Kangaroo Island Car Rentals

Going to be at Kangaroo Island 21 January 2025 with our son and daughter-in-law and were looking at renting a car. Has anyone been there lately and can provide any guidance. One poster on CC mentioned renting from Kangaroo Island Connect but it appears they're permanently closed. Many of the other car rentals that come up are at the airport. Any information would be helpful. Thanks Kathy

• 2 weeks later...

There is a Thrifty car rental place a short walk from the tender wharf in Penneshaw.  We rented a car there last year.  Excellent value.

Be careful with your timing though, it is a very big island and we had to rush to get back in time.

• Like 1

Thank you to both of you! I will definitely be checking on these rentals to get a car! Any must see's on the island? We plan to head to the Kangaroo Wildlife Sanctuary but are open to other stops. 

9 hours ago, SKSMIKE5 said:

Thank you to both of you! I will definitely be checking on these rentals to get a car! Any must see's on the island? We plan to head to the Kangaroo Wildlife Sanctuary but are open to other stops. 

As we will be on the Island this November will try and remember to jump back here and let you know before your January trip

On 7/2/2024 at 12:47 AM, stewart_oz said:

As we will be on the Island this November will try and remember to jump back here and let you know before your January trip

Thanks! I booked with Seafront Connect. They sent rental agreement and it said we needed an international drivers license, did you get one or do they accept our US ones? 

Being Australians we  don't need an international license.

Seems most countries now   are requiring international license for non residents.

So it naturally flows onto a rental company requirement.

Actually just checked the license rules for South Australia.  ( The State where Flinders island is located )

"SA driver's licence laws

Short term visitors with temporary visas can drive in SA but must only drive the type of vehicle authorised by their licence. You must carry a current driver's licence issued interstate or overseas at all times. If the licence is not in English you must carry an International Driving Permit or an English translation."

So  on that basis it looks like US one should be valid.  I would ask them. Maybe send a copy of your current license.  

DO REMEMBER WE DRIVE ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE ROAD TO YOU

On 7/6/2024 at 11:19 AM, stewart_oz said:

Actually just checked the license rules for South Australia.  ( The State where Flinders island is located )

"SA driver's licence laws

Short term visitors with temporary visas can drive in SA but must only drive the type of vehicle authorised by their licence. You must carry a current driver's licence issued interstate or overseas at all times. If the licence is not in English you must carry an International Driving Permit or an English translation."

So  on that basis it looks like US one should be valid.  I would ask them. Maybe send a copy of your current license.  

DO REMEMBER WE DRIVE ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE ROAD TO YOU

When did they shift Flinders Island to S.A. bet the Tasmanians don't know.😀

7 minutes ago, beatleman said:

When did they shift Flinders Island to S.A. bet the Tasmanians don't know.😀

DOH.

Try Kangaroo Island     lol 

Gee Hope the ships captain does not make the same mistake 😆

1 minute ago, stewart_oz said:

DOH.

Try Kangaroo Island     lol 

Gee Hope the ships captain does not make the same mistake 😆

Nah it would be OK the tourists from the States wouldn't know the difference lol😆

• 2 weeks later...

Some are saying that it makes sense to rent cars in Adelaide because it’s cheaper.  We were going to fly from Melbourne to Adelaide, rent a car there and drive to the ferry and then drive to the ferry on the way back and leave the car back to the airport and fly to Sydney before the cruise from there to NZ.  Our cruise is 2/26, so still at beginning of planning land in Australia, Right now, trying figure out 11 days on land in Australia, but thinking Sydney to Melbourne (with Great Ocean Road) and Kangaroo Island.  The other option is Tasmania.  

@hubofhockey   Kangaroo island is interesting, but not overly unique  , as far as Australia is concerned.  So something to consider.

If I was doing kangaroo island , I would drive from Melbourne along great ocean road and then via the Currong , onto Kangaroo island and Adelaide.  Flying back to Sydney from there.

If not doing Kangaroo island.  Then a loop.  Melbourne .. Great Ocean road   to Portland or possibly Mount Gambia if time permits, then back via the Grampians  ( small mountain range) , staying at Halls gap for a couple of nights, making sure you at the very least go up to the Boroka Lookout,   then back to Melbourne .

