New restrictions on easyair?

12 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

This was posted on the Cruise Air board thread that I started…has anyone attempted to contact an EZair supervisor in an attempt to book flights more than 5 days pre & post cruise?

The answer below was also posted regarding this topic on Facebook.

I haven't tried, but there is still the problem of how you're able to re-check fares.  Are you going to have to get on the phone every single time that you want to check fares.

This is a personal thing, but I hate verbally making air reservations over the phone.  I remember in the 90s having to jot single detail down when choosing flights.  It's also a problem if what the rep on the other end dictates to you is wrong.  It's so much easier to have all the options in front you on your computer screen.  Click, click, and you're done.

This is a step in the wrong direction.  Just reopen EZAir reservations past 5 days on the passenger website.

Screenshot 2024-06-29 153841.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

I haven't tried, but there is still the problem of how you're able to re-check fares.  Are you going to have to get on the phone every single time that you want to check fares.

This is a personal thing, but I hate verbally making air reservations over the phone.  I remember in the 90s having to jot single detail down when choosing flights.  It's also a problem if what the rep on the other end dictates to you is wrong.  It's so much easier to have all the options in front you on your computer screen.  Click, click, and you're done.

This is a step in the wrong direction.  Just reopen EZAir reservations past 5 days on the passenger website.

I agree with you…needing to call to book outside of the 5 days pre & post cruise window creates too much unnecessary work that can go wrong. And it would require calling them again for refaring flights after doing a dummy booking search for EZair airfares. More unnecessary work for Princess & their guests by having to call them instead of easily doing it online.

It makes no sense at all to add the human factor that is subject to making errors that rarely happened with their computer booking system. It’s been many years since I needed to communicate with EZair about an issue & could not directly talk to them…only by having a call center rep communicating with them while placing me on a brief hold.

And that was when dealing with experienced US based reps which are now staffed by inexperienced offshore reps to save money…so frustrating.

I’m dreading calling Princess in hopes of talking to EZair about a one-way flight from Australia to NZ. That’s necessary because ending the first cruise in Oz & then beginning the next cruise two days later from NZ. Living in the US on their booking site we can only book flights from US cities to Auckland. Some have reported getting that done by calling however it likely has more to do with being lucky to have an experienced rep which is more difficult due to their offshore call center.

This is not how customer service is supposed to work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Thanks for posting this update. That was my post and after not getting a reply for a few days I had stopped checking it. I’ve just replied again to offer them more feedback. 

• Like 1

We have used EZAIR, many times, and never called Princess.  It is relatively simply to use their online booking engine.   But the 5 day limitation (which also applies to Seabourn, HAL, etc) simply drives us to booking direct with the various airlines.

Hank

11 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We have used EZAIR, many times, and never called Princess.  It is relatively simply to use their online booking engine.   But the 5 day limitation (which also applies to Seabourn, HAL, etc) simply drives us to booking direct with the various airlines.

Hank

We have a TA booked on a HAL ship that disembarks in Rotterdam on April 20 followed by a 5 day river cruise that disembarks in Amsterdam on April 27. We booked a nonstop UA flight from AMS to SFO on April 27 using EzAir before the 5 day restriction for $1183.20. If I booked the same flight directly on the UA website it would be $2525. Fortunately, there are other airlines with prices comparable to the EzAir flight at the basic economy rate with at least one stop. Prices most likely will increase by final payment date. I am hopeful HAL doesn't cancel my booking, but nice to know they might work with me, especially if better flights show up and I want to make a change.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billco said:

We have a TA booked on a HAL ship that disembarks in Rotterdam on April 20 followed by a 5 day river cruise that disembarks in Amsterdam on April 27. We booked a nonstop UA flight from AMS to SFO on April 27 using EzAir before the 5 day restriction for $1183.20. If I booked the same flight directly on the UA website it would be $2525. Fortunately, there are other airlines with prices comparable to the EzAir flight at the basic economy rate with at least one stop. Prices most likely will increase by final payment date. I am hopeful HAL doesn't cancel my booking, but nice to know they might work with me, especially if better flights show up and I want to make a change.

