Lots of views but few replies ....

JeffNZ

Posted (edited)

Hey all - Why is this page so quiet?  Some posts have lots of views but no replies.  And the roll calls make it look like the poster is the "only gay in the village".  Where is everyone?  Are people shy? Or is there another place I should be looking?

Edited by JeffNZ
typo

On 6/30/2024 at 4:29 AM, JeffNZ said:

Hey all - Why is this page so quiet?  Some posts have lots of views but no replies.  And the roll calls make it look like the poster is the "only gay in the village".  Where is everyone?  Are people shy? Or is there another place I should be looking?

Hey JeffNZ - welcome to Cruise Critic!

I know!  Lots of views but then silence.

I have tried to start threads that I figured would get some traction but nothing.

6+ months ago there was significant activity in this forum, but of late nothing to speak of.

I love the fact that this forum is here, but if it is not seen as bringing value, then that is likely why others are not participating.

I hope that it is not just for roll calls and the potential of hooking up if you happen to be on the same sailing....?

• Like 1

Hello! I’ve posted here but agree, it’s often quiet.  The regular roll calls have so much more activity.  

but when I go aboard, often folks only have vague understanding of what cruise critic is at the LGBT meetups. I suspect they spend their time on other apps 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/2/2024 at 6:17 PM, Dobby36 said:

Hello! I’ve posted here but agree, it’s often quiet.  The regular roll calls have so much more activity.  

but when I go aboard, often folks only have vague understanding of what cruise critic is at the LGBT meetups. I suspect they spend their time on other apps 😉

Cruise Critic is largely a USA frequented site.  There is not much European or other country participation.

We have UK, Australia, and Canada with some participation, but not many other countries.  

I am speaking in generalities.

This I found when we decided to go on a Hurtigruten expedition cruise to Antarctica and posted in the Hurtigruten forum, hoping to get some Norwegian's posting real life experience and that was almost a non-starter.  Hurtigruten is not - or was not - a popular US choice for cruise line, therefore little activity.

Sad really but true with this forum.

I don't go to the roll calls on this form because we don't sail the larger lines, but in general we are not "roll call people" in general regardless of the line we are sailing.  We meet people naturally on a ship and don't try to do so prior. 

• Like 2

Welp! I'm here too. But I don't really need anything gay specific when I'm looking for cruises, gathering information, etc. I don't mind participating in conversations when they occur and are interesting. We (husband and I) eschew the group gay gatherings as we don't tend to define who we congregate with based on sexuality. If it were 15 years ago and I were in my twenties, I'm sure I'd be all over those. 🦄

15 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Welp! I'm here too. But I don't really need anything gay specific when I'm looking for cruises, gathering information, etc. I don't mind participating in conversations when they occur and are interesting. We (husband and I) eschew the group gay gatherings as we don't tend to define who we congregate with based on sexuality. If it were 15 years ago and I were in my twenties, I'm sure I'd be all over those. 🦄

We are the same... for us cruising is about the destinations, the ship, and the overall experience and we just love to meet and interact with different people.  All the friends we have made cruising are straight.  We met one gay couple once and had lunch with them but with them it was all about being gay and we spent the rest of the cruise trying to avoid them.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

The only thread that gets any real activity is the "retire Friends of Dorothy" thread. I think it points to the very real generational differences among gay cruisers. I remember when there were no all-gay cruises, and everyone assumed a single, male cruiser was looking for swinging chicks to fool around with. Gay couples typically didn't go on cruises. I still go to the gay meet-ups, as I'm usually traveling solo and hope to meet people to socialize with. Today's cruises are much more out, open, and accepting -but a single guy (gay or straight) is still a fifth wheel in most situations...

One of the challenges with using CruiseCritic is that they won't let you talk about other forums, which makes it hard to organize groups. I'd much rather go on a cruise where I know there will be a lot of other gay men aboard, but right now the only option is to book a special gay group cruise, which has very limited options in terms of ships, lines, itineraries, and dates.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, fshepinc said:

The only thread that gets any real activity is the "retire Friends of Dorothy" thread. I think it points to the very real generational differences among gay cruisers. I remember when there were no all-gay cruises, and everyone assumed a single, male cruiser was looking for swinging chicks to fool around with. Gay couples typically didn't go on cruises. I still go to the gay meet-ups, as I'm usually traveling solo and hope to meet people to socialize with. Today's cruises are much more out, open, and accepting -but a single guy (gay or straight) is still a fifth wheel in most situations...

One of the challenges with using CruiseCritic is that they won't let you talk about other forums, which makes it hard to organize groups. I'd much rather go on a cruise where I know there will be a lot of other gay men aboard, but right now the only option is to book a special gay group cruise, which has very limited options in terms of ships, lines, itineraries, and dates.

I have travels with my partner and solo, on general and gayony cruises.  Next ruise is a "bears" one for Hallowen.  I agree, greta to meet up with like minded folk.

On 7/26/2024 at 1:18 PM, fshepinc said:

This is a response to this post, but also a question to the Moderators.

I am not sure if this would be allowed on Cruise Critic, but if we wanted to create a group that was interested in building a small/medium sized group to go on a cruise, could we share a contact email to start the ball rolling?

This would not be a "gay cruise" but it would be a mainstream cruise that we just put a group of 20 or so together?

If I / We were to be involved, we would likely be more interested in a non-Caribbean cruise and on lines such as Viking, Oceania, or the like.

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I am not sure if this would be allowed on Cruise Critic, but if we wanted to create a group that was interested in building a small/medium sized group to go on a cruise, could we share a contact email to start the ball rolling?

This would not be a "gay cruise" but it would be a mainstream cruise that we just put a group of 20 or so together?

