Golf

Harbour20

Has anyone played golf in mid July while docked at Dockyard?  We will be there on Wednesday, Thursday and leave at 4:00 on Friday.  I will have to rent clubs.  Looking for recommendations and if it might be too warm to play in afternoon.  Can you book while on the ship or best to book on my own?

Advice is welcomed.

Thank you Limon,  I have already gone to the website and want to sign up but was wondering if anyone knew how warm it can be as the package doesn’t begin until after 2:00.  It is a great price.  

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Harbour20 said:

Thank you Limon,  I have already gone to the website and want to sign up but was wondering if anyone knew how warm it can be as the package doesn’t begin until after 2:00.  It is a great price.  

Better to go in the morning but mid June the heat will probably be tolerable. My freind would get a 7:30am or 8:30am tee time when we went June. Unfortunately can't predict the weather but June is usually less humid than July and August but expect 80 to 85 in the afternoon. . 

Edited by Charles4515

The temperature will probably be mid 80’s.  Port Royal sits next to the ocean so there will be some nice sea breezes.  We’ve golfed at Port Royal several times in the past (usually late August/early September) and found out that the NCL ship (we were on Celebrity) has a morning excursion which takes up a chunk of tee times, so mornings might be out.  I’d take the 2:00 pm deal.  

18 hours ago, Harbour20 said:

Has anyone played golf in mid July while docked at Dockyard?

It will be extremely hot and humid most likely. 

18 hours ago, Harbour20 said:

I will have to rent clubs.  Looking for recommendations and if it might be too warm to play in afternoon.  Can you book while on the ship or best to book on my own?

I think the best golf on the island is at the Mid Ocean Club. It is private but they will allow a limited number of tee times for non members if you call and ask nicely. You need to call yourself. They also have a private beach and beach club which is fantastic if you golf early. 

15 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

It will be extremely hot and humid most likely. 

I think the best golf on the island is at the Mid Ocean Club. It is private but they will allow a limited number of tee times for non members if you call and ask nicely. You need to call yourself. They also have a private beach and beach club which is fantastic if you golf early. 

You should mention that Mid Ocean is a challenging course. It is on the other side of Bermuda than the Dockyard and it is more expensive than Port Royal. 

32 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

You should mention that Mid Ocean is a challenging course. It is on the other side of Bermuda than the Dockyard and it is more expensive than Port Royal. 

Mid Ocean is challenging but it's a much higher quality course than Port Royal. Port Royal has some nice holes but its a more modern course and doesn't have the same charm that Mid Ocean has. 

Thank you SueMo, that information was helpful.  We will be on Celebrating and there is a NCL ship there the days we are there.  I live on Hilton Head and have played in warm weather (90) but not when the humidity gets too high.  

I am aware of Mid Ocean but it might be too far for me without my husband.  I have read their website and the guest fee is considerably higher.  I can see that it is a beautiful course.  I have played some beautiful courses on Hilton Head with water views as well.

1 hour ago, Harbour20 said:

I am aware of Mid Ocean but it might be too far for me without my husband.  I have read their website and the guest fee is considerably higher.  I can see that it is a beautiful course.

It is on the other side of the island so there's that, but you can take the ferry to St Georges. And it is more expensive but you get what you pay for here-- Port Royal is nice but it's a corporate/resort course and feels that way. There's something very special feeling about MOC-- regularly ranked in top 100 in the world. It's worth the extra effort and expense if you are inclined. 

20 hours ago, Harbour20 said:

There is also a special that you can do if you want to play in the morning as well ($220 vs $130). It does cost more but it will be cooler. 

• Like 1