Let’s Not let QE feel left out…semi-live Alaska report

NE John

4 hours ago, NE John said:

I wanted to take a picture of her name to share but I forgot… She sounded German or Central European when she spoke. Dunno!

She was both a Virtuoso and entertaining. 

I know she is Sri Lankan because I had the opportunity to chat with her and her husband.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, FrigidRock said:

Hi QE Alaskans 🐧 We have a QE Alaskan cruise coming up and just got an email that Skagway will now be a tender disembarkation due to mudslides.  I have a non-cruise excursion booked at 9am and am worried about getting off the ship on time.  Has any recent QE Skagway dockings been via tender and have there been any issues getting off the ship and into town quickly?

9 AM sounds like it could be tight, especially since They will probably prioritize passengers who have an excursion booked through Cunard. Have you been given an arrival time? 

You might go to the Alaska port of call board and ask there what tendering is like. Your answer may not be specific to Cunard, but you can get an idea of how long the tender ride is likely to be. 

Which cruise are you on?  If the QE is docked at Railroad Dock Forward then tendering is normal this season as it was last year.  If the QE is berthed at the other docks or Railroad Dock Aft this is a change. 

We are going on the 22 July cruise and have not been notified of any tendering.  

We are on the 9th September cruise.  Here is the email we got:

IMPORTANT NOTICES

Important information regarding your itinerary

Please be advised that Queen Elizabeth will be utilising the forward berth at the Railroad Dock for our call to Skagway, Alaska on 13 September 2024. As the port area in Skagway has been affected by nearby rockslides, the path adjacent to the dock is closed and guests are not currently permitted to walk in the area where construction on mitigation measures is underway.

As a result, tender boats will be in operation to and from the ship in Skagway, to allow guests to go ashore. There will be no access to the ship via the dock. 

According to the Cruise Line Agencies of Alaska calendar, on July 27 QE is at RRA (2 other ships that day). Lucky little Zaandam gets the Broadway dock.  On September 13, QE gets RRF (3 other big ships that day).

Cruise Ship Schedule Calendar Combined Ports (claalaska.com)

I think the tenders go to the ferry dock or the marina, which isn't a long ride. It will probably take longer to load and unload the tenders than the actual ride. 

FYI - I just submitted my review on the CC Review site so it should be up in a couple of days. A quick preview: all good except for my usual moaning about the dress code…

Also, sorry @FrigidRock about the Skagway mudslide changing your schedule. These mudslides are not uncommon up there. This is a picture from leaving Haines. 

IMG_4653.jpeg

Edited by NE John
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1