If I / We were to be involved, we would likely be more interested in a non-Caribbean cruise and on lines such as Viking, Oceania, or the like.

@CDNPolar

Please note the following portions from the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships:

"The Community Manager has overall control of everything that happens within the Community. The Community Manager oversees how the board is styled, what forums to create and how to organize them, is responsible for our Rules of Participation, what information to require from members and who to appoint as Community Hosts. You may contact the Community Manager at: community@cruisecritic.com"

"... Discussion of the management of this community is not allowed on the forums..."

"... However, we would be happy to address any concerns you have via email.   Please write to the Community Manager at:  community@cruisecritic.com..."

"... If you have any questions or comments regarding our posting guidelines or any content found on our message boards please be sure and let me know. I'll be happy to discuss them with you.

LauraS
Senior Manager, Community
community@cruisecritic.com ..."

Please send your email with any questions/comments/feedback to LauraS, Senior Manager, Community at community@cruisecritic.com.  Also, please send the email from your current Cruise Critic email address of record and be sure to mention your Cruise Critic user name. This is so your membership can be verified, and reply sent to your current Cruise Critic email address of record. If your current Cruise Critic email address of record is not correct and needs to be updated before you send your email, please click the following: How To: Update your Cruise Critic Email Address

9 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Your idea certainly has merit, but the downfall to the concept would be the cruise lines selected rather than the itinerary.  In my circle of friends the younger crowd would like the "popular" ( a term used by many travel writers and reviewers) such as Carnival, NCL, and Royal Caribbean.   The 50+ set have grown past that scene and prefer the "premium" lines such as Holland, Princess, and Celebrity, very often selecting longer voyages in the 20-60 day range.  No one has or would select the "upscale" lines like Viking and Oceania owing in part to the price point as well as the attitude on board,  The ultra deluxe are of no interest.  Interest in such a group cruise on Celebrity or Princess might get traction.  We all live very close to the cruise ship docks, our favourite patio looks across at bay at the ships, so conversation about cruises are very frequent and there are strong likes and avoidances voiced!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, yyjguy said:

No one has or would select the "upscale" lines like Viking and Oceania owing in part to the price point as well as the attitude on board,  The ultra deluxe are of no interest.  Interest in such a group cruise on Celebrity or Princess might get traction.  We all live very close to the cruise ship docks, our favourite patio looks across at bay at the ships, so conversation about cruises are very frequent and there are strong likes and avoidances voiced!

Sorry - I need to ask what is the "attitude on board" Viking and Oceania?

On 8/3/2024 at 2:17 AM, CDNPolar said:

Sorry - I need to ask what is the "attitude on board" Viking and Oceania?

I wonder too.   We love Oceania.   I have certainly not encountered any “attitude”.   Just lovely, well traveled, well mannered interesting people.

We are both now retired so the longer cruises definitely interest us.   

Joe

16 hours ago, JoePDX said:

I wonder too.   We love Oceania.   I have certainly not encountered any “attitude”.   Just lovely, well traveled, well mannered interesting people.

We are both now retired so the longer cruises definitely interest us.   

Joe

We are same experience with over 10 Viking cruises now.  Lovely people, well travelled, experienced, open and accepting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried numerous times to revive this forum, it kinda died with the arrival of the pandemic and hasn't really recovered since.  It doesn't help that I mostly sail HAL/Princess and these lines don't attract an overwhelming amount of FOD, although they are very supportive cruise lines with both having M/G's consistently from night to night, usually in the same location, just before dinner.  And not someplace that would attract looky loo's either. 

Ironically, I find straights onboard to be far friendlier anyway.  My last cruise had a bear group, not large, maybe 30ish people, and my partner and I tried many times to strike up a conversation whenever we bumped into anyone wearing their logo...and....NOTHING!  No response or they'd stare back at us with a blank expression like we just dropped down from Mars.  So I can't say I'd want to go out of my way to travel with such a group.   

4 hours ago, atexsix said:

I've tried numerous times to revive this forum, it kinda died with the arrival of the pandemic and hasn't really recovered since.  It doesn't help that I mostly sail HAL/Princess and these lines don't attract an overwhelming amount of FOD, although they are very supportive cruise lines with both having M/G's consistently from night to night, usually in the same location, just before dinner.  And not someplace that would attract looky loo's either. 

Ironically, I find straights onboard to be far friendlier anyway.  My last cruise had a bear group, not large, maybe 30ish people, and my partner and I tried many times to strike up a conversation whenever we bumped into anyone wearing their logo...and....NOTHING!  No response or they'd stare back at us with a blank expression like we just dropped down from Mars.  So I can't say I'd want to go out of my way to travel with such a group.   

Slightly off topic but related to your reply was my experience on The Sun Princess in April. My partner and I met a group of primarily bears at a M&G and they were a very fun group of guys. Very open, very fun, and very accepting. My partner is a charming gregarious guy so that might have facilitated this but I really liked this group-except when I wanted a slice of pizza poolside!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chad_O said:

Slightly off topic but related to your reply was my experience on The Sun Princess in April. My partner and I met a group of primarily bears at a M&G and they were a very fun group of guys. Very open, very fun, and very accepting. My partner is a charming gregarious guy so that might have facilitated this but I really liked this group-except when I wanted a slice of pizza poolside!

Maybe we were just unlucky.  There happened to be two small lesbian groups on this same cruise and they were a blast!  

Well, as the title says, "lots of views but few replies"...

People are looking and perhaps reading, but I guess they don't have an opinion...

On 7/1/2024 at 12:27 AM, Jared2 said:

You can also check out the Meet Me On Board app, it relaunched in June.

From what I can see, that app only lists gay-specific cruises…..or am I not understanding all of their options on that app ?