Do they still rent tuxes on the QM2?

Tenderpaw

From the Cunard website 

Question Can I hire formal wear?

Answer

Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria

Yes, gentlemen can hire tuxedos including shirts, trousers and dinner jackets on board from the shops.

Tuxedo packages range from $90 for one night up to $250 for 5 nights.

We do not currently offer a hire service for ladies formal wear on board, however a range of woman's evening wear is available to purchase from our on board shops. 

Queen Elizabeth

Yes, gentlemen can hire tuxedos (trousers and dinner jackets) on board from the shops.

Tuxedo packages range from $130 for one night up to $250 for 5 nights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I struggle to see why you'd hire, outside of actually forgetting to pack it, when you can have your own for not much more than the cost of one night's hire.

Yes, I was under the impression they would be more for people whose airline had failed to deliver checked luggage in time at the arriving airport. Or for those completely oblivious to the dress code, or who had initially decided to stay Lido/Kings Court, but on the day decided they did want to participate. So yes, an emergency service. M&S (via pre-order online) can sell a reasonable dinner jack / tuxedo jacket, trousers and shirt for £150 / $190, so hiring for one night is going to be around the same cost. And on eBay you can get a second hand  combination in excellent condition, maybe worn once, for under half that. 

• Like 1

Here's a tip.  If you have nearby wedding/formal wear rental shops, they often will sell good condition used tuxedos. The price can be lower than renting.  Buy a classic one and it will last you for every voyage. My husband's has been used for on son's proms, and for more cruises than I can count.  He is very proud that he can still squeeze into it 🙂

• Like 2

Slater's Menswear has branches around the UK (Basingstoke is nearest to Soton).

Dinner suits start around £100 and go as high as you're prepared to pay.

I paid a lot, my son paid a little. It's hard to tell them apart without seeing the label.

I really don't understand why anyone would want to hire and pay more.

• Like 2