Did I Mess Up Dining?

We cruise on Discovery in August (before the dining changes from what I understand).  With the "dine my way", I was under the impression that we should just show up at one of the MDRs and we should have no trouble getting a table. In fact, it sounded like we could even request the same time/table/servers if we wanted. The more I look, the more it seems like booking a standing time daily is the best (only?) way to make that happen.

I did try to book on the app, but with the cruise coming up fast, and with a party of 6, time slots are VERY limited.  If we were to drop a couple family members, the times opened right up (not an ideal option though 🙂 ).  My mom is diabetic and really should be eating at roughly the same time (earlyish).  Am I just completely out of luck, or is there some way to book an earlier time slot nightly for 6 people?  Should I call, or plead my case (with whom) once on board?

I really appreciate any advice/experience anyone could share.

Thank you!!

Mike

I would drop a few family members and make reservations for a time that you want.  Then when you board, ask at the dining room that is open for lunch who you should talk to to adjust your reservation.  I would think they would just find you a bigger table.  But, you might have to be flexible with slight variations between nights.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

@ChbyMnky

there is a live Discovery Princess Thread  that started their voyage today. It’s very fuzzy in the patter photo a.k.a. the newsletter. But it does say that you can call the dine line. I believe it’s phone number 38 or visit the catch by Rudi during certain times to rectify dining,it’s very difficult to read. I would wait till you get onboard and see if you can talk to someone that can accommodate your party of 6. As far as your diabetic mom, the ship has food all over to enjoy prior to the evening meal, but I hear you.

Yes ,you can always go to DR ( no reservation)with your party of 6 at 5 pm when they open. Might have to be patient, works just like a land based restaurant,sort of.

Early seating/ dining is very popular on Princess in my opinion,so patience is necessary .

Edited by arizonaperson

@arizonaperson I can indeed make it out and that does sound promising. I just hope the number of people doesn’t make it tough to get what we want. I know we won’t have trouble getting food, but it would be nice to know we can get into the MDR. Time will tell. I appreciate the assist. 

• Like 2

No - You did not "mess up dining". This is a Princess problem (not yours), one they've been struggling with for years. By comparison, the NCL megaships' system is remarkable smooth. I say this as a fan of Princess who hopes their new program gets them back on track.

I like Suekel's suggestion. Book something/anything, then try to adjust once onboard. Perhaps book one table under your name, then another smaller table for a similar time under the account of someone else from your family. Show up together.

The first night is likely to be a mess, but things should clear by the second. I've had good luck adjusting reservations after boarding, even for those cruises that appeared to have no preferred time availability prior to embarkation.

Good luck, and don't stress it too much!

Walkingsoon

• Like 1