Queen Anne Northern Europe & Scandinavia — H416

MylesS

Just now, exlondoner said:

The thing is the longer you leave it, the worse it will get. What about booking something just a few weeks ahead so you have something to look forward to soon when you do tear yourself away?

Also, I’m not sure QA and Iceland are ideally suited. You need to pick somewhere warmer to benefit from all that wonderful outdoor space.

11 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

The thing is the longer you leave it, the worse it will get. What about booking something just a few weeks ahead so you have something to look forward to soon when you do tear yourself away?

I did think about it, but it’s a lot of the same after Iceland. Some ports changed but very much the same when I had a quick look earlier.

My way of thinking is once Iceland is over and she goes back to the Mediterranean there’s little point in me continuing. 

Still, we shall see! I do agree with your comment on her not being fully suitable for Iceland, and I believe Queen Mary 2 is going next year so maybe worth saving it for then 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MylesS said:

I did think about it, but it’s a lot of the same after Iceland. Some ports changed but very much the same when I had a quick look earlier.

My way of thinking is once Iceland is over and she goes back to the Mediterranean there’s little point in me continuing. 

Still, we shall see! I do agree with your comment on her not being fully suitable for Iceland, and I believe Queen Mary 2 is going next year so maybe worth saving it for then 

I think she will be perfect for Iceland, you have the huge Pavillion pool area to lounge about in, and the benefit of the roof, if it to chilly to be in the real outdoors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MylesS said:

Our favourite show tonight, Imagination. This I don’t mind seeing 100 times, as it’s just that good. 

I have to thank you profusely for this tip. I don't normally go to the Royal Court Theatres, I prefer the Queens Room on the whole, maybe Commodore, but based on the above snippet I went along to Imagination tonight in the RCT and it was really very good.

image.thumb.jpeg.400767a8ae54d0e15b9233b738bda1d9.jpeg

Like several other QA shows going around, it's probably best not to describe it too much, but it was an interesting performance, combining the music of The Clash, Bowie, Queen, Coldplay, Public Service Broadcasting, Sams Ryder and Fender (and yes a sample from Stormzy!). The performers were a credit to themselves, their Company, Cunard and the performing arts in the UK.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Pushpit said:

I have to thank you profusely for this tip. I don't normally go to the Royal Court Theatres, I prefer the Queens Room on the whole, maybe Commodore, but based on the above snippet I went along to Imagination tonight in the RCT and it was really very good.

image.thumb.jpeg.400767a8ae54d0e15b9233b738bda1d9.jpeg

Like several other QA shows going around, it's probably best not to describe it too much, but it was an interesting performance, combining the music of The Clash, Bowie, Queen, Coldplay, Public Service Broadcasting, Sams Ryder and Fender (and yes a sample from Stormzy!). The performers were a credit to themselves, their Company, Cunard and the performing arts in the UK.

Has any classical music appeared on QA? That is far more of a worry to me than having slightly fewer Gala Nights. I haven’t heard of most of the people mentioned above, but assume it’s pop music.

6 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Has any classical music appeared on QA? That is far more of a worry to me than having slightly fewer Gala Nights. I haven’t heard of most of the people mentioned above, but assume it’s pop music.

Yes, the Brevis String Trio - a Cunard regular - are doing the rounds, and the two pianists are separately tripping through the more traditional canon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I was on the QA Maiden.  A young lady who informed us she was the "Activities Manager" (to be honest I thought it sounded like something from my late father's care home) bounced up to be sociable and have a chat.  Being classical music fans who attend concerts at home and very much enjoy the traditional classical concerts and other similar entertainment on the other 3 Cunard ships on which we have sailed many times I asked her when classical music was featuring.  She said It's not.  All that has gone.  Oh just on QA says me.  No, across the board.  Not good.  I'm not keen on pop and much else.  Each to their own, I know, but it did seem that something for all tastes is no longer going to be the case.  The QR concerts are not revenue earning opportunities.  I dont think such an event would work in the QA QR that is a thoroughfare, more so than on the Vistas, and has a bar and noise.  