In Sydney,  great cheap way to see the harbor,  is to catch the ferry from Circular Quay to Watson's Bay.  If your into sea food the is a rather nice up market seafood restaurant at Watson's called Doyles.  ( best booked ) .  Choose a nice day and grab the top deck seats on the Ferry  if you can  ( you have to rush for them) .  The pics are my partner at Doyles and on the top deck of the Ferry

20230803_130818.jpg

20230803_123931.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stewart_oz said:

@hubofhockey   Kangaroo island is interesting, but not overly unique  , as far as Australia is concerned.  So something to consider.

If I was doing kangaroo island , I would drive from Melbourne along great ocean road and then via the Currong , onto Kangaroo island and Adelaide.  Flying back to Sydney from there.

If not doing Kangaroo island.  Then a loop.  Melbourne .. Great Ocean road   to Portland or possibly Mount Gambia if time permits, then back via the Grampians  ( small mountain range) , staying at Halls gap for a couple of nights, making sure you at the very least go up to the Boroka Lookout,   then back to Melbourne .

In Sydney,  great cheap way to see the harbor,  is to catch the ferry from Circular Quay to Watson's Bay.  If your into sea food the is a rather nice up market seafood restaurant at Watson's called Doyles.  ( best booked ) .  Choose a nice day and grab the top deck seats on the Ferry  if you can  ( you have to rush for them) .  The pics are my partner at Doyles and on the top deck of the Ferry

20230803_130818.jpg

20230803_123931.jpg

Good suggestions. Are you suggesting an overnight along the Great Ocean Road? If not, Warrnambool would be as far as I would travel on one day. The road from Warrnambool to Portland even though a highway is not in really in good condition so it would be a slower trip. Warrnambool to Mount Gambier is a nice drive. A stop at Portland is worthwhile particularly if interested in history. 

For Sydney, my favourite ferry trip is to Manly rather than Watson's Bay. 

• Like 1

@possum52   I agree would most definitely do an overnight stay along the Great Ocean Road and Warrnambool is a  good option.  The other would be Apollo bay depending on what time they  left Melbourne. 

Manly is certainly another great option The main thing was trying to indicate was seeing Sydney harbor from a Ferry is a good convenient way to do it and much cheaper than the hop on hop off options

8 minutes ago, stewart_oz said:

@possum52   I agree would most definitely do an overnight stay along the Great Ocean Road and Warrnambool is a  good option.  The other would be Apollo bay depending on what time they  left Melbourne. 

Manly is certainly another great option The main thing was trying to indicate was seeing Sydney harbor from a Ferry is a good convenient way to do it and much cheaper than the hop on hop off options

It is a very long drive from Melbourne to Warrnambool in one day along the GOR, it is well over 5 hours without stopping to look at scenery, toilet and refreshment breaks. 

Warrnambool is basically the end of the GOR, so I would stop at Apollo Bay overnight and then on to Warrnambool where there is plenty to do and see. 

Perhaps instead of going onto Portland and Mount Gambier, a more direct route to the Grampians is from Warrnambool. The trip from Warrnambool to Halls Gap is around 2 hours. 

Or maybe travel from Warrnambool to Portland (around 90 minutes), spend the night there and then on to Halls Gap - just over two hour trip. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas.  I have been watching videos on YouTube.  I don’t know what attracted me to Kangaroo Island.  I suppose it’s the scenery and possibly staying at a real nice resort.  

I had been planning on Great Ocean Road on very long day tour.  I have never driven on the left side of the road, otherwise I might do that.  I suppose I could get used to it.  The other option is Tasmania.  I do understand that anything further north than Sydney and I am getting into bad weather risks.  I hadn’t even looked at Warrnabool or Manly.  

We are going more for the nature than the culture. I do appreciate all of the ideas.

• Like 1

@hubofhockey    

Keep in mind anything I say are my personal opinions and experiences . ,  so others will have equally valid inputs.

I gather you will be here in February , so the East coast , Melbourne and Sydney can experince days into the 90's

Tassy  ( our slang , not Wanner Bros, for Tasmania ) is a great place to tour around. Have traveled there a number of times myself. However if this is your first time to Australia and you have only 11 days , I would save it for next time. 

Keep in mind mainland Australia, is about the same size as the USA.  so .. big.

We have only 7 states  so each one is also big. 