Have you tried Iceland Air for transatlantic flights?  I just booked Rome to NY for $950 business class next May, 2025, and that’s for refundable. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, billco said:

I am hopeful HAL doesn't cancel my booking

My parents have a booking on the Sun in August of this year and booked through EZAir.  Really, really dirt cheap $813 per person fare on BA for one way segments, SFO-ATH and FCO-SFO, which they booked months ago with arriving/departing flights 7 days before/after their cruise.  These flights were auto ticketed a few days by EZAir after the 5 day pre/post cruise limitation was instated.  Once the air portion is in the cruise line's air reservation system, I agree, that the reservation will be honored.

11 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Have you tried Iceland Air for transatlantic flights?  I just booked Rome to NY for $950 business class next May, 2025, and that’s for refundable. 

Yes. $1051 Economy Flex Refundable with two stops, each with 1hr 25 min layovers.

Edited by billco

23 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

A nice benefit of using Icelandic is the ability to do a multi-day stopover in Iceland.   In the past we have also used Aer Lingus which allows multi-day stopovers in Ireland (either Dublin or Shannon).  It is a great way to extend a vacation with a land trip without incurring any additional airline costs.  For a cruise we are taking next year, out of Tokyo, we already booked direct with Turkish Air (recently voted the best European airline and also known for terrific business class) and built in a few day stopover in Istanbul.

I think many folks, who can manage the time, miss out by not taking advantage of the stopover potential of many airlines.  

As to EZAIR (and similar programs with other cruise lines) the once amazing deals (especially in business/first class) have all but disappeared.  Two years ago we booked a one way business class trip from Prague to Washington. DC for only $1000 using Seabourn's version of EzAir.  Try to do that today!  Looking at EZAIR prices to Japan, for 2025, the prices are off the charts and almost identical to booking direct with the airlines.  Whether this is a temporary set-back, or represents a new policy of the airlines, has yet to be determined.

Hank

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

A nice benefit of using Icelandic is the ability to do a multi-day stopover in Iceland.   In the past we have also used Aer Lingus which allows multi-day stopovers in Ireland (either Dublin or Shannon).  It is a great way to extend a vacation with a land trip without incurring any additional airline costs.  For a cruise we are taking next year, out of Tokyo, we already booked direct with Turkish Air (recently voted the best European airline and also known for terrific business class) and built in a few day stopover in Istanbul.

I think many folks, who can manage the time, miss out by not taking advantage of the stopover potential of many airlines.  

As to EZAIR (and similar programs with other cruise lines) the once amazing deals (especially in business/first class) have all but disappeared.  Two years ago we booked a one way business class trip from Prague to Washington. DC for only $1000 using Seabourn's version of EzAir.  Try to do that today!  Looking at EZAIR prices to Japan, for 2025, the prices are off the charts and almost identical to booking direct with the airlines.  Whether this is a temporary set-back, or represents a new policy of the airlines, has yet to be determined.

Hank

How many days stopover do you recommend? We can’t do it on the currently booked trip since I’m not yet retired, but definitely worth considering next time. 

32 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

We assume you are aware that Icelandic Business Class is not your typical business class, but rather something akin to other airline's premium economy  Icelandic's Saga Class (what they call business) does not have lay flat seats.  We still think it is a terrific deal, but some folks are disappointed when they see the seats.

Hank

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We assume you are aware that Icelandic Business Class is not your typical business class, but rather something akin to other airline's premium economy  Icelandic's Saga Class (what they call business) does not have lay flat seats.  We still think it is a terrific deal, but some folks are disappointed when they see the seats.

Hank

Yes I’m aware…I don’t need lie flat seats for westbound since it’s not an overnight flight. All the other traditional business amenities seem to be there though. 

16 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

How many days stopover do you recommend? We can’t do it on the currently booked trip since I’m not yet retired, but definitely worth considering next time. 

Depends on how much time you have and your budget.  We have twice done 1 week stopovers (in Ireland), rented a car, and explored lots of the country.  I am not sure of the current Aer Lingus rules, but they used to be fine with up to a 10 day stopover.   I had once thorught about flying into Dublin, renting a car, and a few days later flying back the USA from Shannon.  But we never explored the pricing (not sure if it costs more) nor did we look into a one-way rental car drop.  

7 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Yes I’m aware…I don’t need lie flat seats for westbound since it’s not an overnight flight. All the other traditional business amenities seem to be there though. 