2 hours ago, Pushpit said:

I’m really glad you enjoyed it! I think it’s really well done and such an amazing use of modern theatre technology. 

Though, without spoiling too much for everyone else, one part does remind me a little too much of my old commute 😅

• Like 1

Just retiring for this evening but wanted to share again how good Imagination was this evening, still thoroughly enjoyed it.

After the show I proceeded to the bar where I tried a new cocktail created by one of the bar tenders (having one of their other creations a few weeks ago) - insanely good!

Since we skipped out on dessert at dinner we returned to the cabin and had the New York Baked Cheesecake from room service. We’ve had it before and it was again very good.

Fun day planned tomorrow meeting a friend and going to Miniature Wunderland for the afternoon. 

• Like 5

Today's Daily Programme for Queen Anne. 

Note that today was both a port day - Hamburg - and a disembarkation and embarkation day. Some passengers will be staying onboard, with Copenhagen the next stop, some will be leaving (including self) or joining at Hamburg. Hence the schedule of events is the middle of the day is pretty thin.

I also flag a note in this programme about an assistance dog on board.

QA02Jul24DP1.pdf

• Like 1

Cloudy and partly rainy Hamburg yesterday, but a nice day nonetheless.

We left the ship at around 11 and took the shuttle bus into the city centre, where we then went to the train station to meet an arriving friend.

We all then went to Miniature Wunderland, the world’s largest model railway. It’s been a few years since I’d last been, and it’s just as good as ever. Would really recommend if visiting Hamburg. 

IMG_6776.thumb.jpeg.cf1862c206c8b4153e1541fd6c036704.jpegIMG_6782.thumb.jpeg.f8eb3db0ab893eeab7c46d4139b50d32.jpegIMG_6783.thumb.jpeg.9d9febb44bb9a3fb3d98cea2e96c8171.jpeg

We then went back in the town centre and had a few beers in a local pub/bar. We managed to pick the same bar some of the Noir cast were using 😅

We managed to catch the 2nd to last shuttle bus to return to the ship, returning at just after 6pm. Queen Anne set sail maybe 10-15 minutes after 6:30pm.

The evening we didn’t do much, just a long day. So room service and a movie before sleep! 

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, MylesS said:

Cloudy and partly rainy Hamburg yesterday, but a nice day nonetheless.

We left the ship at around 11 and took the shuttle bus into the city centre, where we then went to the train station to meet an arriving friend.

We all then went to Miniature Wunderland, the world’s largest model railway. It’s been a few years since I’d last been, and it’s just as good as ever. Would really recommend if visiting Hamburg. 

IMG_6776.thumb.jpeg.cf1862c206c8b4153e1541fd6c036704.jpegIMG_6782.thumb.jpeg.f8eb3db0ab893eeab7c46d4139b50d32.jpegIMG_6783.thumb.jpeg.9d9febb44bb9a3fb3d98cea2e96c8171.jpeg

We then went back in the town centre and had a few beers in a local pub/bar. We managed to pick the same bar some of the Noir cast were using 😅

We managed to catch the 2nd to last shuttle bus to return to the ship, returning at just after 6pm. Queen Anne set sail maybe 10-15 minutes after 6:30pm.

The evening we didn’t do much, just a long day. So room service and a movie before sleep! 

Did you book the next cruise? Don’t keep us in suspense.

• Haha 4

On 7/1/2024 at 8:57 PM, exlondoner said:

I turned off volume when viewing bowcam to avoid the pop music. Relaxation 4 me was defined watching QM2 bow cam listening to the beautiful and peaceful rendition of Mozart piano concerto's serene slow movement in mid Atlantic storm.

• Like 1

Just now, sogne said:

I turned off volume when viewing bowcam to avoid the pop music. Relaxation 4 me was defined watching QM2 bow cam listening to the beautiful and peaceful rendition of Mozart piano concerto's serene slow movement in mid Atlantic storm.

