Smoked salmon/lox on buffet

10 hours ago, complawyer said:

if you book a suite, breakfast is always in moderno. they have a small buffet set aside, as well as the regular menu. the buffet has lox, cream , tomato and onions available. the waiter can bring you an entire bagel, toasted or otherwise.

Only on certain ships.  Some use Cagney's and I was on one that used La Cuchina.  The newer ships have a Haven restaurant in the Haven.

Posted (edited)

Let the records reflect as I speak from cruising NCL for 25+ years, the garden cafe/buffet - prior to Haven days - has been serving smoked salmon, as well as at least one other kind of smoked whitefish, thinly sliced & boneless (can't remember whether it was trout, herring ... don't think it was sardines) daily for breakfast, DIY and plentiful; along with assorted cold cuts, cheese, etc. etc. in addition to the usual & popular hot and cold items expected, 10 to 15 varieties of fresh bakery items.  That's been true - always, in "steerage" - before the Epic's delivery to NCL and the Breakaway joining the fleet in 2013-14, not talking about the "suite" life and Haven experience !!  The salmon mousse has been around as well but it wasn't necessary a replacement when smoked salmon began disappearing in the buffet - heck, in the "old" days, finger food & cocktail-style appetizers often included salmon mousse on a wedge toast or cracker going around the "reception" ... I'm sure it's a typo, mouse returning to the buffet is a big no no and serious public health & food safety matters.  

Smoked salmon has been one of our favorite vs. bacon & sausage over the decades ... changes / reductions / simplifications (cutbacks) started more than 6 to 7 years ago, well before Covid and subsequent industry shutdown in early 2020.  For a time period, they're still available in the buffet by asking the crew behind the counter at one of the cold cut/refrigerated station ... not at the cook-to-order omelette or hot breakfast sections, for "obvious" reasons.  

PXL_20220514_132813213.thumb.jpg.30c4a6b1b6a88214e6998166a99742cf.jpg

Looking thru our collection of smoked salmon, mostly from the MDR over breakfast ... NCL used to do it with a bit of style & tasteful done, but within the last 2 to 3 years with the restart & return from the year long shutdown.  ... Not going to get into an exercise to debate merits, financials, cutbacks, expectations and passenger satisfactions as those are mostly & highly subjective and influenced by a multitude of factors & elements - let's just say agree to disagree, and, no need to quote or challenge this "critique" as it is mine and just as valid as someone else citing their suite life.  

Edited by mking8288

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2024 at 4:35 PM, IrieBajan54 said:

Since the restart, I haven't seen it in the buffet. I eat lox every morning so I've had no choice but to go to MDR for breakfast. Like you, my next cruise is on Princess for the first time since 2013. However, my sail date is 4 weeks out. Looking forward to having a choice for lox: Buffet or MDR.

I had it in the MDR on NCL.  Just remember to ask for both halves of the bagel.  Otherwise, you will only get 1, and they are tiny.

Recently on the Escape there was no salmon available on its own but on certain days they had wonderful salmon sandwiches available.

Anyway, the foot was excellent overall, even better than all the Royal Caribbean cruises I have been on.