Christmas Day 8 hours at Pan American Pier

MamaJenncruiser

We happen to be spending Christmas Day on a cruise with my family and it docks at Pan American Pier it seems. I know most things are closed and luckily we have visited Puerto Rico in past (never on a major holiday!) and am wondering how to get transport to Old Town or possibly to a place to jet ski or ATV? Does public transport run or just taxis? Are there vendors who will be waiting outside the port with some options?

Any ideas of what to do?

Jenn

1 hour ago, MamaJenncruiser said:

We happen to be spending Christmas Day on a cruise with my family and it docks at Pan American Pier it seems. I know most things are closed and luckily we have visited Puerto Rico in past (never on a major holiday!) and am wondering how to get transport to Old Town or possibly to a place to jet ski or ATV? Does public transport run or just taxis? Are there vendors who will be waiting outside the port with some options?

Any ideas of what to do?

Jenn

Apparently there are six ships making port calls in San Juan that day, so two will be docked at Pan American rather than OSJ. NCL and Royal Caribbean ships are the most likely candidates as they use Pan American for homeport operations in San Juan.

There's no mass transit from Pan American into OSJ and I wouldn't expect to see any tour operators at Pan American either. Cruise lines have been known to run shuttle buses from Pan American to OSJ, otherwise you have to take a taxi or Uber.

Unfortunately this isn't an ideal situation, with six ships carrying upwards of 20,000 passengers, all docked in San Juan on a major holiday. Your best bet may be to take a tour sponsored by your cruise ship.

2 hours ago, Moparop said:

We will be on Symphony one week later, docking in San Juan on New Years Day. Should we expect to be docking at Pan American as well, with most things closed?

Per cruisetimetables.com there will be three ships in port that day so you should be able to dock in OSJ.