Concerto 20 k466

• Like 1

5 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Did you book the next cruise? Don’t keep us in suspense.

Not yet! Trying to clean up some things at home from the ship first. Once (and if) that’s sorted before Southampton and it’s still available, I probably will extend. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Relaxing day at sea today, with a visit to the spa in the morning. Sitting in the large thermal pool was fun given the water was sloshing around with the movement of the ship.

A bit of work in 1840 before losing my hard earned money in the blackjack tournament (not even in the final this time!)

A small minor tasks and some board games before a lovely afternoon tea (our first on Queen Anne) which was nice.

Pre-dinner drinks are now underway! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

So I've been home now for 24 hours after my short trip on Queen Anne, and time for some reflections. This is my third Queen this year, I get the fourth, Queen Elizabeth, in October. Most of my recent Cunard history is Queen Victoria and Queen Mary 2, so I'm very comfortable with these ships in particular. This is the first new ship that I have been on in a very long time.

I enjoyed my time on QA, and would be happy to go again. But there is a however. There are a number of differences from the other Queens, not all of which work for me. The difference I do like are in no particular order:

• Better and more modern stateroom (I was in Club Balcony), particularly the bathroom, lighting system, a/c and power sockets.
  • The fact that the crew were largely very experienced, and I recognised a lot of them from the other ships.
  • Bright Lights Society, very well done.
  • Royal Court Company - very talented group of young performers.
  • The food and drink offering (very closely aligned with the other ships)
  • It wasn't particularly crowded, except perhaps at embarkation, otherwise the ship is big and spacious, with good improvements to the Golden Lion and Commodore Club.
  • No embarkation day failings that I noticed and disembarkation was very efficient.
  • Despite being a relatively new ship, pretty much everything worked.
  • Lots of new outside facilities such as the Wellness café, Panorama and Pavilion. They also were clever in trying to make them all weather facilities.
  • Deck 1 Drawing Room and surrounding areas were very tasteful, and very popular too, despite not being that big.
  • Insight lectures continue the tradition of being thought provoking and informative.
  • Loved the carpet design, and the fact that the chevrons changed colour for the different staircase colours. I would be good to fit that to the other ships.
  • Better soundproofing all round.

Things I noticed which were neither negative or positive overall

• More British staff running "front of house" operations.
  • The Library was lovely in terms of fittings but should be bigger.
  • Outside deck areas - lot of focus on that, plenty of spaces to enjoy the outdoors, but for me that's neutral since things like swimming in a small pool isn't something I would do.
  • Club was on the one hand a bit too big, but on the other hand had lots of seating options.
  • Britannia was nicely arranged but lacks the wow factor of the other 3 vessels.
  • Lifts, I didn't really see the problem, they went up or they went down and I didn't notice the doors being too speedy.

The negative areas for me were fairly few but...

• The ship has firmly detached itself from the collective history of Cunard, so no paintings, memorabilia, historical plaques. QA protrays herself as a holiday venue, the fact that one is at sea seems almost incidental.
  • Promenade deck - it's not terrible but it's just not as good as the other 3 ships, and for me it's a big feature of my enjoyment of Cunard ships. There would be scope to have an upper promenade on Deck 11, but that would have got in the way of other priorities.
  • QA is actually worse that QM2 in terms of corridors not connecting and some upper decks being difficult to reach.
  • Trying to reduce the emphasis on ballroom and Latin dancing, when it's actually more popular than say 10 years ago.
  • Chart Room is a bit soul-less, noisy in one section and quite chilly too.
  • Carinthia lounge isn't as good as QM2 or QE, it should be made more comfortable and inviting.
  • So far, at least, QA doesn't appear to be scheduled for anywhere new or different to the standard routes. Maybe the scope for that is diminishing, but it would be nice to have some new ports.

I have some longer QA trips next year. Note this other thread for the same sailing, but with a QG perspective.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/3016558-queen-anne-2-night-mini-cruise-in-queens-grill

• Like 3