago to cruise with the included travel insurance two years after extensive treatment for cancer. It could be that they’ve changed underwriters who could have different criteria. But I think you should be OK. 

Thank you - as I said in my earlier post this isn’t about me it is about my friends husband. I will pass the information onto them and fingers crossed all will be well and they can take a cruise. Thank you again.

The answer is yes , but it was 4 years after the radiation before we cruised with Saga, I  told them about the prostate cancer. They then asked about ongoing medication,  the answer was No ongoing medication so happy to insure me. NB  staysure were happy to insure me after 2 years, but premium was double normal. 

On 6/16/2024 at 12:49 PM, Ladycommonsense said:

My friend’s husband was diagnosed with prostrate cancer two years ago and has been through radiotherapy and chemotherapy and is now considered to be in remission. I wonder if any of you fellow cruises have been in a similar situation and whether or not Saga insurance will cover him knowing it’s a pre-existing condition. All advice gratefully received thank you.

11 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

The answer is yes , but it was 4 years after the radiation before we cruised with Saga, I  told them about the prostate cancer. They then asked about ongoing medication,  the answer was No ongoing medication so happy to insure me. NB  staysure were happy to insure me after 2 years, but premium was double normal. 

Thank you - and good to know you are well.