Lunch and Shopping in town

auburngirl

We have been to Cozumel at least 10 times on Carnival and always go to Mr Sanchos and shop at the port. We want to do something different and go eat at a local restaurant in town and shop. Can anyone make recommendations on a restaurant and tell me where we can shop?

Shopping is all along the plaza and the surrounding streets.  For lunch, Casa Denis, just off the plaza, is the oldest Cozumel restaurant.  La Clasica on Ave 5Norte a block in from the Museum is a great place. Casa Mission at the Plaza has good food and often a maharachi band playing at the tables.

If all you want is tacos, your choice between El Pique, Mr. Taco or La Tacolates (old Los Oates).Can't error at any of them.

• Like 1

What kind of food are you looking for, and how far are you willing to go from the main drag?

I can recommend lots of places, but it really depends on what you're looking for.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

DH and I have the tradition of going to the Cozumel Museum. If you haven’t, it is not expensive and has some nice exhibits. The best part is the balcony restaurant. We love getting margaritas and guacamole there, sit in the shade and have a beautiful view of the old port. Now we just hang a left up the stairs and have a nice snack or lunch break. 

Shopping:
 Los Cinco Soles 
 https://loscincosoles.com/?v=7516fd43adaa
 Ave. Rafael E. Melgar and Calle 8 Nte, Centro, 77600 Cozumel

Restaurant:
 In the courtyard of Los Cinco Soles is Pancho's Backyard
 https://www.panchosbackyard.com

Google Map:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+Five+Suns/@20.5141259,-86.9473256,132m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x8f4e59cbdd1913c9:0x6434e778f64082a9!8m2!3d20.5141507!4d-86.9469564!16s%2Fg%2F1ptz5rl4d?hl=en&entry=ttu  

• Like 1

On 7/14/2024 at 1:43 PM, jackiel3290 said:

DH and I have the tradition of going to the Cozumel Museum. If you haven’t, it is not expensive and has some nice exhibits. The best part is the balcony restaurant. We love getting margaritas and guacamole there, sit in the shade and have a beautiful view of the old port. Now we just hang a left up the stairs and have a nice snack or lunch break. 

Have you been recently? Who is running it since Novena Ola left? I don’t see any recent reviews on TripAdvisor.

4 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Have you been recently? Who is running it since Novena Ola left? I don’t see any recent reviews on TripAdvisor.

We haven’t been since  before Covid, so I am not current. Their website lists the restaurant as Novena Ola.

9 hours ago, jackiel3290 said:

We haven’t been since  before Covid, so I am not current. Their website lists the restaurant as Novena Ola.

I checked Google and it appears Novena Ola is permanently closed: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Novena+Ola/@20.5131048,-86.9504015,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x8f4e59f7d51c1941:0x9a70b85f45f9bc42!8m2!3d20.5131048!4d-86.9478266!16s%2Fg%2F11nccdw0yj?entry=ttu  

1 hour ago, Oviedo32765 said:

It has been closed over 12 months. Rumor had it a Cancun company was moving in. I believe it is now called Oasis restaurant but there don’t seem to be many reviews and I don’t know if they are the company from the mainland.

I think Novena Ola was part of Grupo Novena Ola which also owns La Monina and Sky Reef.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jackiel3290 said:

Bummer,  hopefully the new one will be as good. I will report after our Aug 25 cruise. 

Please report back! We will be in Cozumel in November.

I was dissapointed to see Novena Ola was closed, especially after finding photos of the restaurant on google maps. Looked very inviting. Always looking for new places to visit.

2 hours ago, Oviedo32765 said:

Please report back! We will be in Cozumel in November.

I was dissapointed to see Novena Ola was closed, especially after finding photos of the restaurant on google maps. Looked very inviting. Always looking for new places to visit.

Serena gets good reviews and is one I would like to try. 

we have enjoyed La Monina and Hemingway’s for views. Also Aqui y Ahora if you are mobile enough to climb up to the rooftop for coffee/drinks and snacks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2024 at 9:31 AM, Oviedo32765 said:

Shopping:
 Los Cinco Soles 
 https://loscincosoles.com/?v=7516fd43adaa
 Ave. Rafael E. Melgar and Calle 8 Nte, Centro, 77600 Cozumel

Restaurant:
 In the courtyard of Los Cinco Soles is Pancho's Backyard
 https://www.panchosbackyard.com

Google Map:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+Five+Suns/@20.5141259,-86.9473256,132m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x8f4e59cbdd1913c9:0x6434e778f64082a9!8m2!3d20.5141507!4d-86.9469564!16s%2Fg%2F1ptz5rl4d?hl=en&entry=ttu  

My late DH and I went to Los Cinco Soles and Pancho's Backyard back in 2011, I believe, and really enjoyed it. Now, my DD and I will be visiting Cozumel in a few weeks on RCCL's Wonder of the Seas. I would love to go back to both of these places again, but it's a long walk from the ship and we aren't sure about the two of us getting a taxi. With all of the recent reports of safety issues in that area, how sate and easy would it be for us to get down there to shop and eat? There is also a particular brand of tequila that I remember seeing at Los Cinco Soles that I would like to find that I think is only available in that area (nowhere outside of Mexico, I believe).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and help.

1 hour ago, sushigirl53 said:

My late DH and I went to Los Cinco Soles and Pancho's Backyard back in 2011, I believe, and really enjoyed it. Now, my DD and I will be visiting Cozumel in a few weeks on RCCL's Wonder of the Seas. I would love to go back to both of these places again, but it's a long walk from the ship and we aren't sure about the two of us getting a taxi. With all of the recent reports of safety issues in that area, how sate and easy would it be for us to get down there to shop and eat? There is also a particular brand of tequila that I remember seeing at Los Cinco Soles that I would like to find that I think is only available in that area (nowhere outside of Mexico, I believe).

Not sure I would be worried about safety concerns - tourists are not being targeted to my knowledge, although there is always the chance of getting caught up in something by being in the wrong place, just like anywhere else. 

Taxis are not a problem. Chances are you would be in a taxi mini van from the port along with several other couples and the only scam will be they will try to charge each couple/party $8/10 unless you makes “friends with others in line and agree to share official price in advance. Obviously don’t tip if you are overcharged.

Alternatively you can walk to Puerta Maya and go to Panchos Backyard location there. I don’t drink tequila and have no knowledge of availability. 

17 hours ago, sushigirl53 said:

I was in Cozumel last March and can say things seemed safe at that time. Most of the problems are on the main land.  Just be vigilant and aware of your surroundings. Don't venture too far off the main road, and don't fall for scams and rip-offs from street vendors and pan-handlers. 

Lunch.thumb.jpg.7f5f79b02aa8f14ac88288764752bfa4.jpg

As c-legs5 said - taxis are not a problem. 

Look for signs posting current taxi rates in the port area.

Taxi_Fare.thumb.jpg.535af7c877ddbdc3934ce2045182beeb.jpg

The taxi fare from town should be the same as from the port to town. Before getting in any taxi, make sure you and the taxi driver have agreed on the fare.

Have a wonderful cruise and I hope you find that special brand of tequila!