Agree.  We always book lay flat seats for the east bound red eyes, but will sometimes settle for premium economy for west bound.  Last month we tried Delta's Premium Select on a flight from Milan (MSP) to JFK, and it was OK.  On the other hand, we probably should have booked La Campagne's flight (to Newark) since they have all lay flat seats with pretty decent pricing.  By the way, La Compagne is an option (for Paris or Milan) that one will not find on EZAIR or any other cruise line air deal.  That all business class airline is often about the same price as the major's premium economy.

Hank

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Depends on how much time you have and your budget.  We have twice done 1 week stopovers (in Ireland), rented a car, and explored lots of the country.  I am not sure of the current Aer Lingus rules, but they used to be fine with up to a 10 day stopover.   I had once thorught about flying into Dublin, renting a car, and a few days later flying back the USA from Shannon.  But we never explored the pricing (not sure if it costs more) nor did we look into a one-way rental car drop.  

Agree.  We always book lay flat seats for the east bound red eyes, but will sometimes settle for premium economy for west bound.  Last month we tried Delta's Premium Select on a flight from Milan (MSP) to JFK, and it was OK.  On the other hand, we probably should have booked La Campagne's flight (to Newark) since they have all lay flat seats with pretty decent pricing.  By the way, La Compagne is an option (for Paris or Milan) that one will not find on EZAIR or any other cruise line air deal.  That all business class airline is often about the same price as the major's premium economy.

Hank

Thank you for all of this on stopovers as well as the tip on La Compagne. Are they partnered with any other airlines?

We tried Delta Premium Select as well and didn’t care for it, even westbound. It’s one of the few airlines that flies direct to and from Athens, now that Greece no longer has its own transatlantic air service, so I had to try it out.  I generally find Delta to be overpriced for what they offer, and very stingy with miles and reward flights/upgrades. 

I did like Emirates, which I was able to book using AC miles, direct from EWR to ATH but it wasn’t their famous first class with suites. Still their business class was more than adequate. 

On 6/30/2024 at 10:27 AM, vjmatty said:

Thank you for all of this on stopovers as well as the tip on La Compagne. Are they partnered with any other airlines?

We tried Delta Premium Select as well and didn’t care for it, even westbound. It’s one of the few airlines that flies direct to and from Athens, now that Greece no longer has its own transatlantic air service, so I had to try it out.  I generally find Delta to be overpriced for what they offer, and very stingy with miles and reward flights/upgrades. 

I did like Emirates, which I was able to book using AC miles, direct from EWR to ATH but it wasn’t their famous first class with suites. Still their business class was more than adequate. 

No argument about Emirates over Delta.  In fact, we prefer many foreign airlines over any US airline.  But, Delta had the right flight at the right time and I truly chickened-out on La Campagnie.  It is an independent all-business class airline with a great reputation but very few aircraft and flights.  My concern was, if they had some kind of mechanical problem there are not many options.  We still want to try La Compagnie, and would more likely consider them for the next time we decide to go to France for some kind of land trip, where we would have less concerns about a flight being cancelled, for example, for a mechanical problem.  Not only do we like their entire concept (all Business class) but also see advantages to flying-in to Orly as opposed to CDG.

Hank

• Like 1

On 6/24/2024 at 7:32 PM, FLAlaska said:

I get that. But I still don’t get the attitude that you can’t possibly go earlier

because Princess EZ air isn’t available. And do you really need the protection of missing the cruise if you are going a week early?

Im not  trying to be argumentative, I get the ability to change flights, wait to pay , etc may be affected, but EZ Air would never be a deal killer to extending my trip 

Short answer: yes! Because "stuff" happens.                                                      We know this first-hand and were very glad to have had both EZAir and Princess Vacation Protection when a transatlantic cruise did not stop in one of the two official disembarkation ports. You could book the cruise to get off in either LeHavre or in Southampton, and we were getting off in LeHavre. But "because of weather" (undisclosed what weather), the ship could not get into port and everyone had to sail on to Southampton. [We believe the real reason was a stevedore strike in France.] At any rate, those with EZAir were flown, at Princess's expense and with Princess doing all the legwork, to the return flight departure city on their EZ Air ticket. Those without EZAir were left to get to wherever they were going (for most people, including us, it was Paris) of their own devices and at their own expense -- even if you had Princess Insurance. 

• Like 1