Riviera Live Rome to Trieste June 17-27

We are just waiting for the entertainment to start in the theatre to wrap up our day in Toranto.  

My DW enjoyed her shore excursion to the winery but our abbreviated port call (reduced by 3 hours) meant they had a total of 2 hours on the bus and 1 hour at the winery.  Did not consider it to be a great excursion

The chair hogs were out in full force around the pool. Anything in the shade was "taken" by 10 and most remainded empty from I could see.  I heard an older couple in the hall saying they should get up by 8 and "reserve" some loungers. So it begins.....

Trivia in martinis is getting more popular by the day. 26 teams today and they are moving it to horizons tommorrow

Diner for the two of us in the Grand Dining Room.  DW loved her dinner which was the lamb.  I had free range chicken which was not very good for several reasons.  Carrot cake was a definite fail for both of us but pineapple sorbet was excellent

Last post didn't work so submitted it and now todays observations(Saturday)

In Katakolon Greece today, one of five ships in port with about 12,000 plus passengers.  We were changed to a tender port which slowed things down 

We had an O excursion booked for 10 am departure. We were in the meeting point 15 minutes early and registered then they called our numbers along with another tour and general tender boarding.  Result was a stampede to the stairs to disembark. No crew were trying to manage or communicate with the people jammed in the stairs and in the hall   As a result the tender departed without us.  The next tender was delayed due to the crowd size and mobility challenged guests.  When we got to the pier our tour bus had departed!   The tour manager put us on another bus which detoured to drop us at our site.  Missed very little so it all worked out

we now have tried all the restaraunts and Pollo is the clear winner for our group. Toscana is number two then no clear winner for the rest

4:30 trivia , no set dinner plan but there is a comedian in the lounge at 930 and my DW is extremely excited about karaoke in horizons tonight

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, thebsinmiss said:

In Katakolon Greece today, one of five ships in port with about 12,000 plus passengers.  We were changed to a tender port which slowed things down 

Five ships in Katakolon ! ......that would have been madness ashore.

As the only ship in port when we were there last year we had a pleasant day generally taking it easy at the waterfront restaurants 5 minutes from the ship.

It's a pretty port town. 

Edited by Tranquility Base

Sunday in Korfu.  Riviera and Viking only ships in port today so it's relatively laid back

The comedian last night was very good and ran an absolutely clean act that was very funny and entertaining which is good as there are 5-6 kids under 10 on board. Place was completely full

DW and I did the sea caves beach and lookout tour.  Went off without a hitch and was very enjoyable.  The key was the guide who was very informative and really understood her information vs just reading from a premade script

Lazy afternoon and doing pizza on terrace cafe tonight

i have had phone calls and personal visit from staff on regarding the three minor issues I pointed out on my mid cruise card. The items were minor and easily resolved but it's obvious each affected department has been tasked to address them by senior management

Dubrovnik tomorrow, hope the heat breaks so the wall walk doesn't reduce us to puddles of sweat

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, thebsinmiss said:

i have had phone calls and personal visit from staff on regarding the three minor issues I pointed out on my mid cruise card. The items were minor and easily resolved but it's obvious each affected department has been tasked to address them by senior management

Thanks for letting us all know this. Comments on the surveys come up here on CC regularly. Good to know that at least some are able to complete it and have response to the feedback.  

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, thebsinmiss said:

Sunday in Korfu.  Riviera and Viking only ships in port today so it's relatively laid back

The comedian last night was very good and ran an absolutely clean act that was very funny and entertaining which is good as there are 5-6 kids under 10 on board. Place was completely full

DW and I did the sea caves beach and lookout tour.  Went off without a hitch and was very enjoyable.  The key was the guide who was very informative and really understood her information vs just reading from a premade script

Lazy afternoon and doing pizza on terrace cafe tonight

Dubrovnik tomorrow, hope the heat breaks so the wall walk doesn't reduce us to puddles of sweat

Hello, Cruising on Riviera in Nov.  Quick couple of questions- Did the ship have passengers on board when cruising to you around west coast of Africa?  Who will be the cruise director on Nov. Cruise back around Africa? Thank you!!

3 hours ago, Woofa said:

Thanks for letting us all know this. Comments on the surveys come up here on CC regularly. Good to know that at least some are able to complete it and have response to the feedback.  

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

The mid cruise survey is done on paper and delivered to your stateroom for completion and then turned in at reception.  The survey people are discussing about difficulty completing is the end of cruise survey which is done electronically and must be completed prior to disembarkation.

• Like 3

Yesterday was Dubrovnik which is very much worth visiting. The city provided free shuttle buses from the port to the old town which ran every 15-20 minutes. Dropped us off at the gate

We got there by 9 am and it was sunny and hot.  Anyone walking the walls after 1 pm likely melted! Take lots of water and a hat.  The views are fantastic and worth the effort. If you buy the Dubrovnik pass it includes access to the maritime museum (located midpoint on the wall) and it's a beautiful space, interesting display ,out of the sun and has a washroom!

