Ruby Princess: ALASKA 2024 Princess Plus Package

Hi Everyone!

Apologies first for the repetition of "Plus Cruise Package" as I'm trying to make a clear distinction between "Plus CRUISE Package" and the "Plus DRINKS Package".  🙂

Recent Cruisers on Ruby Princess (2024 Alaska) who had Princess Plus CRUISE Package:

1)  Embarkation Day: 

a)  Does the WIFI & Drinks portion of the Plus Cruise Package become effective as soon as you embark? 

b)  Once you step aboard the ship, do you need to "tap in" the medallion in order to activate the WIFI & Drinks portion of the Plus Cruise Package or does it "automatically" activate?

c)  I understand that some departure locations (eg. Texas?) are required by law to charge taxes on the drinks while docked in port.  This is true despite cruisers having the Plus Cruise Package.  For those who have Plus Cruise Package, does Vancouver departure port charge any additional taxes (or other fees) for drinks while docked in port? 

I intend to check my folio frequently (as recommended here by Cruise Critic Pros) and don't want to be alarmed if I see additional taxes or fees for embarkation day drinks.

2)  Debarkation Day:

a)  I believe that the Plus Cruise Package (alcohol portion) is set for this time period:  6:00 am to 6:00 am.

b)  I understand that cruisers have reported different experiences.  For those 2024 cruisers who had Plus Cruise Package, please share your experiences AND please advise which ship you sailed on:

*  For drinks ordered past 6:00 am on Debarkation Day were you charged for these drinks?

*  What drinks did you order?  Alcoholic?  Non-Alcoholic?

*  Is the drinks portion of the Plus Cruise Package valid on Debarkation Day (regardless of time even past 6:00 am) until you physically disembark the ship?  Valid for BOTH alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks?

Thanks for your help!

Posted (edited)

If you purchased the cruise fare package ($60 USD per day per person), you will be able to order drinks as soon as you board the ship and not pay any additional taxes or gratuities for your drinks provided they are within the $15 limit.  As you’ve already mentioned, this is different in ports out of Texas but not in Vancouver.  So, you should be good to go.  If you purchase a drink over the $15 limit, you will be charged the difference plus 18% in addition to whatever local taxes are applicable until you are at sea.  

There have been times when we were charged for drinks on the disembarkation date after 6:00 AM.  We did get these charges removed on the rare occasion it happens and the guest services noted it is supposed to be good until you disembark.  We actually got mimosas with champagne and specialty coffees so, the bill was worth mentioning.  This was on the Majestic but there are ships where we’ve not gotten charged after 6:00 AM.  

Edited by Cruise Raider

Thanks for the info!  Great minds think alike.  Mimosa & Specialty Coffees ... that is our plan too!  I don't drink but my husband drinks so he may like to have a farewell Mimosa.

As for the specialty coffee ... if we're able to get it in a "to go" cup, are we allowed to disembark the ship with the coffee or must we finish or throw it away? 

Does Vancouver have the same rules about not bringing off the ship any food or beverage (other than packaged snacks or bottled water)? 

We're constantly running late so if no "to go" cups of coffee are allowed off the ship in Vancouver then we need to plan to get our coffee earlier so we have enough time to finish it.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Compared to previous cruises we found ourselves having many hot chocolate drinks with a shot of brandy / amaretto / creme de menthe in due to the cold weather in Alaska and all included with plus

• Like 1

Beverages, including alcoholic beverages, on disembarkation day are included in the Plus or Premier fare package. The count for alcoholic beverages starts over each day, including disembarkation day, at 6 am. You are limited to only 15 alcoholic beverages between 6 am and the time you leave the ship.

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Your coffee will need to be drunk or tossed before leaving the ship. Only factory sealed allowed off.

Tks.  Was afraid this would be the case.  Was hoping that our "to go" cup would be allowed.  Extends the "cruise" feeling a little longer even after we disembark.  We won't be in a hurry to get anywhere.  Therefore, weather permitting, we have plans to allow our kids to watch the cruise ships a bit before we leave the cruise terminal.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Essex Racer said:

Compared to previous cruises we found ourselves having many hot chocolate drinks with a shot of brandy / amaretto / creme de menthe in due to the cold weather in Alaska and all included with plus

Sounds delicious!  I don't drink alcohol ... maybe a sip here or there because it makes me feel ill but I'll definitely pass along these yummy tips to my husband.  That's also another reason why we bought the Plus Cruise Package ... low risk to try new drinks!

14 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

Beverages, including alcoholic beverages, on disembarkation day are included in the Plus or Premier fare package. The count for alcoholic beverages starts over each day, including disembarkation day, at 6 am. You are limited to only 15 alcoholic beverages between 6 am and the time you leave the ship.

Thank you!!  Appreciate the information!