When do you arrive?

1of4

23 hours ago, notamermaid said:

I do not know what VIA is but it sounds like the greater London suburban trains I took over 20 years ago... ICE is very good, no swaying as far as I can tell, except when entering an area with many points, like Cologne main station, and even that is bearable. TGV is according to hearsay even better. Very smooth, the acceleration to the enormous speed can be felt, like in a fast car. What can happen is that trains move with the curve but that is again smooth and the dedicated high speed tracks tend to have few narrow curves. But even the standard carriages on the main lines are usually so modern that I would not call it a problem. But that only you can assess. I find flying and being on ocean waters (which I can only do with medication) far worse than any train I have been on.

notamermaid

14 hours ago, 1of4 said:

VIA is Canada’s national passenger train corporation. It’s my experience of train trips between cities. I have never been on a high speed train…not even a subway since mid 2015. But the information on this thread has really provided a lot of confidence that this is the way to go next June. I really appreciate everyone for providing me with this information. 

Haha... yes, VIA Rail in Canada.  My experience is that if it is actually moving and not sitting on a siding waiting for a freight train to pass, that it is incredibly motion heavy to the point that it is difficult to walk down the isle.

I do hope @1of4 that you find your way with this.  I have a friend that suffers in a similar way to you and when she is in an attack it is horrible for her, although she has no idea of what sets them off.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 1of4 said:

VIA is Canada’s national passenger train corporation. It’s my experience of train trips between cities. I have never been on a high speed train…not even a subway since mid 2015. But the information on this thread has really provided a lot of confidence that this is the way to go next June. I really appreciate everyone for providing me with this information. 

Don't feel bad, we took the train1x (well, twice, we had to come back). Not a good experience as we were late getting to destinations both times. So glad I left lots of time to get through the airport, if we had been cutting it close we would have missed our train. Returning, we were 1/2 hr late leaving, and 2 1/2 hrs late getting in. My poor Dad was overdone on the coffee waiting for us. 😉  Never been on a subway.

The trains we took in Europe were on time (actually we almost missed one as it was sitting there early and we were thinking it would be leaving and our train coming in) and smooth. We did have a short trip on a high speed, but I don't think it was a long enough distance to get to the full speed...but it did go a lot faster than our milk run ones. 

• Like 1