After our wall walk we explored old town and all the interesting side alleys.  Crowds were very large with numerous walking tours. We strongly suggest getting off the main tourist loop and explore the back alleys 

dinner at the TC which had day no theme. We ordered pizza from waves but ate in TC to add salads and deserts

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's Tuesday and this must be Kotor!   Sail in was early but worth getting up for.  Over an hour and it was dead quiet , almost like a small boat ride on a mountain lake

port time was limited with all aboard at 1:30-all aboard.  The old city was just waking up so very quiet and the tours had yet to descend on it.  Very compact and if your not looking to have a drink or a bite not a lot else beside clothing stores.  Lots of small very chill cats everywhere so kind of unique

back on board for lunch and a two hour poolside nap.  Watched the sail out from an upper deck

tried to get another dinner at pollo but no luck. Toss up between the GDR and TC either of which is fine

one more stop in Ravenna tomorrow then off the ship at 845 in Trieste Thursday.  Going to drop our bags at a storage near the train station and walk around and have a liesurely lunch and catch a 1:15 train to Venice.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, mauibabes said:

@thebsinmiss

Probably much too late for Ravenna but when we were there we took the tour to the Ferrari Museum. 🙏😇 loved it and thanks to DW for tolerating my day drooling on those cars.  It was very special if someone is into cars. 
Mauibabes

We visited this museum when we were on the road trip in Italy. My husband enjoyed it greatly. I agree that it’s a must for the car enthusiasts.

• Thanks 1

Yesterday had a pre dinner show in the theatre. Lights Cameras Music.  45 minutes and it was very well done and entertaining. 
excellent singing and dancing, not ready for broadway but would watch it again

dinner was at TC and it was excellent. Huge choice with a perfect Beef Wellington , chicken Kiev and many more options 

they had a deck party at 9 pm with a live band that was rocking right up until the heavens opened up.  It poured!  First rain our entire trip.  

now on day nine. Dock in Ravenna at 11 and we plan to walk around town and have passes for the mosaic tile heritage sites

forecast is a toss up on if it will rain in Ravenna while we are there but we will brave the weather either way

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Last night on board!

used the complimentary shuttle provided by the city of Ravenna (not O). This cruise port is 20 minutes outside of the city and in the middle of a huge industrial zone   If mobility is an issue definitely use an O excursion as it's a walk to the port entrance where the shuttle runs from.   Just as an FYI the shuttle in to town was great.  Coming back was disorganized and our wait in line was 45 +minutes.  We left at least another bus load or more waiting for the next free shuttle 

The mosaic sites were unique/beautiful and worth the visit.  DW got some great shots and they were all easily reached by walking.  Note the sites with reserved specific entrance times were not busy and we walked right in well before our allotted time

got a second reservation at the Pollo Grill which we all are looking for as it was everyone's favourite

Tomorrow Trieste and on to Venice via the always reliableitalian train system (assuming no one goes on strike!)

in summary it's been a great ten day cruise on Riviera and the staff and food met all of our high expectations.  

signing off from Oceania Riviera

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Quick addition.  Apparently Trieste is hosting the G7 so we docked over in an industrial area 3 km from down town.  No mention in the currents newsletter or in Paul's many announcements. All of the passengers who were going to walk to town to catch trains or to hotels had to grab cabs which were over stretched. 35 minutes standing in the sun on asphalt waiting for a cab in a huge line.  Lots of really happy guests.  Someone with O finally came out as we were blocking the entrance for arriving guests.  They took a bus meant for crew shuttle and made it to a free shuttle to the train station!  Glad I didn't book the 9:15 train to Venice like originally planned

other issue was many roads and plazas were blocked off by police. Given there are usually G7 protests not the best town to site see in at that time!

none of this was O's doing but communication could have been better. My take away is to do a google search about what's on in each town on a cruise itinerary especially the embarkation and disembarkation ports. 

venice is sunny,hot and packed. Did the Doge and St Marks.  16,500 steps this morning  sitting in hotel courtyard in shade drinking beer. Not going back out until the evening when crowds leave and it cools down.  The vibe in Venice is way nicer at night

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, thebsinmiss said:

Quick addition.  Apparently Trieste is hosting the G7 so we docked over in an industrial area 3 km from down town.  No mention in the currents newsletter or in Paul's many announcements. All of the passengers who were going to walk to town to catch trains or to hotels had to grab cabs which were over stretched. 35 minutes standing in the sun on asphalt waiting for a cab in a huge line.  Lots of really happy guests.  Someone with O finally came out as we were blocking the entrance for arriving guests.  They took a bus meant for crew shuttle and made it to a free shuttle to the train station!  Glad I didn't book the 9:15 train to Venice like originally planned

other issue was many roads and plazas were blocked off by police. Given there are usually G7 protests not the best town to site see in at that time!

none of this was O's doing but communication could have been better. My take away is to do a google search about what's on in each town on a cruise itinerary especially the embarkation and disembarkation ports. 

venice is sunny,hot and packed. Did the Doge and St Marks.  16,500 steps this morning  sitting in hotel courtyard in shade drinking beer. Not going back out until the evening when crowds leave and it cools down.  The vibe in Venice is way nicer at night

Bummer!

We disembark Vista tomorrow in Trieste and have had many alerts as to the changed location and procedure. Several mentions in Currents, a separate letter, specific disembark instructions, etc.

Not sure if it's just the difference of one ship to the next, or if the one day difference meant we expected the change and Marina thought it was getting in before the deadline??

They are providing shuttles for us to the train station - or so they say, we'll know tomorrow!

• Like 1