Whilst day trip of the Great Ocean Road is doable.  The only practical way for somebody who has not been here before via a tour company ,  and then its rushed.  Best way as myself and @possum52  are suggesting is to allow at least 2  and better still 3 days for it.  Lots of little side detours. Sea breezes make it cooler,  so ok in the warmer weather.

As you indicate your into nature.  Sydney wise. look at the blue mountains up around Katoomba ,  Melbourne , you can head into the Dandenong mountains ( have  a look at the Steam train Puffing billy )  .  Both locations are accessible from the relevant city center by local trains

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stewart_oz said:

@hubofhockey    

Keep in mind anything I say are my personal opinions and experiences . ,  so others will have equally valid inputs.

I gather you will be here in February , so the East coast , Melbourne and Sydney can experince days into the 90's

Tassy  ( our slang , not Wanner Bros, for Tasmania ) is a great place to tour around. Have traveled there a number of times myself. However if this is your first time to Australia and you have only 11 days , I would save it for next time. 

Keep in mind mainland Australia, is about the same size as the USA.  so .. big.

We have only 7 states  so each one is also big. 

Whilst day trip of the Great Ocean Road is doable.  The only practical way for somebody who has not been here before via a tour company ,  and then its rushed.  Best way as myself and @possum52  are suggesting is to allow at least 2  and better still 3 days for it.  Lots of little side detours. Sea breezes make it cooler,  so ok in the warmer weather.

As you indicate your into nature.  Sydney wise. look at the blue mountains up around Katoomba ,  Melbourne , you can head into the Dandenong mountains ( have  a look at the Steam train Puffing billy )  .  Both locations are accessible from the relevant city center by local trains

I certainly understand the size of Australia and we will probably fly from Sydney to Melbourne, after 3-4 days in Sydney.  We will stick with our plan of Great Ocean Road tour with Go West Tours.  I want to be able to enjoy the scenic drive and not do all of that driving on vacation. I am counting on flying from Sydney to Melbourne and then Melbourne to Adelaide and then flying back from Adelaide to Sydney.  We have so many Hilton points that it would cover Hiltons in Sydney, Melbourne and Aukland.  Thinking about the Sea Dragon in Kangaroo Island.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

I certainly understand the size of Australia and we will probably fly from Sydney to Melbourne, after 3-4 days in Sydney.  We will stick with our plan of Great Ocean Road tour with Go West Tours.  I want to be able to enjoy the scenic drive and not do all of that driving on vacation. I am counting on flying from Sydney to Melbourne and then Melbourne to Adelaide and then flying back from Adelaide to Sydney.  We have so many Hilton points that it would cover Hiltons in Sydney, Melbourne and Aukland.  Thinking about the Sea Dragon in Kangaroo Island.  

Looked at the Go West Tour and it certainly covers a lot of the iconic sites, so looks good .idea.

I have done the Apostles helicopter flight. Gives a different perspective. 

Will chuck another thought into the mix for you.  

Have you looked at Philip Island.   Smaller than Kangaroo Island, but similar scenery etc

Accessed via bridge instead of Ferry

Big thing with it is the Penguin Parade.  Something unique to  the Southern Hemisphere.

Plus various other nice scenic sites

Its accessible  from Melbourne via another long day trip,  or alternative is a stay down there as there is some nice accommodation in a  town Cowes

Can then avoid the driving etc 

Edited by stewart_oz
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, stewart_oz said:

Will chuck another thought into the mix for you.  

Have you looked at Philip Island.   Smaller than Kangaroo Island, but similar scenery etc

Accessed via bridge instead of Ferry

Big thing with it is the Penguin Parade.  Something unique to  the Southern Hemisphere.

Plus various other nice scenic sites

Its accessible  from Melbourne via another long day trip,  or alternative is a stay down there as there is some nice accommodation in a  town Cowes

Can then avoid the driving etc 

Yes, I might do both.  Go West also does Philip Island and the Penguin Parade looks amazing.  We are in Maine 5 months a year, so don’t need lighthouses, and want to see things unique to Australia.  Also, I am not against all driving.  I am willing to rent a car at Adelaide Airport and putting it on the ferry and use it for Kangaroo Island.  For city stuff, seeing Sydney and Melbourne would be great.  

Thanks everyone on here for your help.  We always wanted to do this trip, but never had the time to do it.