City/ hotel recommendations to sight see before cruise out of Rome please

brockmom

Hello !

We have just begun our research but if anyone can please point me towards the starting 

position, I would be grateful.

We are cruising out of Rome…but want to fly into a city between Venice and Rome somewhere,

where we can stay for a few nights with our luggage…and do day trips to the sites we want to see.

Venice is definitely one place for sure as well as Florence and Pisa we want.to visit. ( take the train to )

I did peek at Bologna as well as Luca ….is there any other suggestions for us ?

or recommendations? 
thank you !

brockmom

Rome-Florence-Venice are on a single train line. Florence is about 90 minutes from Rome, and Venice is another 2 hours. You could fly into Venice, spend a couple nights, then train to Florence for a couple nights and then move over to Rome for a couple nights. Not enough time in any of the places, but an option. 

Thanks CruiserBruce….

my concern is dragging my luggage  and affordable accommodations.

i kind of thought if we found something mid way to fly into….and avoid taking the luggage on the train or into Venice might be easier

for me to manage. Then use the train to sight see…..

I would also think to stay right in Venice would be more costly….

Also thought spending the extra on a private or shared car service 

into Rome or Civit, might be worth it to us…..at the end.

lots to look into lol …

Ros

2 hours ago, brockmom said:

and avoid taking the luggage  into Venice might be easier

There is an option for "left luggage" at the Venice Train Station so you would only need to pack a small carry on or backpack with the few items you would need for such a short stay.

There may be other locations, just google "left luggage in Venice" (or any other places you may want to consider this)

Bologna could be a decent enough option as a base  for both Florence and Venice, although not as practical for Rome given the travel distance.

@brockmom

Another option would be to fly into Venice. Spend a couple of nights there. There are reasonable accommodations near the train station. Then train to Rome for 4 days.  Take the train to Florence one day from Rome or look at shared excursions from one of the recommended tour companies.  Then use a shared shuttle from Rome to get to Civitavecchia. This will minimize dealing with your luggage.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1