Insulin Storage on Volendam

Always check with your pharmacist, but as a nurse this has been our standard for many many years. All unopened vials, pens and Ozempic pens must be stored in fridge. Once it is opened, it does not need refrigeration. Most insulins stable for 4 weeks and Ozempic stable for 6 weeks unrefrigerated at room temp. I would never lie a pen or vial against ice, for fear of a small area of vial/cartridge or pen freezing. Insulin is not to be used if it freezes. 

Having said all that, it is important to always take an extra vial/cartridge or pen with you incase of pen failure or loss. That extra should be kept cool until opened. Never leave your stash in a hot vehicle, and always carry in carry on.

In all my cruises, we have never had a fridge but a mini cooler instead. At one time, the cruise line would bring a mini fridge to your cabin for medical needs. Could ask them. 

Check with pharmacist tho.

• Like 4

My understanding is it’s more important to have opened insulin hidden from light and at temperatures below 86 degrees but not freezing ( per FDA website for medical storage). You can do this for 28 days.  Type 2 for about 11 years…cursed disease.  Went into military at 19, unaware my Dad and his Dad were diabetics at around 35 years old.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My husband has injectable meds. We have an approved ice pack in a cooler bag we take on our flight. In our cabin, I put ice cubes in the container and store it in the fridge. The ice stays for several days and doesn't freeze the meds.