Non-Alcoholic Beverage Carryon

Posted (edited)

We have a handful of cruises on Carnival, so limited experience.  We are going on a short just for fun cruise out of Long Beach.  Mrs Ldubs likes to have diet cran-pineapple juice.  It comes in a 64 oz bottle.  That seems in compliance with the carry-on volume allowance, but it is in violation of the no plastic bottle rule. 

What say the Carnival brain trust?  Is it worth a try, or should we just forget about it?

Edited by ldubs

They only allow cans or cartons (IIRC), no bottles of any kind (it's not the plastic, bottles can be filled with liqour and resealed). You might be able to find cans online.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been on the Panorama and the Radiance numerous times out of Long Beach. Every time we go past x-ray for carry on, there's always a huge tub filled with plastic water bottles, juices and soda in glass bottles that have been confiscated. They're pretty strict on the 12 ounces cans. 

• Like 2

Excellent info.  Thanks to all.  We are also going on the Radiance.  Sadly, the specific juice she wanted to bring only comes in a 64 oz plastic bottle.   Not a huge deal.  Just one of those "it would be nice if" mentioned by Mrs Ldubs.  Being the good husband, I told here I knew exactly how to find out!  

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Cruising Shar Pei Mom said:

How many cans of soda can you bring on board and can they be the big tall cans? Thanks!

Generally 12 regular sized cans of soda per person.

• Like 1

If you drink a lot of soda, and don't want to pay for all you can drink soda, you can also bring on 12 at every port. 🤷‍♀️ So, if you want to restock partway through the cruise, it's possible. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DeniseTr said:

I'm going to try a case of Rockstar. 10 cans per case, but they are 16 Oz. 

Hopefully they will let it thru. Didn't have problem on RCL.

The RCL policies are not Carnival's.

5 hours ago, DeniseTr said:

I'm going to try a case of Rockstar. 10 cans per case, but they are 16 Oz. 

Hopefully they will let it thru. Didn't have problem on RCL.

3 hours ago, FloridaMomKW said:

Hi, has anyone tried to bring the still water from liquid death? The box comes 8ea 19.2oz? I have attached a picture of the carton, hopefully it will come out.

IMG_8576.jpeg

The rule is 12oz cans or LESS per their website and official rules. They will not allow cans that are larger than that (unless you're lucky).

Now that you know the rule, you can (try to) bring those on at your own peril.

It's a crapshoot that will fall to how literally the individual security screener you get interprets the rule. It seems the intent behind the rule is to prevent smuggling of alcohol and to limit the overall volume of non-alcoholic beverages brought onboard (to prevent a black market soda distribution ring from happening, I'm sure😆).

If it was me screening and the cans were non-alcoholic and you had less than 144 oz total (or close enough) I wouldn't bat an eye but Mr. YouRemindMeOfSomeoneWhoPickedOnMeInHighSchool might decide to throw his weight around and confiscate your cans on the grounds they are 16 oz and not 12 oz or under just because he can.

• Like 1